how much weight to smooth the ride on a 3/4 ton Ford?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's the issue - I cannot lower the PSI more than 10% below that specified on the pillar or my TPMS warning engages and will not go off until I completely air all of them back to 80 PSI and start over.
That's more sensitive than most factory TPMS - it's typically at least 15% below the recommended psi or about 12 lbs in your case. You say it can go down to 65 before alarming, so that sounds about right. I'd run the tires at 70, which should be enough to avoid alarms yet still give a somewhat softer ride. It's not gonna make it into a luxury class ride, but it helps.

If you want to push the psi lower, get yourself a TPMS reset tool so you can quickly reset or recalibrate it. There are some fairly cheap ones that do rest only, and more expensive models that can re-calibrate the trigger setting. See Amazon or auto parts sources for this tool.

Toyo has load inflation tire tables..

Example...

For our Ram 2500 Power Wagon the Toyo 35 12.50R17 (35 inch) tires of the exact same load capacity and PSI as the OEM 33 inch tires aren't run at the 60F/65R per the placard unless the truck is carrying at maximum load. 37 to 40 PSI cold is more than sufficient for a 7,000 pound truck on its 35 inch tires when both unloaded or carrying of passengers. Towing it gets 50 PSI in the rear tires.

Screenshot_20231026_120827_Drive.jpg

My RAM 2500 rides just fine with the tires at recommended pressure (80 rear/75 front), and the only things I've added were an aluminum tonneau cover, a swing-away plastic tool box in the bed (with maybe 30# of tools), and the usual stuff behind the seat.
I'm a little surprised at your front tire pressure. My much older truck has 55 lbs on the door sticker for tire pressure. (LT245/70R17 tires) and the truck has a scale front axle weight of 4060 due to the Cummins and the 490 lb transmission in it. It does have a lower GVWR of 9000 lb. (Front gross axle weight rating 4630) (Rear gross axle weight rating 6000)

I think someone with the right software on the right equipment can go into the body computer and at least disable the audio warnings, if not the entire warning system.

I did watch a RAM video where they show how to use the TPMS to alert you to the proper fill pressure when you don't have a tire gauge. It will beep the horn and flash the lights, but you first have to set it to a tire fill setting.

Way too much technology for me.

Charles

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised at your front tire pressure. My much older truck has 55 lbs on the door sticker for tire pressure. (LT245/70R17 tires) and the truck has a scale front axle weight of 4060 due to the Cummins and the 490 lb transmission in it. It does have a lower GVWR of 9000 lb. (Front gross axle weight rating 4630) (Rear gross axle weight rating 6000)

I think someone with the right software on the right equipment can go into the body computer and at least disable the audio warnings, if not the entire warning system.
I know, I've never had a truck where the recommended pressure was more than about half of the max pressure rating on the sidewall for everyday driving; then I just added pressure as I added weight. I can get a device called AlfaOBD and plug it into my diagnostic port and change the parameters of the TPMS, but since the truck seems to be riding just fine where it is and I haven't seen any undue wear on the tires in the 2500 miles I've driven it, I'll just leave it alone.
I did watch a RAM video where they show how to use the TPMS to alert you to the proper fill pressure when you don't have a tire gauge. It will beep the horn and flash the lights, but you first have to set it to a tire fill setting.

Way too much technology for me.

Charles
I don't have that setting on mine. I can only scroll to the screen that tells me what the current PSI is.

The only options I paid for on this truck were tow hooks ($100), the brake controller ($350), the 5th-wheel set-up - just the pucks, not the hitch ($450), and the spry-in bedliner ($500). And they ended up giving me the bedliner for free because the dealer buggered up something that made me wait an extra week for the truck. No power windows, power locks, nothing else and the truck still has more bells and whistles that I have yet to figure out. Too much tech for me, too.

Sand tubes for winter driving/weight. Don't place them behind the rear axle, chucking can happen. Directly over the rear axle is best. They come in 60# tubes, about 300# will smooth out the ride and make transition strips less noticeable.
What's cool about using sand tubes is in slick weather you can open one and scatter sand in front of your traction tires if necessary.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom