House battery or 2005 Jamboree 31M

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarcMarc

I have apparently overcharged my house batteries on my 2005 Jamboree 31M, as the cells are quite dry after being constantly plugged in (I know, my bad). I bought the MH used, and the batteries have no labels on them. I can’t find any information on the battery type in any of my documentation but they appear to be 2 6-volt units in series. Can anyone give me the type? Thanks!

90% chance they're GC2's. Readily available at most any retail place that sells batteries. The best deal you'll find at costco or sam's club, but if you're in a pinch and need them in a hurry a place like batteries plus will have them in stock, as will some auto parts chains (more $ though).

Something to check is what converter your RV has. A modern multistage one is much kinder to batteries than something you'd find original to a 2005 RV. If it's been replaced already then lesson learned about battery maintenance but if it's a magnetek or parallax converter they have earned their reputation as "battery boilers" for a reason.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Most any type could have been put in there by previous owner(s), but someone might be able to help if you post a picture of them. But I expect that Mark's comments above will help quite a bit.

Snap a photo and post it here if you'd like confirmation. Frankly though if GC2's fit in the compartment and can be adequately secured, then they're the best value in lead acid that you're going to find anyway. An easy way to tell 6v from 12v is to count the number of cells, indicated by the cell caps. 6v has three cells per battery, 12v has six. The second way to determine the battery is case size, LxWxH. Both 6v and 12v batteries have standard/common case sizes and the type can readily be determined that way. If the labels are missing sometimes you can figure out the manufacturer by a date stamp or other marking on the case or terminals. Thinking that's of limited value at this point but I've used it to determine the origin of some house branded batteries.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

The first thing that you should do is to get a gallon of distilled water from your favorite store and also a battery filler from Amazon or from an auto store.
1714513942127.png or 1714513990984.png
You need to bring each cell up to the bottom of the throat of the opening and then see if they will recharge and hold a charge. Once that has been done you can take them to any battery selling store and they will load test them for free. Most likely they do need to be replaced but if you get flooded cell batteries you need to check the levels frequently until you learn how often to add distilled water. ONLY and always use distilled water.

Back
Top Bottom