Dog ramp advice??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The one I made is 24" wide ans 90" long covered with outdoor carpet.

I made it with a 1/4 " sheet of plywood I cut in half length wise then put 2x4" boards along each edge about 2' from the edge. Then I screwed the two 2'x 8' pieces to the 2x4 boards. I got a piece of outdoor carpet 24" x 8' at Home Depot and I used spray on glue to attach the carpet to the wood.

I did cut off about 6"from the 8 ' length so it fir in our pass-thru  above the propane tank.

Used the ramp for our Lap for 2 years until he passed.

Attachments

• Ramp.jpg
    Ramp.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 35
Hanr3 said:
While this is an old thread. I appreciate it. I have a Shih Tzu that is blind from diabetes. She didn't like the RV steps before going blind and now won't even attempt them. Our other Shih Tzu doesn't care for the RV steps either. She generally jumps to the middle step and jumps into the camper. She has no trouble coming out, but hates to go up. The ramps are an excellent idea. I'll have to research that some more. I will also look into covering the back of the steps and see if that helps the one that can see. We currently carry the blind one up and down the steps.
Thanks for the thread.

I started this thread some time ago and since then have purchased and have been using this ramp:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RUJEUU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

During that time our dog now has issues with this rear legs and is very unsteady when he needs to put full weight on them. This ramp has worked very well providing a relatively easy way for him to enter & exit the coach. We put one end on the ground and the other on the lower step inside the coach which has proved to be the best angle for him. Having used it numerous time a day in over two seasons of traveling I can highly recommend it.

He also now has a halter that we use when taking him in and out and that provides a lot more control than just his collar.

My wife and I use the exact same ramp and a harness with our three legged Rottie cross (he's about 70 lbs). Works a treat. Thanks for this thread!

Tom

HoboDojo said:
My wife and I use the exact same ramp and a harness with our three legged Rottie cross (he's about 70 lbs). Works a treat. Thanks for this thread!

Tom

Good to hear Tom. As for our pooch, I'm very sorry to say he passed away during our last travels. He truly was an amazing dog and had a wonderful life with us. We miss him a great deal.

Just to add a quick tip here, we had a 110lb golden that had hip and arthritis problems and we got him a harness called the Help-em-up

With the two handles I was able to easily take half his weight off his legs and guide him up the ramp. Once we did it a couple of times he figured it out and from then on he would just wait at the bottom of the ramp for me. He still wouldn't go up or down the ramp by himself but had no objection to doing it with help and the harness.

As he aged it was also useful to get him up and down the stairs at home and in his last years he wore the harness all day. In the last 6 months he even developed a unique bark that meant "I'm waiting at the bottom of the stairs in the back yard for help" Smart dog and happy too, he made it to 13. I miss him.

Attachments

• IMG_20200814_170339063.jpg
    IMG_20200814_170339063.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 6
Old post but to some still a new issue. I have a 60lb service dog that does not like to jum in the truck any more. I got a folding ramp a couple years ago. I carry it in front of the 5W hitch against the tool box, hitch is out here but you can see the puck mounts.. Dog Ramp IMG_20201126_144515698.jpg

Just to add a quick tip here, we had a 110lb golden that had hip and arthritis problems and we got him a harness called the Help-em-up

With the two handles I was able to easily take half his weight off his legs and guide him up the ramp. Once we did it a couple of times he figured it out and from then on he would just wait at the bottom of the ramp for me. He still wouldn't go up or down the ramp by himself but had no objection to doing it with help and the harness.

As he aged it was also useful to get him up and down the stairs at home and in his last years he wore the harness all day. In the last 6 months he even developed a unique bark that meant "I'm waiting at the bottom of the stairs in the back yard for help" Smart dog and happy too, he made it to 13. I miss him.

Back
Top Bottom