Looking for Boondocker friend/group OR. WA.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Techman101101

Hello all,

I am brand new to motorhomes and boon-docking.

I am looking to hopefully follow or join someone or group that are experienced boon-dockers in the northwest Oregon and southwest Washington areas.

I have lived my whole life in major cities obeying laws, following rules so I have some trepidation about camping in the complete wilderness.

And so far, I have only taken my 32 foot Winnebago to official (legitimate) camping spots.

But I want to try Boon Docking… I just need a “primer”, someone with experience to get me going.

Not even sure if “Boondockers” have groups or if what I am hoping to find is contrary to the idea of Boon Docking.

Anyway, I just thought I would post this to find out.

This would be for the Pacific Northwest, Portland, Oregon area, northern Oregon and southern Washington.

And I would be willing to pitch in for fuel and/or food in exchange for this guidance.

Also, I would be happy to share references (people I know at church and other friends) who will vouch for my character. (Smile)

Thanks in advance (smile)

Hang in there. There are a lot of people on this forum with knowledge to share. You just need to be aware that there is a learning curve with any type of RV-ing, especially boondocking.

Free camping is probably what most think of as boondocking but others think of it as a spot with no hook ups. You need to be self sufficient with power and water etc.

Campendium is a good place you find spots which might help you get an idea of what you are looking for.

We like forest campsites which are not free (but fairly cheap), are well looked after, have stay limits and feel safe.

Start with staying in a regular campground or even your driveway, but don't connect to utilities. Monitor your water and battery use. It will let youknow how long your can go between services. Only then start looking at “real” boondocking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Free camping is probably what most think of as boondocking but others think of it as a spot with no hook ups. You need to be self sufficient with power and water etc.

Campendium is a good place you find spots which might help you get an idea of what you are looking for.

We like forest campsites which are not free (but fairly cheap), are well looked after, have stay limits and feel safe.
Yes, thank you for your advice “Jackiemac”. Compendium is one of the six or seven apps that I have on both my IPhone and IPad that assist locating resources when out on the road.

I am about 80 percent ready to hit the road for a LONG distance road trip. Two or three things still holding me up.

First….I just upgraded my iPhone with the maximum 50 gigabytes hot spot. But I need at least one additional high speed Internet connectivity option. Considering Star Link and Verizon’s Jet pack. I have setup the Jet Pack for several of my customers and it works great and it is very user friendly. But Jet Pack still requires cell signal, so leaning towards Elon’s Star Link. I am always online…. Not just because it is my most recent trade (Microsoft Systems Engineer) but also because I am a total gamer (2D & VR).

Second… I’m considering trading/selling my Dodge camper conversion and getting a small “beater” car with a manual transmission so I can flat tow it. My van is VERY heavy and I don’t want to stress my Winnebago any more then I already am.

Third…. Even though Covid devastated my business of over ten (GOOD) years… I still have customers (and other people) that need me here in the Portland area.

So I still have a few things left to do. (Smile) 😀

If you need reliable service then I think you need Starlink!
Hello Jackiemac,
It sounds like you have Starlink? May I ask how well it works for you? How long have you been using it? Do you know your average connection speed? Once connected does it drop signal very often? May I ask what general area you are in? I live in the Portland, Oregon area.
Anyway, sorry about all the questions, it’s just Starlink is a bit of an expense.
I believe it is $600 for the equipment and $135 per month for the stationary (not moving) RV subscription plan. And the contract CAN be paused if say a person parks there RV for the winter
Thanks in advance (smile)

I have both a Verizon MiFi 5G jet pack and StarLink.

The MiFi is now my backup and I will probably not use or need it again.

The speed on my test at setup in my driveway was amazing, (over 100 mpps), and the coverage went all the way into my house thru four walls.

The monthly rate for the traveling version is $150 up from $135 a month and can be paused.

I have not traveled since installing it.

If you do get it I would recommend checking with Kevin Means on this Forum about a great mounting system he developed.

I believe that StarLink was initially rolled out in Seattle.

The second issue that you might want to research after connectivity is having a good source of electricity. Ideally a renewable source is in my opinion the best option for boondocking.

You might find some ideas in the following link to the over engineered system that I built as a project.

It provides 24/7 power. both AC and DC.

My goal was to see what it would take to provide Air Conditioning from a mostly solar power source.

You do not necessarily need this large of a system.

The thread is rather long but it does have lots of detail.

No, I don't have it yet. But from reading experiences here it sounds like the most reliable option.

We have Starlink. Got it past November, we use at home base when we are home. Pack it up and travel with it, when we are in travel trailer. We just had the best experience last year on our 4 month trip. Sets up easy, then we bought a Roku and stream our TV and all devices with Starlink.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom