First Chevy, but now Ford is giving money away!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If that is the nominal KWH, you probably have close to a 400-mile range on a full charge.

Most cars get around 3.5 miles per KWH in average use.

Around 7 miles per KWH on electric motorcycles.

Nominal KWH is what you can use. Max KWH includes the area of the battery that the BMS will not allow you to charge up to. Battery would not last long if you did charge up to the true max.

BTW, my Zero DSR/X motorcycle will let me charge to 110% SOC and will show it as 110% SOC on the screen. It will let me go to 110% (a little into the normally unusable area) if I press a button when I first charge. Will default back to 100% when I do not press the button. Charge is extremely slow up there, and should only be used right before a ride, so normally only used at home. But that will give me an extra ten miles of range. It's about 1% SOC per mile on that bike. So 110 miles instead of 100 of normal average riding (sometimes more, sometimes less range).

Not to be used often as it is tough on the battery. And should be ridden right away so it doesn't stay at 110% too long.

You can also figure out your charge times with simple math. I do not even look at range claims and charge time specs. I just look at nominal KWH capacity (knowing the max is good too as the more above nominal it is, the more years you will normally get out of the battery).

IOW, not counting heat losses and the slowdown above 80% SOC, it will take around 30 minutes to charge a 100 KWH nominal battery with a charge rate of 200 KW at around 70°F.

-Don- Reno, NV

If that is the nominal KWH, you probably have close to a 400-mile range on a full charge.

That's the gross rating. Nominal/usable is 102.5 I believe.

The advertised range is 324? miles but on our long trip we would have surpassed that had we continued to draw down the battery.

We were headed to see my father in law on that trip. He actually asked if we would have enough juice to be able to run things like the heater, headlights, and wipers. 🤣

The advertised range is 324? miles but on our long trip we would have surpassed that had we continued to draw down the battery.
102.5 KWH times 3.5 miles=358.75 miles of range of average driving in average conditions with the average weight and etc. But makes me wonder if you range is 342 instead of 324. But close enough either way. Never expect accuracy with range, way too many variables. BTW, your range display contains a reserve. AFAK, all EVs will let you drive a few miles below zero SOC with many warnings. Also, expect a full charge to show a little less range than spec because of this.

IAC, range displays of EVs are a lot more accurate than any gas gauge on an ICE vehicle. But I think they have improved this in ICE vehicles as my 2022 Class A shows a digital "range to empty" which at least seems accurate. But I have never had less than 150 miles range left in my Class A before filling up its 80-gallon gas tank. But I wonder if it is really that accurate and if so, how it works in an ICE vehicle.

Yeah, an A/C unit in an EV is around 2 KW. Other stuff a lot less. Normally will not notice any difference in range, but it will the same as having a 100.5 KWH battery instead of a 102.5 KWH battery. 100.5 times 3.5=351.75 miles of range instead of 358.75. Your range drops by seven miles if the A/C is left on continuously. And that's the worst case.

BTW, seat heaters draw around ten amps each at the 13 volts they run from. 130 watts. Electric EV heaters draw around the same as does A/C draw. So you can save a little of that 7-mile range by using the seat heaters instead when cold. Of course, it is unlikely we will ever need to squeeze out that extra little range by using any of this stuff. However, when the battery itself is cold, the range will reduce a good 10%, which is a larger difference than running the heater.

-Don- Reno, NV

102.5 KWH times 3.5 miles=358.75 miles of range of average driving in average conditions with the average weight and etc. But makes me wonder if you range is 342 instead of 324. But close enough either way. Never expect accuracy with range, way too many variables. BTW, your range display contains a reserve. AFAK, all EVs will let you drive a few miles below zero SOC with many warnings. Also, expect a full charge to show a little less range than spec because of this.

IAC, range displays of EVs are a lot more accurate than any gas gauge on an ICE vehicle. But I think they have improved this in ICE vehicles as my 2022 Class A shows a digital "range to empty" which at least seems accurate. But I have never had less than 150 miles range left in my Class A before filling up its 80-gallon gas tank. But I wonder if it is really that accurate and if so, how it works in an ICE vehicle.

Yeah, an A/C unit in an EV is around 2 KW. Other stuff a lot less. Normally will not notice any difference in range, but it will the same as having a 100.5 KWH battery instead of a 102.5 KWH battery. 100.5 times 3.5=351.75 miles of range instead of 358.75. Your range drops by seven miles if the A/C is left on continuously. And that's the worst case.

BTW, seat heaters draw around ten amps each at the 13 volts they run from. 130 watts. Electric EV heaters draw around the same as does A/C draw. So you can save a little of that 7-mile range by using the seat heaters instead when cold. Of course, it is unlikely we will ever need to squeeze out that extra little range by using any of this stuff. However, when the battery itself is cold, the range will reduce a good 10%, which is a larger difference than running the heater.

-Don- Reno, NV

324 is the advertised EPA estimate for the car. It’s conservative.

We do use the heated seats and steering wheel a lot. It has a heated center console lid and upper and lower heated door armrests as well. Much more efficient than trying to blow warm air around to heat the body’s core—and feels sooo good on a tired back. But we could use the HVAC to cook (or freeze) us out. The heat pump it has packs some wallop.

The heat pump it has packs some wallop.
And it's sometimes nice to be able to use it even when the motor is off. And can leave it on when the car is locked up on extremely hot or cold days. Such as when leaving the car for a half hour when it is more than 100°F outside. When you get back, get into a very cool car.

BTW, does yours have voice commands as does Teslas? I can just give a voice command to leave the A/C or whatever on after I stop and park and lock up the car. IIRC, if it's accidently left on for days, at 20% SOC it turns off to still give enough range to get to a recharge location.

-Don- Reno, NV

And it's sometimes nice to be able to use it even when the motor is off. And can leave it on when the car is locked up on extremely hot or cold days. Such as when leaving the car for a half hour when it is more than 100°F outside. When you get back, get into a very cool car.

BTW, does yours have voice commands as does Teslas? I can just give a voice command to leave the A/C or whatever on after I stop and park and lock up the car. IIRC, if it's accidently left on for days, at 20% SOC it turns off to still give enough range to get to a recharge location.

-Don- Reno, NV

Yes, it also does voice commands, although we've disabled that feature. Interior temperature settings and accessories can be controlled through the app, or set for a scheduled departure including conditioning the batteries for use in cold.

We used that feature in Idaho. We were outside of normal vehicle key fob remote start range, and, who wants to waste gas? Through the app we told it we were going to leave in 20 minutes and make sure the car is defrosted and warm before we leave. Sure enough, it was warm and ready to go!

accessories can be controlled through the app,
Yep, but I almost never have my cell phone on. I rarely use it for anything. I carry around a dozen RFID cards for different charge stations in my electric motorcycles. I find I almost never have the need to charge my EV cars on the road.

But I recall using the app one time when it was snowing, and I left the Tesla out overnight at my old Cold Springs Valley house (the two-car garage was then full of motorcycles). In the morning, I used the app to turn on the defroster and warm up the car. I was surprised how quicky that worked. I walk out to the car a few minutes later and it was all defrosted and warm and ready to be driven back here as soon as I got in it.

-Don- Reno, NV

Well, the thread did go sideways from a "free money" conversation to another about EVs.

There is a similar thread running that has a very similar discussion going on. In that thread, I mentioned my SIL's brother working for GM on the Bolt program, and how when my SIL asked for his help shopping for an EV he recommended the Ionig 6 to her, which is what she bought. Think he knew something?

Well, the thread did go sideways from a "free money" conversation to another about EVs.

There is a similar thread running that has a very similar discussion going on. In that thread, I mentioned my SIL's brother working for GM on the Bolt program, and how when my SIL asked for his help shopping for an EV he recommended the Ionig 6 to her, which is what she bought. Think he knew something?
But I received most of that "free money" from my Chevy Bolt. But perhaps I should have put this in the Shade Tree section instead of here.

I don't know anything about the Hyundai Ioniq 6 but I can tell you I just love my Chevy Bolt as is. For most of my drives, I like it better than my Tesla. But they really do not compare well. But these two are the only two EVs I am familiar with other than E-motorcycles.

But IMO, when it comes to EVs, different people are going to want (or maybe even need) different features. Such as here in Reno, I need AWD because of the snow common on the roads here this time of year. I don't need that in the Auburn, CA area. Only my Tesla has the dual motors, so I leave the Tesla here for this time of year.

I would say the Bolt is more fun to drive but the Tesla is a lot more practical for anything serious. I cannot speak for any other EVs.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:

Well, the OP steered his own thread into the discussion about EV's, and it's been overwhelmingly positive. The original topic concerned an EV, too. Not another thread full of people throwing food at EV's. For those two reasons, this thread is different.

The Ionic is advanced over the Bolt in many ways, but the Bolt has also been on the market for a long time as far as EV's are concerned. They represent a great value and are a good car, resolved battery issues notwithstanding.

The Ionic is advanced over the Bolt in many ways, but the Bolt has also been on the market for a long time as far as EV's are concerned. They represent a great value and are a good car, resolved battery issues notwithstanding.
I kinda assume any EV I try it will be, wow, this feature is really nice , but I wish it had (whatever) my Telsa (or Bolt) has also. I say this because the Bolt and Tesla is so extremely different in so many ways, I cannot even decide which I like best. It mainly depends on where I am trying to go.

I find the Tesla is better to have here in the winter (because of the dual motor AWD) and the Bolt is better here for the summer. So I switch them in the springtime. I really like the Bolt for the hills where I can adjust the regen as I drive, unlike in the Tesla. Here it is very hilly, and I live on the very top of a 5K foot hill here in Reno.

BTW, Tesla adds no regen to the brake pedal. Just has a lot of deceleration regen. The Bolt has progressive regen on the brake pedal as well as a lever on the steering wheel to adjust the deceleration regen as I drive. If the brake pads were removed in my Bolt, I most likely would never even notice any difference. I find it fun to drive and I really miss that regen lever when I use my Tesla.

-Don- Reno, NV

I love my new (to me) Ioniq 5. It is, by far, the nicest car I have ever owned (or even driven). But, to be fair, I could have bought two new Bolts* for what I paid for my used Ioniq 5.

Wait ...

Why didn't I buy a pair of Bolts? 😀

*Assuming that I could claim the full tax credit on both which I doubt. But, the point stands that the Bolt costs a lot less.

Last edited:
Don't forget to get your money from verizon:

(NEXSTAR) – Verizon customers have started to receive notifications they are eligible to receive a payment of up to $100 following a $100 million class action settlement with the wireless company.

The lawsuit alleged Verizon customers were unfairly hit with an administrative charge as part of a “deceptive scheme.” Verizon had denied any wrongdoing, but has agreed to pay affected users up to $100 each.

I applied for mine via a Visa gift card.
The Chevy $1400.00 Gift Card Visa can only be used online. I made it my default card for Amazon, and I now only have $342.21 left on it. Blew more than a thousand bucks on Amazon since I received it online on XMAS day.

After I blow the rest, back to my Amazon Prime Visa card.

-Don- Reno, NV

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom