Hi just have some questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When Ford, or any other manufacturer makes a cab/chassis that is intended to have a box van body, motor home coach, or anything else mounted on it. The "upfitter" (yes, that is the correct term) is the one responsible for completing the incomplete vehicle and certifying that it complies with all Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. So, as already noted, the VIN provided by Ford in this case, is for an incomplete vehicle.

Also, its quite possible that the cab and chassis is one (or sometimes even two) model years older than the finished product. The coach works that mounts the coach and finishes the vehicle is the one that assigns a year model to it, so you may have a 1994 cab and chassis and a 1995 completed motor home as shown on the title. You have to pay close attention to the chassis year when you are shopping parts for it.

Charles

It means that Ford shipped the cutaway van chassis as an incomplete vehicle to Thor RV and the remainder of the vehicle was not made by Ford. The vin is assigned by the chassis manufacturer.
That is what I would assume, the chassis should still have a VIN, it still is a Ford E350... just not a body.
So once you have a make "Homemade" and type "RV", should that be all you would need?
The OP already states it is a Four Wind....

This is normal, my Winnebago View said Winnebago on the title but the Sprinter chassis was technically an incomplete vehicle based on the stickers and such on the side of the seat frame and hidden inside the driver's door panel, and if you ran the VIN it came up as "Dodge chassis" or something similar.

Charles

Our Hurricane still has a chassis VIN and a FW VIN.
The chassis company cannot send out a "recall" for "incomplete VIN", it needs to be specific, what am I missing?

Are you saying that the label says "Incomplete" or when you do a search that the result says "Incomplete"?

It means that Ford shipped the cutaway van chassis as an incomplete vehicle to Thor RV and the remainder of the vehicle was not made by Ford. The vin is assigned by the chassis manufacturer.

This is my nomination for best response... If the VIN is the full length. I think 13 digits for a 1980s or older vehicle.. then "incomplete" means the thing was shipped with a kitchen chair for the driver to drive it into the plant with. NO body. No Windshield. Not even a dashboard in place.. Just a steering wheel and quite possibly not the wheel you hold on to but a cheap plastic one.

This is my nomination for best response... If the VIN is the full length. I think 13 digits for a 1980s or older vehicle.. then "incomplete" means the thing was shipped with a kitchen chair for the driver to drive it into the plant with. NO body. No Windshield. Not even a dashboard in place.. Just a steering wheel and quite possibly not the wheel you hold on to but a cheap plastic one.
The vehicle in question is an E350 van, so "incomplete" could mean either a "van cutaway" or a "stripped chassis". A cutaway has a complete cab with windshield, roof & doors, whereas the stripped chassis has none of those, just a steering wheel and the central core of the dashboard. Almost all Class C motorhomes are built on the van cutaway chassis.

Back
Top Bottom