Electrical issues with the 2005 Aedventurer 38J

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Stephens

It seems my luck with this coach is taking one step forward and two back. A couple of steps forward have been getting RV Flex Armor installed on the roof along with three sheets of luan that had been ruined from weather, and finally getting the salvage title to the beast from my insurance company after repurchasing it from them subsequent to them totaling the coach. I have decided that as long as I don't have any delamination from water getting inside the roof, I'm going to live with the stains on the ceiling fabric the inside luan created. I'll try a 50/50 bleach and water mix to see how much I can get out and live with what I can't remove.

But I now have more problems. The house mechanic I used that stored the coach for me for seven months after backing out of installing a new roof did a few other things for me, and it now seems that everything he touched turned to garbage. Since the front hydraulic cylinder on the living room slide blew out last year while in Yellowstone, and knowing that when one of them goes bad, the rest are usually going to follow in short order, I had him rebuild all six cylinders for the two front slides. He had trouble getting them synced and had to call HWH for advice but told me when I picked the coach up from him that they all were now working well. He also installed a new motor for the steps, a new control board for the gas water heater, found what was wrong with my 12v outlet on the dash, and troubleshot a problem I had been having with the hitch plug. On our last trip, if I didn't disconnect the hitch plug before starting the car on our routine rest stops, I would get a back feed from the car into the coach, making all the lights inside and out come on, including all dashboard lights. He never was able to find the cause of the problem before I picked up the coach to get the new roof, but he said he noticed when looking at the hitch plug that some of the insulation around the wires had melted, making him think there may have been a short in the plug.

Okay, that is the setup. Now, I'll tell you the problems I currently have.

When I drove the coach from that shop to the RV Flex Armor dealer, I had a 25-mile trip. That gave me enough time to realize I had a serious issue with the turn signals. The first time I tried to use a turn signal, it stopped blinking when I put my foot on the brake pedal. My wife, following me, told me each time I used the turn signal, the emergency flashers would come on instead of just one signal or the other. And yes, they would stop blinking when I used the brake. Then, while going down an interstate highway with the cruise control set, I noticed that every time I used the turn signal to indicate a lane change, the cruise control would stop working. This gave me the thought that there was a crossed wire between the turn signals and the brake light because the cruise control was under the impression that I had hit the brakes and therefore, turned itself off until I reset it. Or, there might be something wrong with the emergency flasher since the cruise control will stop working if the flashers are turned on.

When I picked up the coach from the Flex Armor dealer, the first time my wife opened the door to the coach, the steps flopped out as though they had become disconnected. One of the mechanics at the shop climbed underneath and said the gear was completely turned backward from where it should be, as though it had not been synched when the new motor was installed. I know that wasn't the case because the steps worked fine for the first couple of times they were used. I'm wondering if something broke or came loose that allowed the gears to move out of position. The mechanic was kind enough to zip-tie the steps up so the coach could be driven. He also disconnected the motor so it wouldn't attempt to run when the door was opened. I know nothing about the steps and how they operate, so I'm at a loss to repair them myself. I expected from reading others' problems with step motors that wear out that my mechanic would have to buy a new motor and gearbox to make the repair. However, he said he found a motor replacement for that particular model number and thought the gearbox wouldn't have to be replaced. Now, I'm wondering.

From the Flex Armor dealer, I drove the coach to my chassis mechanic to have a little work done while it was in the same general area of town. They called me the other day to let me know they are waiting for a couple of parts to arrive, gave me the rundown on everything they checked including still having 50% of my front brake pads remaining with 64,000 miles after taking the Rockies three times, and then told me that I have a hydraulic fluid leak near one of the slide rams. Apparently, my house mechanic didn't complete the job on the cylinders. I'll take the coach back to him when he returns from his month long vacation and tell him to fix whatever is wrong with the hydraulics.

But it is difficult, as well as illegal, for me to drive the coach without turn signals, and I'm wondering if anyone on the forum has any solid ideas of what might have caused this problem. The coach guy checked the wiring from the hitch plug to the battery compartment and breakers and only found that melted insulation at the plug. His next step was going to be tearing into the dashboard to see if a relay had gone bad, but I stopped him because he was already racking up some serious labor charges and getting nowhere fast. Do you think it would be a good idea to replace that hitch plug? Or do you think this cross signal from the turn signal to the brake signal may be something else? The coach is only a block away from the local LaMesa RV, which is the only remaining Winnebago dealer in town, so I'm wondering if I should simply drive it there when I pick it up from my chassis mechanic and have them find the problem. I'll have them fix whatever is wrong with the steps at the same time unless I can be given instructions on how to repair them myself.

I'll appreciate any constructive feedback on either of these issues, particularly on the wiring and turn signal problem if anyone has had the same issues and can share what they did. I have to have this coach roadworthy before driving it to Palmetto, FL to the Dept. of Highway Safety for inspection so I can get my rebuilt title. That means having turn signals and brake lights that work. Now that I have the salvage title in my possession, I'm anxious to get this put to bed after a full year. If we can get everything working properly on the coach, we already have made reservations for a short trip to the Midwest and the Smoky Mountains in September. I know that when I turn in the paperwork for the rebuilt title, it will take at least 60 days before it is approved, an inspection is scheduled, and a new title issued. If it wasn't for the time frame involved, I would wait until my house mechanic gets back from his vacation and make him fix everything he didn't the first time. But I can't wait that long to start the title process.

It goes without saying that I'll be finding another house mechanic for things I can't fix myself.

It seems my luck with this coach is taking one step forward and two back. A couple of steps forward have been getting RV Flex Armor installed on the roof along with three sheets of luan that had been ruined from weather, and finally getting the salvage title to the beast from my insurance company after repurchasing it from them subsequent to them totaling the coach. I have decided that as long as I don't have any delamination from water getting inside the roof, I'm going to live with the stains on the ceiling fabric the inside luan created. I'll try a 50/50 bleach and water mix to see how much I can get out and live with what I can't remove.

But I now have more problems. The house mechanic I used that stored the coach for me for seven months after backing out of installing a new roof did a few other things for me, and it now seems that everything he touched turned to garbage. Since the front hydraulic cylinder on the living room slide blew out last year while in Yellowstone, and knowing that when one of them goes bad, the rest are usually going to follow in short order, I had him rebuild all six cylinders for the two front slides. He had trouble getting them synced and had to call HWH for advice but told me when I picked the coach up from him that they all were now working well. He also installed a new motor for the steps, a new control board for the gas water heater, found what was wrong with my 12v outlet on the dash, and troubleshot a problem I had been having with the hitch plug. On our last trip, if I didn't disconnect the hitch plug before starting the car on our routine rest stops, I would get a back feed from the car into the coach, making all the lights inside and out come on, including all dashboard lights. He never was able to find the cause of the problem before I picked up the coach to get the new roof, but he said he noticed when looking at the hitch plug that some of the insulation around the wires had melted, making him think there may have been a short in the plug.

Okay, that is the setup. Now, I'll tell you the problems I currently have.

When I drove the coach from that shop to the RV Flex Armor dealer, I had a 25-mile trip. That gave me enough time to realize I had a serious issue with the turn signals. The first time I tried to use a turn signal, it stopped blinking when I put my foot on the brake pedal. My wife, following me, told me each time I used the turn signal, the emergency flashers would come on instead of just one signal or the other. And yes, they would stop blinking when I used the brake. Then, while going down an interstate highway with the cruise control set, I noticed that every time I used the turn signal to indicate a lane change, the cruise control would stop working. This gave me the thought that there was a crossed wire between the turn signals and the brake light because the cruise control was under the impression that I had hit the brakes and therefore, turned itself off until I reset it. Or, there might be something wrong with the emergency flasher since the cruise control will stop working if the flashers are turned on.

When I picked up the coach from the Flex Armor dealer, the first time my wife opened the door to the coach, the steps flopped out as though they had become disconnected. One of the mechanics at the shop climbed underneath and said the gear was completely turned backward from where it should be, as though it had not been synched when the new motor was installed. I know that wasn't the case because the steps worked fine for the first couple of times they were used. I'm wondering if something broke or came loose that allowed the gears to move out of position. The mechanic was kind enough to zip-tie the steps up so the coach could be driven. He also disconnected the motor so it wouldn't attempt to run when the door was opened. I know nothing about the steps and how they operate, so I'm at a loss to repair them myself. I expected from reading others' problems with step motors that wear out that my mechanic would have to buy a new motor and gearbox to make the repair. However, he said he found a motor replacement for that particular model number and thought the gearbox wouldn't have to be replaced. Now, I'm wondering.

From the Flex Armor dealer, I drove the coach to my chassis mechanic to have a little work done while it was in the same general area of town. They called me the other day to let me know they are waiting for a couple of parts to arrive, gave me the rundown on everything they checked including still having 50% of my front brake pads remaining with 64,000 miles after taking the Rockies three times, and then told me that I have a hydraulic fluid leak near one of the slide rams. Apparently, my house mechanic didn't complete the job on the cylinders. I'll take the coach back to him when he returns from his month long vacation and tell him to fix whatever is wrong with the hydraulics.

But it is difficult, as well as illegal, for me to drive the coach without turn signals, and I'm wondering if anyone on the forum has any solid ideas of what might have caused this problem. The coach guy checked the wiring from the hitch plug to the battery compartment and breakers and only found that melted insulation at the plug. His next step was going to be tearing into the dashboard to see if a relay had gone bad, but I stopped him because he was already racking up some serious labor charges and getting nowhere fast. Do you think it would be a good idea to replace that hitch plug? Or do you think this cross signal from the turn signal to the brake signal may be something else? The coach is only a block away from the local LaMesa RV, which is the only remaining Winnebago dealer in town, so I'm wondering if I should simply drive it there when I pick it up from my chassis mechanic and have them find the problem. I'll have them fix whatever is wrong with the steps at the same time unless I can be given instructions on how to repair them myself.

I'll appreciate any constructive feedback on either of these issues, particularly on the wiring and turn signal problem if anyone has had the same issues and can share what they did. I have to have this coach roadworthy before driving it to Palmetto, FL to the Dept. of Highway Safety for inspection so I can get my rebuilt title. That means having turn signals and brake lights that work. Now that I have the salvage title in my possession, I'm anxious to get this put to bed after a full year. If we can get everything working properly on the coach, we already have made reservations for a short trip to the Midwest and the Smoky Mountains in September. I know that when I turn in the paperwork for the rebuilt title, it will take at least 60 days before it is approved, an inspection is scheduled, and a new title issued. If it wasn't for the time frame involved, I would wait until my house mechanic gets back from his vacation and make him fix everything he didn't the first time. But I can't wait that long to start the title process.

It goes without saying that I'll be finding another house mechanic for things I can't fix myself.
Wow that is a lot of problems! I have a 2005 Voyage 38J and have had a few problems, but nothing like that. Best of luck in getting things fixed.

You don't know what you don't know, and you don't know whether the trailer connector is a contributor. I would start with disconnecting it and seeing if that changes anything. I wouldn't be mucking around with "relays" or other OEM components yet, odds are the problem is external to the dash. Years ago when I troubleshot a similar problem it ended up being a dual filament bulb where one filament broke and fell onto the other one. Start with the easy stuff before you go tearing into the chassis.

Steps are fairly straightforward assemblies. If it's a kwikee step it uses an automotive electric window motor which is readily sourced. Other than mechanical, the control module has inputs from switched ignition and a door sensor to extend and retract. Start with the mechanical, and work through the issues as they're discovered.

Is the house equipment inspectable? If not I would put off as much as I could with the house and focus on the inspection items to get that behind you.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Just my two cents worth. I always look at the last thing done as a place to begin when problems arise. Hitch plug is prime suspect in the wiring issues, with melted insulation and "feedback" from the car when started. Seems like a pin wiring mismatch, meaning the 12V+ from the car is connected to either a brake signal or turn signal from the coach. When the car is started the alternator makes weird stuff happen to the RV lights. This might also be the cause of your RV light problems and cruise control problems.

Second suspect is the 12v outlet on the dash. I have no idea what was wrong with it or how it was "fixed". Might have been nothing more then a fuse replaced. We would need more info.

Wow that is a lot of problems! I have a 2005 Voyage 38J and have had a few problems, but nothing like that. Best of luck in getting things fixed.
PJ, if you have followed my posts on this forum for the past seven years, you will know what I described in this post is only the tip of the iceberg. Not counting the new roof covering, I've put over $40,000 into this coach since buying it seven years ago. I was hoping the wind damage to the roof last year was going to be a blessing in disguise when the insurance company agreed to total it because it couldn't be put back in satisfactory condition and made whole and paid me more than I paid for it seven years ago, and then let me repurchase it for only $10K. But I didn't expect to have all these issues with things that were supposed to be repaired by my house mechanic at a cost of $3,500. And he said he dropped to that price after knocking off more than $1,500 because he knew I wouldn't want to pay for all the time he spent trying to find that electrical problem and never did. Since I'm heading to the St. Louis area in September, if he can't get the hydraulic system to stop leaking, I'll drive up to HWH in Iowa and have them take care of it. For now, though, I need the electrical problems fixed and I really need those steps. I'm too old to be trying to climb into that coach.

You don't know what you don't know, and you don't know whether the trailer connector is a contributor. I would start with disconnecting it and seeing if that changes anything. I wouldn't be mucking around with "relays" or other OEM components yet, odds are the problem is external to the dash. Years ago when I troubleshot a similar problem it ended up being a dual filament bulb where one filament broke and fell onto the other one. Start with the easy stuff before you go tearing into the chassis.

Steps are fairly straightforward assemblies. If it's a kwikee step it uses an automotive electric window motor which is readily sourced. Other than mechanical, the control module has inputs from switched ignition and a door sensor to extend and retract. Start with the mechanical, and work through the issues as they're discovered.

Is the house equipment inspectable? If not I would put off as much as I could with the house and focus on the inspection items to get that behind you.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark, your advice is appreciated and makes sense. I was thinking of changing out that hitch plug anyway because I have two of them in the garage, so disconnecting the wiring from it may provide me the answer if I turn on the turn signal and it works. Your thoughts about a bad bulb also make sense and will be looked at next if the hitch plug isn't the problem. I see no reason to get into the dash other than the house mechanic said that was going to be his next step to see if possibly a relay had gone bad. I stopped him because another house mechanic a few years ago hit me for over $800 to troubleshoot what was wrong with all the electrical switches in my driver's door. Found out it was a $24 relay after spending five labor hours looking for it. I didn't want that happening again.

The mechanic at the Flex Armor dealer who zip-tied the steps for me said it appeared the gear assembly was very loose and he was afraid damage may have been done with the motor attempting to operate the steps after they had detached from the gear turning out of line. Even if they aren't damaged, I have no idea what position the gear is supposed to be in when properly turned. I'm afraid that is something I'm going to have to leave to a knowledgeable mechanic.

Now that the new roof covering is in place, I can get by with everything else in the house section of the coach as far as the state inspection is concerned. I spoke with the inspector over the phone and he told me I'm getting caught up in the new laws the State of Florida put in place a few years ago after the hurricanes caused a lot of water damage to flooded cars, and he seemed to understand the coach is still roadworthy and only was leaking due to losing part of the roof.

Just my two cents worth. I always look at the last thing done as a place to begin when problems arise. Hitch plug is prime suspect in the wiring issues, with melted insulation and "feedback" from the car when started. Seems like a pin wiring mismatch, meaning the 12V+ from the car is connected to either a brake signal or turn signal from the coach. When the car is started the alternator makes weird stuff happen to the RV lights. This might also be the cause of your RV light problems and cruise control problems.

Second suspect is the 12v outlet on the dash. I have no idea what was wrong with it or how it was "fixed". Might have been nothing more then a fuse replaced. We would need more info.
Bobtop, I don't think I have a pin mismatch because all worked very well for two years until the battery hot wire the hitch place ran from the breaker compartment near the batteries underneath the steps became disconnected from the hitch plug and my car battery died one trip. However, it makes sense to me to look at the hitch plug first because of my mechanic telling me he noticed melted insulation on the wiring. That tells me there was a short somewhere along the line, and that may be the cause of my turn signal problems now. The interesting thing to me is that they worked fine until the mechanic began troubleshooting the issue. He obviously did something to mess up the turn signals. Since he didn't tear into the dash or steering column, I have to assume the problem is behind that area and should be confined to the areas he was looking at.

The issue with the 12v outlet on the dash turned out to be a plug in the breaker box above the steps becoming half unplugged. So I know that isn't the issue.

Just my two cents worth. I always look at the last thing done as a place to begin when problems arise. ....
Good advice.
Print out your chassis wiring (from Winnebago) and try to get a copy of the Workhorse chassis wiring diagrams (assuming your chassis is Workhorse.) One of my prime suspects for bizarre electrical problems are bad grounds. All grounds should be closely examined - tug on the wire and make sure the bolt/screw/nut is tight with no corrosion present. A visual examination might NOT catch a wonky ground wire.

Good advice.
Print out your chassis wiring (from Winnebago) and try to get a copy of the Workhorse chassis wiring diagrams (assuming your chassis is Workhorse.) One of my prime suspects for bizarre electrical problems are bad grounds. All grounds should be closely examined - tug on the wire and make sure the bolt/screw/nut is tight with no corrosion present. A visual examination might NOT catch a wonky ground wire.
A bad ground was my first thought on the turn signal problem as well. My second thought was a bad taillight bulb. I've seen where one of the bulb filaments breaks at one end and falls across the other filament. This causes a cross connection between the brake/turn light and the taillights.

I had a weird problem on our Horizon involving turn signals, one turn signal was intermittent. Previously I always depended on the 4-way flashers for pre-trip light checks - however this is not a valid test. The 4-way flashers always worked. We had Freightliner look at the problem but the problem never presented itself.

We were finished with our routine service at Freightliner and headed out when I discovered the turn signal didn't work. So I parked and then back into the service bay. Long story short it was the multi-mode stalk (the stick with the turn signals, etc) causing the problem. Stalk replaced and problem fixed.

I had a weird problem on our Horizon involving turn signals, one turn signal was intermittent. Previously I always depended on the 4-way flashers for pre-trip light checks - however this is not a valid test. The 4-way flashers always worked. We had Freightliner look at the problem but the problem never presented itself.

We were finished with our routine service at Freightliner and headed out when I discovered the turn signal didn't work. So I parked and then back into the service bay. Long story short it was the multi-mode stalk (the stick with the turn signals, etc) causing the problem. Stalk replaced and problem fixed.
I had Winnebago replace that turn signal lever in 2019 when I lost my cruise control on a cross-country trip. They were kind enough to work me in the day we were there, even though they had a full schedule. I'm thinking my problem is going to be either the hitch plug shorting out with a crossed wire or faulty ground or as others have said, a tail light gone bad. I hope it's a fast troubleshoot and an easy fix.

Here's an update that will make you sick. LaMesa called today after having the coach for a week to tell me what they have found.

As I suspected, my electrical problem was the hitch plug having shorted out. They are replacing the plug with a new one I gave them that I was going to put on. I wish my labor was worth $200.hr. But that's the good news.

The problem with the steps is something I have never heard of before. They tell me the pivot pin has broken. I've never heard of that, although I know very little about the steps. The problem is that apparently, the pivot pin cannot be purchased. According to LaMesa, the only thing that can be done is to purchase an entirely new set of steps at a cost of over $1,900, plus two hours of labor.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening? The service advisor said he has seen these pins rust out before, but has never seen one break. He assumes it was caused from age. I've never talked to anyone who had to replace their entire step assembly for a broken pin.

I replaced a complete Kwikee double step unit with one from Colaw salvage in Joplin, MO. Was more along the lines of $350 plus shipping.

I get why a shop might not want to fabricate piece parts but that doesn't mean you can't. For two grand you can take the broken piece to a machine shop and have them make one from scratch, and have money left over. At a minimum I would remove the part and see if it could be repaired with readily available parts or material. There would be no way I would replace the entire step unit for one broken part. I would bet once you see the issue you'll have a few ideas what it would take to fix it.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

When we bought our Adventurer 34WQ many years ago the DPO (Dreaded Previous Owner) had a mishap while the steps were extended, thus rendering them useless and a hazard. They were removed before trading in.

We bought a new set of Kwikee steps from Amazon for about $495, if I recall. Took maybe an hour to install. It was a bit clumsy, but not one of the worst things I've worked on, a floor jack helped. Had to replace the door reed switch (included) as the old one was not compatible.

I would bet that pin is in reality a commonly available item. You could find one for just a few dollars and replace it yourself, if you are so inclined. You would have to take careful measurements, of course, but somebody has them for sale. I would start with McMaster-Carr, they seem to have everything.

Kevin

I did a little research and found Lippert's MSRP on the steps is $1,497 and they can be purchased from etrailer.com for $1,186. I called the service advisor and told him if he charged me more than MSRP, it would be viewed as price gouging and something the attorney general of Florida may take an interest in. He spoke to his parts manager who had placed the order, determined their cost, and marked it up, and the parts manager admitted that he had been quite aggressive with this markup. They agreed to sell the steps to me for less than MSRP, although they refused to drop their price to what etrailer.com is charging because they say their cost is higher than that.

If I knew how to R&R the steps, I would buy them from etrailer.com and do it myself. However, I know absolutely nothing about the steps or how they are attached and don't even know if they weigh too much for me to handle. The old steps had given us trouble for several years and we had been babying them along with a lot of lithium grease, so having to get new ones doesn't bother me that much as long as I'm paying a fair price.

But I'm going to ask LaMesa for the old steps. We just put a new motor in them that might be worth something to the mechanic who installed it, and he might be able to use the old steps for parts. If I can sell them to him, it will help with the cost of the new ones.

I totally get that I wouldn't expect them to meet internet pricing. When I've encountered customers that tell me they can get something cheaper on ebay or wherever, my response is always "so buy it there".

I'm not sure I would entrust or be willing to reward the outfit that was willing to hose me for half a kilobuck. Being a one for one replacement I would think it would be a straightforward job. My take on it would be to try taking the old one off and see how far you get. The worst that would happen is to follow through with shop replacement.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I too replaced with used different scrap yard.
I've never heard of a step pivot pin breaking.. But possible it is.. Some places I know might be able to make a new pin and put it in cheap but alas those are very very very rare and there are none I can recommend.. Most are like 70 or 80 year old men now days. (or older)

Ouch, what a story. LaMesa might 'lose' your old steps if they discover their analysis of the problem was wrong. You better hound dog them about returning your old steps.

I had mine out to replace the motor and it took about an hour. They were secured by four bolts and I'll bet most are the same. The switch was one wire as I recall, but it may have been two.

Ernie

Back
Top Bottom