Heat build up in wire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do not puncture a wires protective coating without sealing the hole moisture-proof afterwards, otherwise moisture enters, corrodes the copper, creating even more resistance.
I had an aux circuit in my Motor home fail. The circuit was a 40 amp blade fuse at the battery and 10GA wire to a distribution panel next to the Driver's seat. I plugged in multiple radios. fans and other stuff into that panel using anderson power poles.. Now that I'm no longer in the RV the panel is here in the apartment.. not as many radios. (just two)plugged in.

One day it failed. the radios would not.. voltage measurements showed no voltage at the strip unplgging the feed from it I had about battery voltage -1.5 volts (Strange) no load.. Well I followed the wire. about a foot from the battery end was a bulge.. Sliced into it. total corrosion. Yup the wire had a tumor.. I excised the tumor (Cut it out and spliced) soldered the splice. sealed it with a high grade sealant low-grade adhesive I buy a lot of. and .. it out lasted the motor home.

I do not know how moisture got to that point and messsed up the wire. but it did.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sue2La
Back
Top Bottom