Louisiana music food attraction nearby Slidell , LA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pawntan

Done with Orlando Florida for 2 months , now I'm in Slidell LA RV park for a month. Can someone please recommend good and fun things to see, eat experience in Louisiana that is not to far a drive from Slidell ? I am thinking more of a cajun/creole culture / food /market/ attraction thing.
I have done the main New Orleans attraction such as French quarter WW2 museum, Cafe Du Monde, etc, so not looking to repeat those.
I really want to go to Avery Island to visit Tabasco factory , but it's 2 more hours drive from Slidell, so not sure if I can make it there

Done with Orlando Florida for 2 months , now I'm in Slidell LA RV park for a month. Can someone please recommend good and fun things to see, eat experience in Louisiana that is not to far a drive from Slidell ? I am thinking more of a cajun/creole culture / food /market/ attraction thing.
I have done the main New Orleans attraction such as French quarter WW2 museum, Cafe Du Monde, etc, so not looking to repeat those.
I really want to go to Avery Island to visit Tabasco factory , but it's 2 more hours drive from Slidell, so not sure if I can make it there
Slidell is kind of a way point on I-10 in between most everything. If 2 hrs. is beyond your range your choices are going to be severely limited from there.

Why not turn North a little and head to St. Francisville, LA. There are 3 State Historic Sites near here.

1). The Audubon State Historic Site
2). Rosedown Plantation
3). Port Hudson and the Port Hudson National Cemetary.

There is also the Myrtles in St. Francisville, which is now a motel, but is suppose to the be the most haunted motel in the USA. They do ghost tours there.

St. Francisville (Bayou Sara) was one of the main river boat stops along the Mississippi River. Port Hudson has the longest and most costly (in human life) Civil War battle of the Civil War. Audubon is a Plantation, not destroyed during the Civil war, but has it's history 40 years before the Civil War. This area is jam-packed full of history if you seek it out.

St. Francisville has some quaint restaurants, (not necessarily Cajun) but all local culture.

If you want Cajun country, you need to get West of the Mississippi River and stay in the Southern quarter of the State.

Lafayette, really is not that cajun, it is sort of an island where all the people from other places has settled. In other words while you can find some cajun food in Lafayette, you can also find Greek, Italian, etc.

We are going to be camping in Abbeville next week. I hope to write a review afterwards. Looking forward to it!

While in the Abbeville area make sure to drive over to Suire's Grocery and restaurant about 5 miles south of Kaplan, not only do they have great homestyle cajun food, they also sell heat and serve portions that you can bring back to the RV with you. (the place looks like a ran down shack) If you want to try more fancy cajun fusion food, go to Cafe Jefferson at Rip Van Winkle gardens (open for lunch only). Both are within about a dozen miles of Abbeville.

While in the Abbeville area make sure to drive over to Suire's Grocery and restaurant about 5 miles south of Kaplan, not only do they have great homestyle cajun food, they also sell heat and serve portions that you can bring back to the RV with you. (the place looks like a ran down shack) If you want to try more fancy cajun fusion food, go to Cafe Jefferson at Rip Van Winkle gardens (open for lunch only). Both are within about a dozen miles of Abbeville.
Thanks!

Also if you need an actual grocery store in the area try Larry's Super Foods in Kaplan, they have a good selection of local foods, decent meat and bakery section, etc. There may be other good ones in the area, but this is no go to one when we are traveling to the area, of course for us it is on the way. (Kaplan is just over 100 miles from my house)

Also if you need an actual grocery store in the area try Larry's Super Foods in Kaplan, they have a good selection of local foods, decent meat and bakery section, etc. There may be other good ones in the area, but this is no go to one when we are traveling to the area, of course for us it is on the way. (Kaplan is just over 100 miles from my house)
Thanks! Added to the list.

I’ve done a little reading about The Little Big Cup | Arnaudville, Louisiana and Russell's Food Center Worth the trek from Abbeville?

I personally would not make that drive when there are so many other potentially closer options for both dine in and grocery carry out. Google says that is about 43 mile from Abbeville, plus it involves a few minutes of delay going through Lafayette. Now I would say yes make the 53 mile drive to D.I. Cajun in Basile, but be prepared to wait an hour or more for a table on the weekends even if arriving at 5:30 pm. Other places I consider a must try are Pat's on the Wharf in Henderson (39 miles), this is the place that put cajun food on the national map in the 1950's and 60's, the original owner that was key in putting cajun food on the national scene Pat Huval died at the age of 88 in 2018. Pat's on the Wharf is as much about the history and nostalgia as it is the food, for bonus points go here for lunch on a Sunday when the locals show up after Church.

The last time we were in Slidell, we ate at Phil's Marina Cafe. It was a pretty good seafood restaurant.

@Isaac-1

Just poked all your ideas on my google map to Beaumont Texas from Avery island. Thanks.

It's nice to have many ideas. It's HARD to make the final plan.

We leave home the beginning of May.

We have time yet, but I like a plan of some sort.

If it goes awry, no problem, but at least I have familiarized myself somewhat.

Do you know what I mean?

They have turtle soup! My absolute favorite. Don’t know when in season is but I hope it’s now!
In Maryland, you can catch snapping turtles any time of the year.

There is no SEASON to speak of, BUT, when a thunderstorm would roll through out at Granny's, I could walk down to the pond bank and pick up a turtle in each hand by the tail.

Dad and I could skin a turtle leg quickly. The whole time we would skin, he would complain that I shouldn't do that. hahahah

He always worried I would get bit and they don't let go. I would never have done it if I didn't think I could.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom