From Casper to Yellowstone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bugford

Anyone familiar with the route along 26 to Shoshoni and then 20 to Greybull? Looking to avoid the crazy grades of going the Bighorn Mountains route.

Yes, lived in Cody for 30 years... no mountain passes on that route and a beautiful drive.. Wyoming road conditions has some cameras of their highways, great source to see now conditiins...

We had family in Sheridan, Wyoming. Driven the route OP gave many times from Greybull to Shoshoni, and to Casper on different trips. It's not an issue with passes.

Through the Bighorn Mountains is much more challenging.

BTW, Yellowstone National Park was 27F this morning. Not specific to its location.

Our mornings living in the Rockies are some 40F to 45F lower than in the afternoons. Quite common for the Fall to have large diurnal temperature swings. Our travel trailers are winterized.

My suggestion would be to take 20 to Thermopolis then 120 to Cody, we used this route about 5 years ago, and it was overall a good route, 120 was a good road, just very empty with almost no signs of habitation along the way, no houses, no power lines, etc. for most of the route, just the occasional small driveway disappearing into the distance. This route will be over an hour shorter drive time than than the Greybull route.

My suggestion would be to take 20 to Thermopolis then 120 to Cody, we used this route about 5 years ago, and it was overall a good route, 120 was a good road,

This is the route that Jackiemac suggested some time back when I asked about routes in this area that avoided steep grades. She noted that there was a museum in Meeteetse , on 120 where it crosses the Graybull River, that was worth stopping for.

Charles

There's another stop on that route (a slightly different route) called the Gooseberry Badlands. We spent an hour exploring them.

Looks like WY431 from US20 to WY120 is about 30 miles. Or going up 120, the badlands is about 7 miles out of the way, and 7 back. Does look interesting.

I am quickly learning that there are areas called badlands in a number of places.

I will have to remember that route when in the area.

Charles

We even have badlands in my region of the rural west, but since it's a wilderness study area not many people visit it. Best to remain unknown.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rdhaef
Back
Top Bottom