Insulation under solar panels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is a 10 year old used trailer I just purchased so I'm assuming it is an analog antenna. There is no longer any analog tv signals floating around here that you can grab out of the air with an antenna. Is that a different story in the US? We have a small amount of signal you can get with a digital antenna I'm told, but haven't proven it personally.

Depending on your RV length and roof layout it is a challenge to get the maximum amount of solar on the roof.

I did also remove the batwing antenna that I had never used. I am also installing a Starlink after talking with Kevin Means for providing both Internet and TV.

I used a cutoff wheel and left all the sealed antenna mount and sealed up the center part. The panel that I put over it is higher than the remaining mount.

Last edited:
I'm building 4 LiFePo4 batteries totaling 1120 amphours, about 2000 watts of solar feeding 2 mppt controllers (1 for each side of the domed roof). 4000 watt inverter and all led lights, to facilitate long term boondocking. I will seldom see a campground.

I have measured the roof but haven't plotted out the panels yet. I'm thinking the batwing tv antenna is useless now, so removing that will leave room for 400 watts.
That would be a mistake.

This is a 10 year old used trailer I just purchased so I'm assuming it is an analog antenna. There is no longer any analog tv signals floating around here that you can grab out of the air with an antenna. Is that a different story in the US? We have a small amount of signal you can get with a digital antenna I'm told, but haven't proven it personally.
There is no such thing as a "digital" antenna. Some antennas are better than others, but if if it is being sent over the air your batwing antenna can grab it.

In had a 2007 with the oem antennae and it did fine w/ digital.

There is no such thing as a "digital" antenna. Some antennas are better than others, but if if it is being sent over the air your batwing antenna can grab it.
Thanks for the input. I haven't had a spare second for years to explore TV. With upcoming fulltime rving I may have time to watch TV again.

The batwing is also spec'd for FM broadcast as well, and it's on my project list to try it out with the entertainment radio. Many "digital" antennas sold today are UHF only and sometimes omindirectional, which limits their gain and effectiveness even on their design band. The batwing may be a bit unsightly but it's a good design for 50 through 700MHz or so.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

The batwing is also spec'd for FM broadcast as well, and it's on my project list to try it out with the entertainment radio. Many "digital" antennas sold today are UHF only and sometimes omindirectional, which limits their gain and effectiveness even on their design band. The batwing may be a bit unsightly but it's a good design for 50 through 700MHz or so.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Maybe there is another antenna that wouldn't block a spot where 400 watts of solar could go. Recabling isn't a problem as the entire roof (osb and all) is getting redone. Busy times at my house!

Maybe there is another antenna that wouldn't block a spot where 400 watts of solar could go. Recabling isn't a problem as the entire roof (osb and all) is getting redone. Busy times at my house!
If you cruise the forums you'll find that most people agree that the batwing outperforms any of the omnidirectional antennas out there. Makes sense because in fringe areas, height is king, and even the 18" difference between the batwing and the "magic jack" style of antennas can make a difference.

I reposted the antenna question in a more appropriate thread. It seems the term batwing has different meanings for different people.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom