Fishtail, close call

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lost a lot of money in wood. And now with video they’ll find and ticket the he!! Out of him too. Lol

Bad loading and inexperienced tow driver notwithstanding, the driver taking the dashcam vid says she almost head-on'ed the truck? Well yeah! I see NO evasive maneuvers on her part. As soon as the truck started to fishtail I'd be braking looking for a way out or away from the action. She just continues and then brakes to a stop in her lane. And what about the vehicles behind her? Dramatic video to be sure, but I'd suggest she take a defensive driving course.

Target fixation - a normal human response to focus on a threat. Many times in a video you can see someone wreck when the driver had ample opportunity to evade. Takes training.

I used to ride a motorcycle. When taking the MSF Riders Course the first few lessons were about always having an 'out' and riding '50-100 yards ahead' meaning keep your head up and scan down your path of travel. I incorporated another one of my own - always ride like everyone might to kill you. Because they could.

I used to ride a motorcycle. When taking the MSF Riders Course the first few lessons were about always having an 'out' and riding '50-100 yards ahead' meaning keep your head up and scan down your path of travel. I incorporated another one of my own - always ride like everyone might to kill you. Because they could.
my training came from motorcycle track days. I clearly remember a video where a rider went down in a curve and slid to the right. the following rider with the camera followed the downed bike to the right and ran right into it. target fixation.

Target fixation - a normal human response to focus on a threat. Many times in a video you can see someone wreck when the driver had ample opportunity to evade. Takes training.
In 2018 our daughter Danielle (24 at the time) was living in Lima, OH. She bought a car from a dealership "back home". Kim and I along with our other daughter and her boyfriend drove out to deliver it to her and bring her old car home. Once we got there, the five of us drove down to the Newport Aquarium just over the river from Cincinnati in Kentucky. Danielle was driving her new car for the first time. On the way, we were in the left lane - I75 with 4 lanes of traffic. A Ford Explorer in the right lane just ahead of us blew a tire, spun out, and skidded left across the highway. I just said "brake, brake, brake, stay in your lane, stay in your lane". She managed to calmly follow my directions until the last minute when the Explorer hit the concrete median and started to come back into our lane - she only had to swerve slightly to miss it. Luckily there was nobody right next to us! We still had about 45 minutes on the road. We got to the aquarium, she parked, and handed the keys to me, LOL.

IIRC, the speed limit on I-15 through the Ogden, UT, area is 70. Drivers routinely run 80, and I’ve seen them going 90 and above. I’m thinking that pickup driver was running at close to 80. I haven’t timed the event, on the video, but, IMHO, bad things happen very quickly at interstate speeds. The lady with the dash cam likely didn’t see what the dash cam recorded a couple of lanes to her right. It’ll take a few seconds to recognize the threat and a few more to process it. And a few more to react. This could’ve ended in a mass pile up disaster.
Right, badly loaded trailer. All of us know better. Pass it along to the newbies. Live and learn.

I used to ride a Harley. 19 years ago, this July, a woman in a jacked up older model Suburban was stopped at a stop sign. Wheels stopped, I always looked. It took her 2 (two), seconds to hit me from a dead stop. I timed it 3 months later when I got home from physical rehab and could drive my truck again. The police paint was still on the street. I’m only alive because I was wearing a helmet. Second impact was my head on her hood. Still have the helmet, it’s cracked. I’ve got lotsa surgical stainless in my lower right side. Drive defensively and hope for the best. No more bikes for me.

Improperly loaded trailer, on tires rated for 65mph max. sustained speed. I wonder if a tire failure was the cause? Then the light hitch weight did the rest.
From what I've read on RVing forums, knowing how to stop trailer fishtailing is a lost technique today.
Improper weight distribution is the leading cause of trailer sway. When sway begins without reducing speed, use the manual lever gently on the brake controller to pull your rig back in line and stop sway.

I used to ride a Harley. 19 years ago, this July, a woman in a jacked up older model Suburban was stopped at a stop sign. Wheels stopped, I always looked. It took her 2 (two), seconds to hit me from a dead stop. I timed it 3 months later when I got home from physical rehab and could drive my truck again. The police paint was still on the street. I’m only alive because I was wearing a helmet. Second impact was my head on her hood. Still have the helmet, it’s cracked. I’ve got lotsa surgical stainless in my lower right side. Drive defensively and hope for the best. No more bikes for me.
I went down on a curve on wet asphalt at high speed on my time trial bike 8 or 10 years ago. The back of my head slammed onto the road with tremendous impact. Were it not for the helmet I’d have suffered a minimum of a severe concussion, more likely worse.

I went down on a curve on wet asphalt at high speed on my time trial bike 8 or 10 years ago. The back of my head slammed onto the road with tremendous impact. Were it not for the helmet I’d have suffered a minimum of a severe concussion, more likely worse.
Everyone that has ridden a bike for any length of time has either a helmet with a crushed star in it or a headstone. I finally threw my busted helmet in the trash.

Regarding Motorcycles and helmets.. Some years ago Michigan had a helmet law and there was a protest scheduled to start at a park in Detroit.. One rider on his way lost control and went down the road on his skid lid.. Troopers responded and helped him upright his bike and on to the protest rally (Which by the way was peaceful) he went.

Now.. Had he not been wearing his helmet he'd still have gotten to the rally. The park is actually the roof of the Underground county morgue.

In Texas you have the freedom to be both a moron and ride a motorcycle with no helmet, it occurs simultaneously.

While I don't know what motorcyclists and helmets have to do with the subject, I have never understood why it's OK to require seatbelts in a steel automobile that has airbags but it's not OK to require a helmet to ride a motorcycle? A nephew of mine died of head injuries when he hit a truck that pulled out in front of him. He was then responsible for 5 successful organ transplants. (both kidneys, both lungs, and a heart)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom