Need help switching from an Atwood cg6aa-10e to a suburban saw6del hot water heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jenne8675309

Our 2013 keystone Springdale needed a new hot water heater, the replacement for the Atwood gc6aa-10e is the suburban saw6del 5322a. The old one has wire colors blue, green, orange and white. The new they said I needed a new switch, which is opposite of my old one, the electric button is now where the gas button is… The new hot water heater has blue, orange, green, and red wires. So does The red wire replaced my white wire on the old one?

Your RV's wiring colors might not match the colors that Atwood has on the heater. Ata least you have the correct model Suburban heater. Cut your wires on the Atwood so an inch or so of the original Atwood wire remains, so you can easily figure it out.

Do NOT do anything at your switch panel, just make the proper connections at the water heater.

The BLUE wire from the Atwood supplies the warning light, and the Suburban also uses BLUE for the light.
Now it gets confusing..........
The WHITE wire on the Atwood will connect to the ORANGE wire on the Suburban, to control the electric heat element.
The ORANGE wire on the Atwood will connect to the RED wire on the Suburban, to control the gas heat.
The GREEN wire on the Atwood will connect to ground, and if the Suburban has a Green or Black wire it uses for ground, connect to it.

If you have any issues, it will be the ground. I always carry the ground wire from the water heater back to the switch panel, but most manufacturers will not, it involves another wire, so they drop to the nearest ground.

I really need to start collecting these discarded Atwood units and rebuilding them. There is nothing on them that cannot be repaired or replaced, and I feel that they are a better heater than the Suburban.

Charles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom