New to this site

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

memsahib8

Hi everyone. Happy to be here. Made it through some pretty torrential rain days in my new-to-me pop up and am pleased to say that without any sort of treatment stayed bone dry in a 27-year old Starcraft that's been incredibly well-maintained. This is a pared-down model so I am heating with a small electric heater and an electric blanket on my bed cushion covered with quite a few layers of blankets. So far so good.

Welcome aboard! I did some tent camping late in fall in WV. I had only brought my summer sleeping bag and froze my unmentionables off...

I ended up running the camp stove for 20 minutes, then sleeping for an hour, rinse repeat until the sun came up and I could pack up and run away - LOL...

I was gonna buy a pop up last year as an "easy" way to go camping but ended up buying a teardrop project (that I can't use until I restore it) instead. I am addicted to projects - LOL...

1666007498683.png

Welcome aboard! I did some tent camping late in fall in WV. I had only brought my summer sleeping bag and froze my unmentionables off...

I ended up running the camp stove for 20 minutes, then sleeping for an hour, rinse repeat until the sun came up and I could pack up and run away - LOL...

I was gonna buy a pop up last year as an "easy" way to go camping but ended up buying a teardrop project (that I can't use until I restore it) instead. I am addicted to projects - LOL...

View attachment 158592
That's a cool project. I bought a house one time and there was a '57 Sportsman tear drop in the back yard. A couple of weeks after we moved in, a guy drove up and handed me the title to it. Unfortunately, it was too far gone to save and ended up as a utility trailer. That was really too bad, because at the time my daily driver was a '54 Chevy 3100. Would have made a nice looking combo if I could have saved it.

I love your locking mechanisms on the doors.

To the OP, welcome to the forum. Hope you have lots of questions that we can help you with. No question is too small or dumb. If you don’t know the answer it’s not dumb to ask.

Welcome, I know the feeling about getting cold.

On our first night it was 50 degrees, and my wife told me, when we camped in out pop up all we needed was sleeping bags. It was fine till the temp dropped down to 27 degrees, which got me scrambling for my shoes and flashlight to go outside and open up the valves on the LP tanks, power up the pup camper, wait for the gas detector to boot, and try and pray like hell I didn't misread the startup instructions on the furnace.

Within 30 minutes I was warm, and 3 minutes after that my wife woke up and told me I was a wimp. She then shook her head and went back to sleep.

I live in the Mojave Desert, and one day decided a small camper would be a grand way to explore the desert. With no camping experience since the 60s and no RV experience at all, I bought an 80s-vintage Cycle-Kamp popup motorcycle camp trailer. What could go wrong? Now I'm working on returning it to the road. It needed new sleeping platforms and supports (done), new wiring (in progress), and new tires (done). The most daunting thing is finding new material for the thing. It's currently wearing an orange-ish canvas attached to roof and base via snaps. Should I continue with canvas, or are current nylon tent fabrics sufficiently strong? I'd be grateful for any guidance on the subject.

Our first camper (that we owned) was a Starcraft Venture (1999 model). It did have a furnace in it, but no air conditioner. We did a LOT of cold weather and snow camping with it.

We discovered electric blankets ... AFTER we traded for our first hard sided travel trailer! I don't know why we never thought of electric blankets when we had the pop-up, it would have made things so much more comfortable in snowy weather.

Congrats on your purchase and it sounds like you are already leap-years ahead of where we were with our pop-up! And ... welcome to the forums!

Welcome to the most friendly and least cantankerous RV forum there is. (With only a couple of exceptions. Not to worry, they're harmless) ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom