Driver Cab Enclosure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueRidgeGypsy

Hey all, full-time 2006 Jayco Granite Ridge Class C owners here! We are in a high humidity environment and are getting a lot of moisture in our cab area. Aka soaking wet front carpet that freezes and turns the carpet into a skating rink when it’s real cold. We decided to fabricate an enclosure behind the seats and seal it off from the rest of the RV-hoping it will keep some of the moisture from the living space from condensing on all the metal under the dashboard and literally everywhere else.

We’re struggling with finding a nice way to create an OSB wall of sorts to attach behind the seats. Has anyone made anything similar? We want more than just a curtain.

Photos of the area and space we’re trying to work with! Just made the shelf for the top today. Thanks in advance!!

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Moisture running down EVERYWHERE!!
image.jpg

I've actually had to scrape ice off the inside of the windshield:mad: The temperature difference is what causes condensation. Like an ice cold glass on a hot day. I started using the factory cover that came with mine. It's about 2" thick and really keeps out the cold (or heat). You can buy an aftermarket insulated cover that fits outside over the windshield and door glass for most Class Cs. That helps to raise the temp in the cab area. It also lowers it in the summer helping the A/C work better. When it's really cold outside we use a 6" clip fan pointed at the cab area. The increased warm air flow helps to prevent condensation. I wonder if your plan to close off the cab might make it worse.

I made a longer curtain that replaces the original, short front privacy curtain during really cold weather. It snaps onto the curved place around the upper bunk, but is long enough that it hangs down behind the seats all the way to the floor. It also is wide enough that it wraps around the side area and snaps there. Basically, I did it to keep the drafts from the front from coming into the living area. It is not a heavy cloth, but it works.

However, I have never had that much condensation, so I think you really need a dehumidifier. It sounds like you are spending a lot of time in very cold conditions, so I am not sure that the outside cover or my long curtain will be enough, considering that a lot of cold air seems to come in through the engine area, at least in my rig.

Controlling humidity in an RV during cold weather is always a problem. The human body emits a lot of humidity/water during 24 hrs.
There is only one solution, reduce the humidity, that is normally accomplished by slightly opening a roof vent to allow humidity to escape.
Yes, I know, you are also allowing heat to escape, but it is what it is.
As onlyreif said, run a de-humidifier to capture humidity/water and run it into your gray tank; that's the only 2 ways to control humidity in your RV.

Quote:"

The Total Water Vapour Created by a Person​

If a person does the following over the course of a day:

• Drinks 8 Cups of coffee or tea
  • Boils one pan of water for 10 minutes
  • Takes a shower
  • Uses the dishwasher
  • Washes and dries 2KG of clothing
  • Breathes normally

They will Contribute around 2.5KG of water – the equivalent of 10 glasses of water – into the air. Without good ventilation in the home, this will settle on windows, walls, and other cool surfaces as condensation, and can quickly lead to damp and mould."
reference: How Much Condensation Does a Person Produce | EnviroVent

Building a wall doesn't seem like a very practical approach to me. It would need to be vapor tight in order to prevent the moisture from reaching the cab area and then the moisture will probably condense on your wall and destroy it. And what happens when you drive the RV?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom