New to RV, and need some recommendations on routers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Artinus

Hello everyone, I'm currently looking into routers for RV setups. Where did you guys buy your routers and any recommendations on a specific model or brand? Is it necessary to get an RV antenna?

This really depends on ones personal needs many people just use a wifi cellular hotspot which typically support 10-15 wifi connections at once. This is all my wife and I use, though we get close to hitting the device connection limit when notebook computers, tablets, cell phones smart TV, etc are all connected at once, and may move to some type of router in the future.

Please describe what you are tring to access via that router. If you are just trying to get RV park wifi service, you probably want an external antenna and a range extender (aka repeater) that re-broadcasts the signal it receives. Even then, RV park wifi can be problematic, overloaded and with poor internet access.

But if you want to send & receive cellular data like your smart phone does, you need a combo of a cellular modem and a router to generate your own "hotspot" (wireless Lan). These are usually packaged as a "mobile hotspot" and the device has its own "phone line" as well as the router. A device like a Verizon Jetpack is an example. You can also use your smart phone as a mobile hotspot, but that may not be convenient if the phone owners walks away from other family members.

What do you need a router for?
I'm using it for a 3 weeks road trip in Bangor, Maine, to Seattle, Washington. I'm traveling with my fam so we're sharing a T mobile data plan in a group of 5 ppl. Kids need the Internet for gaming and I have to attend zoom meetings sometimes.

This really depends on ones personal needs many people just use a wifi cellular hotspot which typically support 10-15 wifi connections at once. This is all my wife and I use, though we get close to hitting the device connection limit when notebook computers, tablets, cell phones smart TV, etc are all connected at once, and may move to some type of router in the future.
We're travelling in a group of five ppl, and probably going to exceed 15 devices. Looking for a WiFi 6 router with wall mount now. Do you think Dual SIM card slot is necessary? Where did you get your router? Just missed the opportunity to shop during Amazon Prime Day. Wonder if there're any RV platforms that sells or rent routers.

Please describe what you are tring to access via that router. If you are just trying to get RV park wifi service, you probably want an external antenna and a range extender (aka repeater) that re-broadcasts the signal it receives. Even then, RV park wifi can be problematic, overloaded and with poor internet access.

But if you want to send & receive cellular data like your smart phone does, you need a combo of a cellular modem and a router to generate your own "hotspot" (wireless Lan). These are usually packaged as a "mobile hotspot" and the device has its own "phone line" as well as the router. A device like a Verizon Jetpack is an example. You can also use your smart phone as a mobile hotspot, but that may not be convenient if the phone owners walks away from other family members.
Thanks for the information. I'm planning to get a sim card, so need a router with a modem. I saw someone recommend Spitz AX from the GL.iNet, dual sim card slots, one modem, wifi 6 router with multi-wan options. But I dont have any experience with the GL.iNet router before, not sure abt its reliability.

A router with a modem will not do what you want. You need a hard wired Internet to use a router. There really is no such thing as an RV router. Some people might call something an RV router but there is nothing special that would make it an RV router. It would work anywhere. What you are really looking for is a Gateway. It will take an over the air signal and then route it where you want.

Last edited:
Yes, the Pepwave connection reliability greatly justifies the price compared to ordinary hotspot devices from Verizon and ATT, even attached to the same antennas. These things are designed to be used in trains etc. They can handle hundreds of client devices etc.

It all depends on how important the internet service is to you. You can of course be so far out there that there's no cell service at all.

Technorv.com is a good dealer.

A router with a modem will not do what you want. You need a hard wired Internet to use a router. There really is no such thing as an RV router. Some people might call something an RV router but there is nothing special that would make it an RV router. It would work anywhere. What you are really looking for is a Gateway. It will take an over the air signal and then route it where you want.
Seiler, not sure what you mean. I have satellite internet and the only "hard wiring" is between the dish and my modem; then to my router and then to my PC. We don't have a cable or DSL internet connection, or a landline phone, which is what I think of when I think of "hard-wired". We use the modem to connect the PC to the internet, but the router is used by our cell phones for wi-fi connection to everything - internet, cell service, etc.

The ASUS RT-AX82U is a suitable WiFi 6 router for your requirements. A dual SIM is not required if you're only using one carrier. For discounts, check out B&H Photo, Newegg, or Best Buy. The Winegard Converge appears dependable but is expensive GL.inet Spitz AX. Although it has several functions, its dependability can fluctuate. Togo Roadlink C2 is also a good option.

If you have a router at home - just bring it with you - not much setup to change and all you devices will recognize it without undue turmoil.

We use our T-mobile hotspot and support seven devices between the two of us - we stream (when we have good Cell or campground WiFi). We bring our Mac Mini with us and hook to the TV as our home theater - so we don't have to learn a second operating system or setup to watch movies or wander the web.

What you need is a mobile hotspot, NOT a router. Routers are only used for hard-wired internet access like you have at home. You could bring a router from home, but what cable line will you hook it up to???? Or do you mean you have satellite internet on your RV? If so, why can't your kids hook use your satellite internet on the road. Contact your satellite signal provider to see what you need.

If you do not have satellite internet on your RV, contact your cell phone company and buy a hotspot from them. However, be aware that that requires a separate line and probably has a monthly limit on data, so you need to ask those questions of your cell provider.

You also probably have some data on your phones that your kids can use, but my guess is that they will have to be less connected on your trip, which is what a vacation is supposed to be about.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom