Need an advise, life changing decision

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am thinking of selling my house and move to a travel trailer.
The big question here is what do you expect to achieve by that? Getting the equity from your house? Downsizing? Reducing monthly expenses? Moving to a different part of Dallas?

As others have already stated, a travel trailer, or any sort of RV, is not an ideal house, especially for climate extremes. It makes a lot of tradeoffs to gain mobility and small size, and those tradeoffs sacrifice living space, storage, heat & noise insulation, generous amounts of electricity & hot water, and probably many other inconveniences you've never thought much about. People do live in RVs, both the mobile type and park models, but they usually have goals that override the drawbacks of RV limitations. Frankly, if you just want lower cost housing on a piece of land somewhere, I'd suggest a manufactured home rather than a park model RV. Those are designed for year around living and meet state and federal codes for permanent residential housing. RVs do not.

A typical travel trailer offers 200-280 sq ft of living space that contains living & dining room, kitchen, bedroom, and bath. Including every bit of storage space - closets, drawers, and whatever is now basement or garage stuff. And no laundry room. Ditto for a "tiny house".

Based on your "empty nester" description, I'm guessing that downsizing is the major goal, probably with the idea that a downsized home will be less expensive to own & operate. Depending on what you now have and what sort of new RV home would suit your needs, it will be smaller and may be somewhat less expensive, but probably nowhere near what you may think.

Last edited:
Some guy with poor english skills using a picture of a pretty girl to scam people out of their hard earned money. These people have no shame.
I caught a 1 hr. episode about it on NPR a week or so ago, it's become very sophisticated, they'll spend days building trust through dialogue and only then do they begin slowly closing the trap. Once they've got their prey convinced they're legitimate it's only a matter of time. This one is typical, "I'm young and hot looking, recently divorced and in need of advice, can one of you big strong men help?"

I caught a 1 hr. episode about it on NPR a week or so ago, it's become very sophisticated, they'll spend days building trust through dialogue and only then do they begin slowly closing the trap. Once they've got their prey convinced they're legitimate it's only a matter of time. This one is typical, "I'm young and hot looking, recently divorced and in need of advice, can one of you big strong men help?"
Bingo. My son’s father in law stupidly lost his entire savings to one of these scammers.

Lived in Texas for 10 years, stationed at Ft Hood. Needed a quick place when I was moved there. Rented a trailer in a trailer park. Lasted a year due to cold winter and the tornado that went over us. If you really need to do this, go rent a trailer house for 1 year, all 4 seasons. You will think twice afterwards. Not sure your circumstances but you’re better off getting the land you want, put a ok size cabin on it. Would be safer than a trailer. You can always add on as time and money permit. As others have said, permits, well, electricity will be needed and initial cost is fairly large. If you do a park model, make some kind of storm shelter. Don’t forget personal protection if you will be by yourself. Good luck.

“She” says she’s from Kaufman, a town of an entire 6,700 people 35 miles from Dallas. You men are so gullible. Classic catfishing. Watch your PMs for a while, and you will probably get messages asking for your help.

“She” says she’s from Kaufman, a town of an entire 6,700 people 35 miles from Dallas. You men are so gullible. Classic catfishing. Watch your PMs for a while, and you will probably get messages asking for your help.
I am curious how you came to that conclusion. But I do have a guess.

-Don- Reno, NV

I am curious how you came to that conclusion. But I do have a guess.

-Don- Reno, NV
UT's conclusion is based on the overwhelming likelihood no attractive, young, recently divorced female homeowner with walking around sense needs the advice of a group of white men old enough to be her grandpa. "Her" picture isn't in her signature by accident.
There's more, the IRS hasn't issued a warrant for your arrest, The Social Security Administration doesn't need your acc't # so they can deposit a large sum of money you're owed, the FBI doesn't need you to go to Wal-Mart and purchase $2,000 in gift cards to avoid arrest for unpaid traffic tickets.
I don't know this because as you're inferring, I've fallen victim to any of these scams, but because I have walking around sense.

Last edited:
That was one of the main reasons I expected the same, but with no real evidence, I give the benefit of the doubt--to a point. That point is usually when they ask for money or Information that could lead to such.

-Don- Reno, NV
The benefit of the doubt is what they're counting on. They know what they are, just like a TV Preacher knows he's a scumbag, it's the 1 in a 1,000 who are naive enough to give them the benefit of the doubt who they're after.

OK, guys, we get your point, so knock off the bad-mouthing. Remember the Community Rules? No personal attacks?

We are all adults here and can make our own decisions about who we chat with and their credibility. From the forum staff's perspective, we still use that old-fashioned concept - innocent until proven guilty.

OK, guys, we get your point, so knock off the bad-mouthing. Remember the Community Rules? No personal attacks?

We are all adults here and can make our own decisions about who we chat with and their credibility. From the forum staff's perspective, we still use that old-fashioned concept - innocent until proven guilty.
Bad mouthing who?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheriRv
Back
Top Bottom