Interested in truck camper experiences

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lauragail

I’ve full timed in my Nash 22 wide for years and it’s time to find a newer unit. I’m torn between a truck camper and another small tow behind. I have a 2015 GMC Sierra 2500 with crew cab and 6’7” bed. No slides desired on either TT or camper; I like to wander in nature, boondock, etc. What is it like to experience life in a truck camper vis a vis a TT?

What I like about the truck camper? It fits in most gas stations. It fits in tighter parking lots, although there are some in town that we didn't even like putting the truck into, much less with the camper on the back. It fits in tight public campgrounds. Means that we can take the bathroom and a clean bed anywhere. We take the camper into town to go shopping. Local stores tend to have out of service bathrooms or they are dirty. My daughter takes it to work on the days when she is scheduled off at Midnight (and actually works later) and has to be back in 8 hours. When we go into town, we take the dog with us and she sits in the camper while we wander around stores. We often eat lunch inside the camper with her. We often daytrip to a wildlife refuge (only 2 pit toilets in the place) and the truck camper's amenities come in handy.

What I don't like? The fuel mileage on interstates (6mpg running 70-75mph) yet oddly, it gets about 14mpg puttering to, around and from town (max speed 55mph). I do think that it would be better on a F350. But the F250 is what turned up in the right price range. As for the fuel mileage, we will stick to US/State/County Highways in the future whenever possible.

1994 Lance Squire Lite 185S on 2006 Ford F250 XL. The camper overhangs about a foot or so. I added a 30" deep "back porch" to the camper so "new" overall length is a inch or two under 21 ft. Camper has a Stabile Lift jack system. We rarely take it out of the truck, just level it inside the truck bed. I am very leary of dropping off the edge of the pavement for fear of damaging the jack system due to a 6" or more drop. I've done it on I-20 in TX, but it worried me when I did it. I worried about the tires and the jack system. Some of the pavement drop-offs are quite steep. But then pulling off on the side of I-20 in Amarillo with everyone doing 75+mph is scary. Although some people on some RV forums enjoyed our misfortune.

Used to have a Nash 22H, really liked it.

Had a truck camper for a year or so and it was great for what you are planning to do. It is a bit more difficult getting in and out of if you have bad knees.

Truck camper I had on an 8 ft bed was nice inside and the big bed over the cab was roomy. Putting it on and taking it off was a little tricky. As Arch said. sits up high from the ground. Negatives were that it was very tall and driving in winds was kinda scary at times. Climb over bed was no fun and it was a tall climb. Very little capacity for water, small refrigerator and porta potty (no holding tanks of any kind). Had a hose connection to an outside portable gray tank. It was nice to own because I had a ski boat and dirt bikes and that's the only way to tow in CA.

I prefer the TT for the same reasons you like yours.

I realize that the negatives for my camper can be overcome by having a bigger dually truck that can carry a new camper with all of the amenities mine didn't have.

A decent truck camper with features we have come to expect in a basic RV, Fresh water, black and gray tanks, at least one if not two propane cylinders.......... a bath, wet to shave weight and space, water heater, furnace, etc. will weigh north of 3000 lbs dry, far too much for a 250/2500 truck. I researched this extensively and could not find anything light enough for my RAM 2500 that had enough features to make me want to do it.

A dually 350/3500 will carry many models, but truthfully having a dually is a PITA and you have to be careful off of pavement or nice gravel roads as rocks can easily get stuck in between the tires on the rear and cause flats.

Charles

WOW! The old Lance Squire Lite 185S is REALLY light! Dry weight is 1784LBs according to Lance.

WOW! The old Lance Squire Lite 185S is REALLY light! Dry weight is 1784LBs according to Lance.
That is true. However if you look at what that dry weight covers, and doesn't cover, on those older models, there are many features that are considered optional and not included in the dry weight.

Newer brochures for most brands list higher weights, because they tend to be realistic and include everything that is normally installed (I guess that items that were optional in the past are standard nowdays).

I probably overspoke when I used 3000 lbs as a common dry weight, but every time I looked at a truck camper, and went to the brochures to see what it weighed, I was looking at 2600-2800 lbs minimum for the ones I found for sale and with my 2500 the max rear axle weight is 6000 lbs and is about 2800 empty so a camper in the 2800 lb range and then with propane, water, batteries, and gear puts me over weight.

It seems like the only older truck campers that have survived are the bigger, heavier ones.

Charles

The F250 truck carries the camper just fine. Handles crosswinds just fine, I think having a slightly larger truck might be better on mpg. Then again, maybe not. Having a crew cab would have been nice. The dog tends to take up a lot of space.

I have had big trailers and small, plus cab-overs. It is impossible to cram what my 35ft 5th with slide out, into an 8ft. cab over. I am by myself now. So, I am looking for an older 6'-6'5" slide in, not worried about appliances, I have many in my shop, lighter the better. Enjoy what you have get outside, life is very short.

We took our Lance truck camper on a road trip from CO to the Oregon coast. The big advantage of the truck camper is that you can get it into almost any space. Coming and going on this trip there were nights where we might not have found a camping spot if we had a bigger rig or trailer and tow vehicle. The disadvantage is that the older you get the harder it is getting in and out of the cabover bed, especially if you have to get up and pee in the middle of the night. I would recommend a 1 ton truck. Better to have more truck than you need rather than not enough truck

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom