Inverter generator with CO auto-shutdown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knobs

I'm looking at buying a couple of ~2500 watt inverter generators with a parallel kit for an upcoming (this summer) trip that will include some camping in no-hookup campgrounds for a number of days (not true boondocking, but close).

In on-line reviews, I find that the now ubiquitous built-in CO detect "feature" is a common source of frustration; constant shut-downs every half hour and the like. The manufacturer responses tend toward things like wind direction causing the CO-detect circuit to shut the thing down. Really? That's your excuse? Ridiculous.

The generator I am considering is the Champion 2500 watt model.

Do any of you have any experience with the Champion "CO-Shield" technology? Any issues with it? How about similar features on other brands?

You could always make your own wind. a 20" box fan or a Blower type fan from the Big Box stores to blow the exhaust away thus defeating the CO sensor. Used outdoors and properly positioned .. but alas stupid people don't do that they use 'em indoors. Often just one time.

I can't imagine a CO detector being of any value outdoors - it cannot avoid being vulnerable to wind direction (or lack of wind), shallow depressions in the ground or whatever. But every year people die because they ran their generator inside a garage or enclosed porch, so I can understand the manufacturer's motivation to include one.

But I don't see any mention of a CO device in the Champion 2500 Dual description.

I did not read much into it, spent to much time reading the manual!

But I don't see any mention of a CO device
I would expect it to be listed if there but it does state "Buy this EPA certified and CARB compliant generator with confidence" so I went looking for an explanation of what that means but only found a link to the form that needs to be submitted. CARB is the California Air Resources Board.

I did not read much into it, spent to much time reading the manual!
Yeah, I see that Champion has such a thing, but didn't see it listed as a feature on that particular model. I'm thinking it's not a universal "feature".

Yeah, I see that Champion has such a thing, but didn't see it listed as a feature on that particular model. I'm thinking it's not a universal "feature".
Yes, Champion still lists several models on their web site without CO-Shield. The problem is finding anyone who is selling them. Many stores (on-line and local) indicate they are "discontinued" -- likely meaning the store no longer carries them rather than Champion has actually discontinued them, but that is clearly the direction they are going, responding to pressure (threats) from the fed regulators I suspect.

For example, if I click on the "Where to Buy" button on the Champion site for the model you linked, I get this:

Screenshot 2024-03-15 011238.jpg

BTW, IDK where the above "Where to Buy" got the idea I was in Browerville, MN. I'm not. I'm in the Twin Cities, so I went back and corrected that. It showed a couple of Camping World stores in the Cities that sell it, but if I go to the store's web site, I get, "This item is currently not available".

And, the Norwall online site lists the product as "Discontinued."

I have a 2 year old Firman 4200 dual fuel (no CO snesor) and just checked their website. It appears all their portable models now have a CO sensor, but contractor (open frame) models do not. Maybe construction workers are less susceptible to CO? :unsure:

I have a 2 year old Firman 4200 dual fuel (no CO snesor) and just checked their website. It appears all their portable models now have a CO sensor, but contractor (open frame) models do not. Maybe construction workers are less susceptible to CO? :unsure:
Yeah, it's likely due to pressure from the gov't (or maybe even new regulations) to protect the idiots. For those of us who use these properly, it is unnecessary expense and an operational nuisance.

I finally found a store (online) that claims to have the non-CO sensor model in stock (gas only, tho) and a very reasonable price (actually lower than either CW or Amazon). The order has shipped.... we'll see what actually arrives.

Generally yes for Contractor Generators are intended to be used outdoors frequently before there is an INDOORS (I was going to say before the Doors are installed) While the building is being constructed.

Of course not all use them that way.

Generally yes for Contractor Generators are intended to be used outdoors frequently before there is an INDOORS (I was going to say before the Doors are installed) While the building is being constructed.

Of course not all use them that way.
Well, neatly packaged portable generators have the same outdoor use intent and the same warning labels as the open-frame type, but the CPSC seems to think the more elegant cover makes it more likely to be misused. Will they also move to prevent homeowners and RVers from purchasing open-frame models?

Personally, I think we should let the idiots do what they will and allow the gene pool to be self-cleaning. But that's a discussion that is surely inappropriate for this Boondocking forum.

Well, neatly packaged portable generators have the same outdoor use intent and the same warning labels as the open-frame type, but the CPSC seems to think the more elegant cover makes it more likely to be misused. Will they also move to prevent homeowners and RVers from purchasing open-frame models?

Personally, I think we should let the idiots do what they will and allow the gene pool to be self-cleaning. But that's a discussion that is surely inappropriate for this Boondocking forum.

I think it has to do with the noise level.... The Open Frame tend to be LOUD v/s the fully enclosed. Sot the makers think they are more likely to be used outdoors in a high noise )(Construction) situation instead of indoors.

But that said it's all speculation.. My Backup "Generator" is all but silent (one fan) (It is an inverter)

Let's not give the Feds too much credit for deep thought. The rationale for the Feds is simple, I think: "we need to do something" to respond to highly publicized deaths after storms.

Let's face it, government agencies have to be seen doing things to justify their budget and importance (and thus the influence of their leaders). It's the "what have you done for us lately?" measure of success. CPSC sometimes latches onto a significant safety defect and drives toward a solution, but more often they just grasp some recent news about a few people injured or dead and see where they can go with it. Easy targets of opportunity. And there is no defense cause it's never publicly acceptable to say "It was only one child who died...".

Back
Top Bottom