I-59 Alabama Rest Stop Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan_Frisbie

I did a search for this, but didn't find much recent info.
We are headed to East Tennessee from Pensacola, FL in the Spring. Lenior City is about 8-9 hours with a stop or two, just a little too much for one day of travel.
In the past for overnights, we have stopped in campgrounds, but I am considering staying in an interstate rest area for the night instead of finding a campground.
Specifically, the I-59 Northbound rest area north of Birmingham, AL.
Any ideas, experiences?

A google search and about 2 seconds later, I clicked on this....

I have no idea of the level of safety, or not, just showing what is allowed on a per state basis.

Mile marker 164.7 in St Clair County at Ashville AL? Alabama has cookie cutter rest stops and this is one of them. Street view shows a nice looking rest area.

Moving up the road to Exit 181 at Gasden, if you go left at the bottom of the ramp is a Cracker Barrel on the right surrounded by Motels. It has 5 or 6 pull thru long spaces for RV's.

Directly across the interstate is The Cove RV Resort and Campground. The Google aerial views show a truck storage area, but they are old. There is a campground and a camper dealer in that area now, and has been for several years. $38 night.

Charles

A google search and about 2 seconds later, I clicked on this....

I have no idea of the level of safety, or not, just showing what is allowed on a per state basis.
I saw that, just looking primarily for people that have done this...

For full overnight camping in rest areas I have never been much of a fan of it. At the very least I use Harvest Host, even if you end up spending 20 bucks. Many of the hosts are now offering electric and even water for a small charge. And if not, a lot of the hosts allow generators if the resting area is away from any buildings or residence. This time of year when the temps are cooler its nice to have a location that I feel that I can sleep in confidence and comfort most of the night without being bothered.

Back
Top Bottom