Harvest Hosts / Boondockers Welcome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wilhelm369

We've just bought a 22' hybrid, haven't had it on the road yet. Because of this, on faccebook I got an ad for boondockers welcome, gotta love the big brother feel of the internet. I like the idea of staying somewhere other than a large campground, at least if I'm looking for a stopoff point on a longer trip. Two questions for those who have used this: If you're travelling to several areas and have filled your plack/grey tanks, how do you dump, are there public places to do so? Second, the ad says that about 70% of hosts offer hookups, which I assume mean elec/water? Do you find this to be so?
Ok, three questions. Are most of them just out behind someones barn, or next to the 40 yr old trailer they live in, among the cars up on blocks, you know what I mean? Or places you can enjoy, maybe a fire pit and and some trees for privacy?

We often use Boondockers Welcome, have met some really nice hosts that also travel. We are friends with several of them.
I don't like the way Harvest Hosts redid the searches, but I can easily work through them and find places to stay.
I have no experience with Harvest Hosts.
We only Belong to Boondockers Welcome.

The ability to find public dump stations vary by region, there are sites like sani dumps that try to list them, but the information is not always up to date see Sanidumps: RV Dumps, Sani Station, Dump Points comprehensive directory the user interface is a bit primitive, but overall there is good information here.

p.s. I used to be a Boondockers Welcome host at our old house until 2020, where I offered a dry camping spot, along with limited power at the end of a 100+ ft extension cord, enough to run lights and fans, but not air conditioner. I also stayed at a few Boondockers welcome hosts between 2017-2020 and they were much the same in their setup.

We use Harvest Host as part of a larger strategy. We shoot for a boondock 1 out of 3 nights. Sometimes it's a HH site though not technically boondocking as you are assumed to buy a product and/or service. If you like beer/wine, things start looking more promising.
By alternating boondock nights with campground nights, dump stations become a non-issue. Most decent size units can go a couple days at least without dumping.

We have stayed at some really good places. One was in a nice subdivision and we hung out on the grass waiting with the host and thier kids for the ice cream truck.
Spent several nights at one about 100 yards from the house, very private spot. We enjoyed camp fires and cards with the hosts.
One in Florida was scary, but out of dozens that was the only one.
Some we go back to just to visit our friends.
All in all we have had great experiences and some good food. LOL

We have been BW hosts for a long time. Pre-Covid we would get 30~40 a year, that is down a little now. We still get to host a number of interesting people every year. As big as our lot is, we don't have enough parking lot for coaches bigger than 32 or TTs over about 24 because they are hard to turn around in the barn's lot and the drive in is long and not straight. Matt_C

Reactions: SMR
I've found that quite a few hosts do offer hookups of some kind for a small donation.

The few times I've used Boondockers Welcome it worked out well and the best thing was getting to know the hosts and sharing stories, etc.

I think you'll enjoy it and it's very handy for overnight stays when traveling in between campgrounds, etc.

Ray

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom