Harvest Hosts / Boondockers Welcome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Probe1957

I understand Harvest Hosts and Boondockers Welcome are now one and the same but what I can't figure out is do I have to join both separately? It certainly seems like I do but that seems weird.

It's an either or situation but if you join one you will be nagged incessantly to join the other.

If you decide to join one or both, look for a discount offer. Lots of organizations offer them as a perk. We belong to Boondockers Welcome only and have since before the (poorly executed) “merger.”

Reactions: SMR
As a BW host of many years I was wondering too, but it seems that the HH people think that they can collect more members and money this way.

Check their location maps in case your area of travel isn't well covered. I think you can do this without having to join.

If you can, and I had tried before, I could not see. I was told to join and if it didn't fit I could quit like some time period.
For me, I don't think HH would be a good fit, but unless I could see what was available, how would I know?

Check their location maps in case your area of travel isn't well covered. I think you can do this without having to join.
You can't do much with HH without an account. That's the main reason I refuse to add them ($$$) to my Boondockers account. There, before paying to join, you can see location & details before joining.

You can't do much with HH without an account. That's the main reason I refuse to add them ($$$) to my Boondockers account. There, before paying to join, you can see location & details before joining.
You used to be able to see places on a map. We joined and could only stay in one place on our route, and it was a museum that I suspect would have let us camp there for free anyhow. Maybe that's why you can't see maps now.

We started with BW and later added HH. What we’re seeing a lot more of all the time is hosts are in both programs. If that trend continues, joining only one may become the way to go.
I guess I haven’t seen that, but, then again, we only belong to BW. I just always liked the idea of RVers helping other RVers. If HH is combining them, we may just drop BW. Calling Matt_C who is a BW host IIRC for more info.

I've asked MattC to join us for next Wednesday Night's "Live" RV Forum's Virtual Fireside Chat (that's a mouthful) to discuss all of this. It will be posted under the "Shade Tree" portion of the RV Forum. I'm waiting for him to confirm his participation. Matt is a Boondocker's Welcome host and he can hopefully research and add information to what going on with HH.

Chat is here: Chat

Chat Times:
7 pm Eastern Time
6 pm Central Time
5 pm Mountain Time
4 pm Pacific Time

Last edited:
I've asked MattC to join us for next Wednesday Night's "Live" RV Forum's Virtual Fireside Chat (that's a mouthful) to discuss all of this. It will be posted under the "Shade Tree" portion of the RV Forum. I'm waiting for him to confirm his participation. Matt is a Boondocker's Welcome host and he can hopefully research and add information to what going on with HH.

Chat is here: Chat

Chat Times:
7 pm Eastern Time
6 pm Central Time
5 pm Mountain Time
4 pm Pacific Time
Cool!

Near as I can tell, you have to join them separately and that is what I have done. IMHO, this is something HH needs to change.

Cool!

Near as I can tell, you have to join them separately and that is what I have done. IMHO, this is something HH needs to change.
Requiring a single membership would undoubtably make the membership more expensive. After all, why would the company do that to lose money? And since there are people like me who don’t want the HH side of things, if they went to a single membership for more than I pay now for my BW membership, I would just drop it completely.

We enjoy HH stops and recently added BW. Now they've started a discount camping program for regular campgrounds. I thought this would be like Passport America.

I chose a listing and found that the regular nightly rate is $40.00. The discount rate is still $40.00 but they give you 2 homemade popsicles. What a farce.

Everyone's camping lifestyle and experiences returns a different attitude towards HH in particular. Many HH locations are off the beaten path, which we would use most of the time. So regular campgrounds were not always around the area. But we like to buy new wines and spirits for gifts that is not normally available in the home base for folks that we know consume alcohol. We like many bottle labels too that's not sold at local stores. I know that sounds funky.

We don't whine about the cost of doing business, so to speak. for traveling America. If I owned a quarter of a million dollar rig or a hundred grand one, the costs for both is like a penny on the ground. Some people pick it up and some folks walk right by it . Its just another avenue away from the crowds and enjoy the experiences of the farms provided by HH. We have never used BW and probably will never purchase their membership.,

Last edited:
We enjoy HH stops and recently added BW. Now they've started a discount camping program for regular campgrounds. I thought this would be like Passport America.

I chose a listing and found that the regular nightly rate is $40.00. The discount rate is still $40.00 but they give you 2 homemade popsicles. What a farce.
Hello Tom and Teresa. I (We) hope you'll join at Wednesday Night Virtual "Live" Fireside Chat on May 3. We would appreciate your input. Here's the Fireside Chat and the Link.
Link to the Chat is here: Chat
Chat Times:
7 pm Eastern Time
6 pm Central Time
5 pm Mountain Time
4 pm Pacific Time.

Back
Top Bottom