Entering the RV World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I completely disagree with Kirk on the above, I strongly feel you should have your own independent inspector when buying a new motorhome given the all too common horror stories we see on these forums, ranging from disconnected plumbing drains, to incorrectly installed major components, and screws penetrating outward through the roof. Sure there is a 12 month warranty, but do you really want your brand new coach to spend 6-9 months of the first year in a dealers service yard waiting for warranty approval / parts? On top of that you have to also ask is the problem going to be fixed right, or will it be a bandaid fix that will last just long enough to get out of warranty coverage. For me any dealer that will not allow independent inspection, is a deal breaker and I would walk away not matter how good the price seems.

For me any dealer that will not allow independent inspection, is a deal breaker and I would walk away not matter how good the price seems.
Share with us how much you would budget for that inspection? The current market for pre-purchase inspections seems to range from about $200 to nearly $1000. A good inspection will require at least 3 or 4 hours at the RV and perhaps another hour to generate a complete report. It is always easy for us to spend someone else's money. Over the years I have bought 3 used and 4 new RVs and have not had any major issues.

Like Kirk, I would severely limit the amount I would spend on a new RV inspection. It has a warranty, so my risk is much lower than when buying a used RV, and the cost of a pro inspection is not chump change (I'd guess a minimum of $500 these days and probably more like $700+. However, I think a newbie to RVs would benefit substantially from having a more experienced person on hand when doing the delivery acceptance walk-thru. If you don't have an experienced friend to help out, consider spending $200 to have a mobile RV tech or inspector spend an hour with you for the walkthru. They can make sure the key components are demonstrated as working and will notice things that are maybe not as they should be.

By contrast I would have any such person go over it before you agree to buy it, as at that point you are on the hook, and they are just there to make a list of things to be fixed under warranty, it does nothing to help you actually get on the road soonest and use the RV, instead of having it sit in the dealers service lot for months awaiting warranty repairs.

it does nothing to help you actually get on the road soonest and use the RV, instead of having it sit in the dealers service lot for months awaiting warranty repairs.
I have owned several new purchase RVs and have not ever had that kind of experience. It would seem that Gary hasn't either?

I’d be wary of advice based on a sample of 2. If you’re diy challenged an NRVIA inspection, whether new or used might be a good idea and might save you money and a gigantic pita down the road.

I've only bought one new RV, a special order from the factory, but by then I was well-experienced. Good thing, because the coach had over 20 defects when it arrived on at the dealer, some of them major, like a broken cabinet, damaged paint and a grease-stained carpet. I think most any buyer would have seen them, but maybe would not have been as knowledgeable about getting repairs done. The salesman had certified the coach as "ready for delivery" before I got there, but this dealer assigns a "delivery manager" to do the walkthru with the buyer and handle the final turnover. He was as incredulous as I was at the condition the sales guy had approved, but he marshaled all the dealer's considerable resources to get it all back in shape in a couple of days. This large dealer had their own paint & body shop, cabinet shop, etc so could handle any needed repair. Might not have fared so well at Mom & Dad's RV Store.

I've not had the experience of a dealer trying to put something over on me or avoid repairs, but the sales people are motivated to get their commission and it isn't paid until the buyer actually takes delivery. Many of them will promise anything to get the sale completed. I've found that the service manager is the one to extract promises from, cause he is the one who has to deliver on those promises.

Last edited:
I've only bought one new RV, a special order from the factory, but by then I was well-experienced.
Of 7RVs owned over the past 40+ years, 4 were new and one of those a factory order with the others off of the dealership lot. The factory ordered one was back for warranty work twice, the first one 3 times, the last one once, and the other never.
I’d be wary of advice based on a sample of 2.
Share with us how much you would spend on this inspection? Also how many times you have spent your money for a certified pre-purchase inspection and on what?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom