Ford puck system and BW companion issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arl242

I purchased my F250 (6 3/4 bed) brand new in 2019 with the factory installed puck system. In 2020, we purchased a new 5th wheel camper, Keystone Hideout 36'. I opted for the Anderson hitch at the time. Well, my Anderson hitch has caused me to replace my landing gear 2x due to the way Ford's suspension are (they have a lot of up and down based on weight and extending the landing gear put too much stress on my landing gear, shredding the gears). So I researched the next best option and talked to people. I was convinced the B&W Companion slider for the Ford puck system was what I needed. Bought one a couple of months ago, just got around to installing it today. Here is where my issue begins. When I back the truck to hook up the camper with this hitch, my tailgate is literally against the coach of the camper. Obviously, I cannot tow the camper like this. My pin box is Lippert Rota-Flex by Trailar. Does anyone have any idea what is going on or what I need to do to be able to tow with a fifth wheel hitch?

I'm glad to see you resolved the issue, simple once you stood back and realized what had happened.

I am curious what the combination of the Andersen Hitch and the Ford's suspension do that overloads the landing gear mechanism?

Can you clarify your explanation?

Charles

On the Anderson hitch, I had to have the ball as high as it would go due to clearance issues coming out of our driveway. When the camper would be raised up, it put a lot of pressure on the landing gear as the front of the camper was very high pitched. Over time, the gears would become worn. The camper came off the assembly line with an electric motor setup. I looked into hydraulics after replacing the landing gear a 2nd time, but it is cost prohibitive. One of the service people I spoke to about this issue said he has heard of the same issue on Anderson hitches and longer (ours is 36') campers.

Maybe I'm not understanding this. But if I am, couldn't you just place large blocks under the landing gear before raising? Or am I completely missing this scenario?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom