Couple from the UK coming to travel USA and Canada for a year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When it comes to pickup trucks you really need to decide on a size and weight of trailer first, then decide on the appropriate tow vehicle.
That...or, you can buy a TV way bigger than anything you know you will be towing and not worry about the trailer's GVWR.
As a general rule of thumb I feel that you should not tow anything over about 21-22 feet with a half ton truck (F150 / Chevy 1500, etc.) if you are going to be traveling in the western mountain states.
Very good rule to abide by. But there are a lot of 1500/F-150 models that can tow 8000 pounds. And there are many TT in the ~25-foot range that weigh noticeably less than that. But it's a mix-and-match kind of thing. Which takes me back to my above comment about just buying a TV bigger than you expect to need.

It is not just about weight, wind area for cross winds on a 25 ft trailer is going to be more than for a 20 ft even, also the longer trailer will have more leverage from cross winds acting on the hitch.

That...or, you can buy a TV way bigger than anything you know you will be towing and not worry about the trailer's GVWR.

Very good rule to abide by. But there are a lot of 1500/F-150 models that can tow 8000 pounds. And there are many TT in the ~25-foot range that weigh noticeably less than that. But it's a mix-and-match kind of thing. Which takes me back to my above comment about just buying a TV bigger than you expect to need.
We decided on the F150 model that can tow up to 13,200 lbs, our trailer is 29ft passport ultra light (~5000 lbs) so we should be okay adding extra weight etc. Is there anything we should be aware of when towing a trailer I.e. tips on roads/ free camping? I have seen on other posts recommended that RVlife wizard app is good for setting up your trailer height etc not to take you down the roads which are going to be problematic, especially with the propane tanks etc.

We decided on the F150 model that can tow up to 13,200 lbs, our trailer is 29ft passport ultra light (~5000 lbs) so we should be okay adding extra weight etc. Is there anything we should be aware of when towing a trailer I.e. tips on roads/ free camping? I have seen on other posts recommended that RVlife wizard app is good for setting up your trailer height etc not to take you down the roads which are going to be problematic, especially with the propane tanks etc.
I'm giving an experienced opinion here: No F-150/1500 model is going to tow 13,000# at anywhere close to a comfortable level, no matter what the brochure or salesperson says. Oh, it can do it, but you will be white-knuckling it the whole time. RAM advertises 12,500# as a max towing cap for their 1500, but there is no way I would try to drag that much anywhere other than down the block. I definitely wouldn't be getting out on the freeway with it.

Now, that being said if your trailer only weighs ~6000 GVWR you should be fine with the F-150. Just don't get brave and think it can really tow twice that much or you will have a big problem.

I'm giving an experienced opinion here: No F-150/1500 model is going to tow 13,000# at anywhere close to a comfortable level, no matter what the brochure or salesperson says. Oh, it can do it, but you will be white-knuckling it the whole time. RAM advertises 12,500# as a max towing cap for their 1500, but there is no way I would try to drag that much anywhere other than down the block. I definitely wouldn't be getting out on the freeway with it.

Now, that being said if your trailer only weighs ~6000 GVWR you should be fine with the F-150. Just don't get brave and think it can really tow twice that much or you will have a big problem.
I think that's the towing capacity of the truck but the trailer weighs around 5000.... Well that's how I read it. đź‘€

I think that's the towing capacity of the truck but the trailer weighs around 5000.... Well that's how I read it. đź‘€
Yes, Jackie, I understand. I was just pointing out that even if their salesperson or the brochure says the towing cap of their F-150 is 13,000#, it is not.

You said, “decided on” but not that you purchased. I’ve heard, “too much truck is almost enough.” I have no experience towing anything long distance, but have seen this topic discussed here a ton.

If you haven’t purchased yet, I encourage you to consider as much truck as you can afford. Especially if buying used, you’ll get a large part of the extra cost you pay back when you sell. And you’ll have a much more comfortable ride and towing experience while you own it. Just my two pence.

Is that the maximum payload? Ours is 3,230
You really need to show me where you got these numbers. I have a much bigger truck than yours, with the max payload capacity available, and my off-the-line payload cap is 3900 pounds.
Yeah of course we won’t be towing this much anyway, but it must be an indication of how easily it will tow the 5000 of ours?
No matter your actual towing and payload cap, you should be able to tow 5000-6000 pounds just fine.

I still want to know where you got those numbers.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom