Weary of OTT hype stories about the Eclipse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here are some shots from my front yard with my Nikon 7100 and a variable neutral density filter - our maximum here was 65% obscuration, but the "bites" the moon took are obvious. The Last shot was taken by my son in the Dallas area with his cell phone, but the rest are mine -- note internal camera reflection on a couple- haziness was cloud effect.

Attachments

• DSC_3497.JPG
    DSC_3497.JPG
    10.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_3500.JPG
    DSC_3500.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_3509.JPG
    DSC_3509.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_3513.JPG
    DSC_3513.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Dans Pic Total_Eclipse.jpg
    Dans Pic Total_Eclipse.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 1
The media hype was, in my opinion, getting to the point of being annoying. At my place in nj we got to see about 60% before the clouds rolled in. After that a couple more peeks and that was it. Definitely worth watching in bits and pieces... It was moving so slow, that it was sorta like watching grass grow. :p

Watched the coverage on the NASA web site, and in an interesting twist they showed a view of the moon's shadow moving across the earth surface (at 1000 miles per hour) from the space station. It was quite interesting, but having viewed the eclipse in 2017, I knew what to expect and wasn't going to travel hundreds of miles to the total eclipse.;)

Safe travels and all the best.

I finally finished a video of the partial eclipse we got here (65% obscuration). I took short clips of video every few minutes, and compiled some of them into a sequence that shows the movement of the sun (in the viewfinder) and the progression of the "bites" the moon takes from the sun. The 3:40 video is:
Very well done Larry. That is a great looking photo rig you got there.

Had totality here for 3 plus minutes, minimal high clouds so viewing was good. Pretty amazing. What struck me was the power of the sun. Even when there was just a small sliver of sun left, you could see just fine although the light was strange. When totality hit it was like a light switch, total darkness. Off came the glasses and temps dropped. Just fun ,way cool and a spectacular sight. Sharing that with total strangers was special.
I live in a small Adirondack town and there were so many people here, couldn't understand where they were all staying. The vibe was good, all were happy, walking,hiking and biking in the a.m., chairs on the blocked off main street in the afternoon. Reports were that their rides home took forever, but all were patient, all happy they saw something so rare on an equally rare 60 degrees day here in early April. Not many were sorry they came to see it, even with a 9 hour ride home that was 3-4 hours coming up.

Even when there was just a small sliver of sun left, you could see just fine although the light was strange. When totality hit it was like a light switch, total darkness. Off came the glasses and temps dropped.
There 'ya go. IMO anything short of that kind of totality might have been interesting, but hardly awe inspiring. Totality? That's something else.

Within the path of totality, at least here in Indiana, businesses, schools, etc, closed at noon, some closed all day Monday.
This was the longest total eclipse in the U.S.A. since 1806, the next one will occur in over 360 years. It truly was a once in a lifetime event for anyone living Monday. I took this with my 35 yr old Sony Handicam on a tripod. This was using a small zoom amount, the camera has a 2000X zoom ability.

Attachments

• DSC00024.JPG
    DSC00024.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 5
Once in a lifetime celestial events tend to make people get excited.
Absolutely, it’s nice once in awhile to have a collective experience that doesn’t involve a ball, a finish line, tribal politics, religion, race, ethnicity, hate, or opinions, just experience it for what it is.
Who with access to a television wasn’t watching the moon landing in 1969, or wasn’t celebrating the wall coming down in 1989 and didn’t feel good about it?

“Happiness occurs when the mind stops”

Took these from my backyard observatory South of Cleveland, OH. We had high clouds that partially blocked the corona but I was grateful for what we got. I was in Kentucky for the 2017 eclipse and the view was a little better, but that solar prominence at the bottom was surprisingly bright when looking at the eclipse visually. Total2024_LIGHT_Tv1500s_100iso_+29c_20240408-15h14m41s174ms.jpgTotal2024_LIGHT_Tv130s_100iso_+29c_20240408-15h14m58s862ms.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sue2La
Back
Top Bottom