Help With Figuring Out Which Trucks Will Work For A Camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rv...ru?

I'm trying to figure how what kind of truck I need for a camper, and after doing some research I'm still a bit confused.

The lightest campers I've found in my general area/budget are in the range of 1,700 - 1,900 lb. From my understanding, this would be too heavy for a half-ton truck in most cases (in addition to the dry weight of the camper, I've estimated that I'll need another 800 lb for passengers, max fresh/grey/black water, max groceries, and misc. items, plus I added a 10% buffer... this comes out to a total payload of about 2,900 lb).

So it looks like this might work for some three-quarter ton trucks, but more likely I'll need a full-ton truck? I know it will depend on the particular year/make/model/trim, but I was hoping to avoid full-ton trucks due to the cost. Am I making any mistakes in my approach here? And are most trucks fine for
campers as-is as long as the payload capacity fits, or is it also recommended to upgrade stuff like the suspension/tires/etc. regardless?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm trying to figure how what kind of truck I need for a camper, and after doing some research I'm still a bit confused.

The lightest campers I've found in my general area/budget are in the range of 1,700 - 1,900 lb. From my understanding, this would be too heavy for a half-ton truck in most cases (in addition to the dry weight of the camper, I've estimated that I'll need another 800 lb for passengers, max fresh/grey/black water, max groceries, and misc. items, plus I added a 10% buffer... this comes out to a total payload of about 2,900 lb).

So it looks like this might work for some three-quarter ton trucks, but more likely I'll need a full-ton truck? I know it will depend on the particular year/make/model/trim, but I was hoping to avoid full-ton trucks due to the cost. Am I making any mistakes in my approach here? And are most trucks fine for
campers as-is as long as the payload capacity fits, or is it also recommended to upgrade stuff like the suspension/tires/etc. regardless?

Any help would be much appreciated.
What kind of camper?

You are largely correct in your thinking. A half ton truck will only handle a few very light slide in campers. I have a very light RAM 2500 (tradesman model) and I have done the numbers several times and cannot figure out how to safely carry a truck camper.

This thread really needs to be in the Truck Campers Forum.

Your 2900 lb number is almost exactly what I came up with, and the limiting factor is the Gross Rear Axle Weight Rating, which for me is 6000 lbs.

A 350/3500 single rear wheel works pretty well for many, as they have the extra springs and weight rating needed.

Give us the numbers on your truck.

Charles

Last edited:
The Nucamp/Cirrus 620 is one of the few truck campers light weight enough to work on half tons. However if you have well equipped truck with leather electric seats and other deluxe features, the truck gets heavier and may not have enough payload to carry it.

Charles

Thanks for the advice everyone, this has been quite helpful. To be clear I don't have any kind of truck yet, just trying to make sure I get one that can do this safely without buying more truck than I need. What I'm getting here is that full-ton is the way to go though.

What kind of camper?

I've got my eye on these:

- https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2018-Palomino-Palomino+SS1608-5022897915
- https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2020-Palomino-Backpack+Edition+SS+1240-5023632062
- https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2016-Palomino-Backpack+Edition+HS+800-5023722287

Just trying to keep it as light/affordable as possible while still having a bathroom.

Why a truck camper? Cost? Ease of use? Are you planning to tow a horse trailer or boat or something?

Pretty much just ease of use, seems like this would be less stressful than having to deal with a trailer. Though I am still considering travel trailers, especially since it looks like that'll really open up my vehicle options.

Thanks for the advice everyone, this has been quite helpful. To be clear I don't have any kind of truck yet, just trying to make sure I get one that can do this safely without buying more truck than I need. What I'm getting here is that full-ton is the way to go though.

I've got my eye on these:

- https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2018-Palomino-Palomino+SS1608-5022897915
- https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2020-Palomino-Backpack+Edition+SS+1240-5023632062
- https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2016-Palomino-Backpack+Edition+HS+800-5023722287

Just trying to keep it as light/affordable as possible while still having a bathroom.

Pretty much just ease of use, seems like this would be less stressful than having to deal with a trailer. Though I am still considering travel trailers, especially since it looks like that'll really open up my vehicle options.

As with everything there are pros and cons
For me a truck camper is aweful small but im a big guy 6'3 265 lbs also the cost of a camper buys alot of trailer. But towing a trailer is a breeze. Truck.campers are top heavy trailers are wind sales etc etc pros and cons, best advise i can give is get out and look, sit stand lay down pretend to cook go to the bathroom or watch a movie in comfort and take your time looking there are lots of options

rv ru...... How many times in a row have you climbed into a truck camper and then climbed down from it?

If you, or others who will use it, have any physical issues there will be problems.

We had one 35 years ago while we were healthy. Now a days you couldn't give me a truck camper...too hard getting in and out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom