Lakeview RV (Ohio) park hit by tornado last night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Experienced hurricanes growing up in Florida. First time for tornadoes was Wichita Falls, TX. A tornado leveled half of Bossier City, LA in the mid 70’s when we lived there. Blizzards in Idaho and floods in Las Vegas. Our first earthquake in Japan was pretty scary. Now we live in boring Delaware. Nothing ever happens here.

Experienced hurricanes growing up in Florida. First time for tornadoes was Wichita Falls, TX. A tornado leveled half of Bossier City, LA in the mid 70’s when we lived there. Blizzards in Idaho and floods in Las Vegas. Our first earthquake in Japan was pretty scary. Now we live in boring Delaware. Nothing ever happens here.
The older I get, the more I like the "nothing happens" thing.

I had spotter training this morning You can get spotter training too. Usually free
Go to National Weather Service and search on spotter training for information.

Michigan has, I think he said. 7 Tornados in February all 7 on the 28th (Different years for the most part) the last two last 2/28 one about 10 miles from me (EF-2) the other near where I grew up (EF1 I think)
But we are now officially in the tornado station. The instructor was a good at his job.

For those who do not know National Weather Service (NWS) has centers around the country all staffed 24 hours a day 7 days a week, They are responsible for weather prediction over land and sea. also aviation weather. ... They launch (Near simultaneously) weather balloons from all the nearly all the centers in the US 4 times a day. These balloons can reach a height of 100,000 feet (About 20 miles) and last about 1 1/2 hours going wherever the wind blows. They are tracked and monitored report termp,Humidity and air pressure. also they know where they are and how fast they are moving.

The modern Doppler radar can tell if wind is rising, falling. moving side to side or rotating. It can tell the difference between drops of rain or birds flies.. Debris (Your car?) and more.

They still need spotters however as the beam does not sweep at ground level so it is possible for a tornado to literally be "under the radar" .

They have found tornado valley is moving to the Southeast.
We had 3 relatively small tornados touch down within 5 miles of our house here in central NJ april 2023 !! They were nothing like those in the mid west but knocked down a lot of trees and power lines, and tore a bunch of roofs up.. One was very near Great adventure in Jackson.
Hope for all the best for all those affected. with the current weather.. :unsure:

Last edited:
Indian Lake State Park is closed too. Damage still being determined. Closed everything, including the campground. Hope its not too bad. We have reservations for Memorial Day week.
McCormick's Creek SP in Indiana was destroyed by a tornado in 2023. The state is still re-building the RV park, which remains closed. I would not count on any CG reservation being honored. State government must adhere to required guidelines, requiring advertising for bids, contract bidding, letting, only then may actual construction begin.
Press release as of today"
CAMPGROUND CLOSED INDEFINITELY: The campground remains closed indefinitely due to the major damage caused by a F3 tornado that came through on March 31, 2023. Nearly all facets of the campground's facilities will require evaluation, repair/reconstruction, and in some instances, redesign. All campsites and Beech Grove shelter are closed indefinitely. Please watch for updates.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom