Electrical Issue with Outlets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbstevens

We have a 2022 Rockwood 1940LTD popup. We bought a small 700 watt microwave oven and were using it and all of a sudden it stopped. Small electrical heater plugged in and on at the time. Microwave oven stopped and heater stopped. I checked the breaker panel under the seating area and the 30 amp breaker was still on and the 15 amp breaker was off. I turned it on and electrical outlets still won’t work. Not sure what to do? Any help would be appreciated!

Ok, I have turned the 15 amp breaker off and then back on. Then I hit the reset button on the GFI outlet to reset and seems like it reset but still no power. Also, can I get a 30amp to 15 amp adapter to plug into home and test out in the driveway? Thank you!

Did you unplug the heater and microwave first? Trying to run both is a GIANT no-no. The heater itself draws 15 amps, so you were already at the outlets max. A 900 watt microwave will draw around 10 amps. I assume your RV has a standard 30A power cord? So adding heater, microwave, maybe the water heater and converter to the mix places you well over the RVs max power input.
Get out your volt meter and start at the pedistal. Good chance you tripped the breaker at the panel. Make sure it's on and you have power. Move on to the converter, again make sure you have power.

Yes on the 30 amp to 15 amp adapter for at home testing. If you are plugged into shore power now then try resetting the breaker at the outside pedestal. If you are not plugged into shore power your 120 VAC outlets will never have power.

There is also the park's breaker. Do ANY outlets in the RV work?
Now a Microwave even a 700 Watt (Draws about 1000 watts) needs a 15 amp all to it's lonesome
So does a space heater (1500 watts is 12.5 amps give or take a bit)

Finally... MANY Rv's are wired with "Quick Box" or "Unibox" wiring (Different names for same device)
This type of box you will find two screws in the face plate. In opposite corners instead of the house standard (one screw in the center) makes 'em easy to ID without tools other than Mark 1 Eyeball.

In this type of outlet they pop the back off lay the wires in and "Punch down" into a metal "V" slot
Like telephone wiring panels in office buildings.

At less than 100 mA telephone current. works great
At double digit amps (100 times or more the current) not enough contact area causes over heating and melting.. and ... in a few cases... WORSE.

Harbor Freight

HAUL-MASTER 30 Amp Female To 15 Amp Male RV Pigtail Power Adapter

I have used one and they work just fine.

Charles

69283_W3.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dfish66
Back
Top Bottom