North America Road trip for 2 Brits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
    OBD, due to covid only Canadians can enter Canada for tourism reasons, and while they are talking about allowing spouses to join them, at present they cannot, and those returning Canadians are required to quarantine for 14 days.  All others are banned from entry.
      However, the OP is planning a trip for the fall of 2021, surely the pandemic will be under control by then and we can return to some type of normalcy with regard to travel.

Ed

Not trying to be argumentative but I have watched people get turned away (some get quite angry)

The left side are requirements to register and the right side are requirements to title it in Ohio. Technically it appears you don't need a license.

Attachments

• ohio title.JPG
    ohio title.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 9
Thanks for posting that. I haven't tried to register anything other than a car in OH, and I don't know if the requirements are different for RV v car.

Nevada is very friendly to us Scots apart from charging us Sales Tax. We had no problems registering our vehicles but buying a brand new truck caused us a few discussions as manufacturers don't want you exporting.

We are happy to discuss our experiences too, feel free to PM me and I can arrange a call.

Tony has the knowledge of extending Visa as they are out there now. We are stuck at home unfortunately.

I wrote a document which is in the library, could be doing with a bit of updating but might help.

https://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php/25-visitors-to-the-usa/519-visiting-the-us-from-the-uk

Thanks for jumping in Jackie. Your article should help answer a number of questions.

Tom said:
Thanks for jumping in Jackie. Your article should help answer a number of questions.
No problem Tom. I had started updating the document but never got round to finishing it. I'll get back onto it soon.

Aye Jackie, it's always good having current info. We both had B1/B2 visas when we lived in the UK, because we visited the US on business in the 70's and early 80's. We subsequently went through several other visa processes, including L1, then green card (resident alien), and eventually naturalization.

We've sponsored several family members from the UK (B1/B2, green card), then it was up to them to keep their noses clean (IIRC for 5 years) before applying for citizenship.

We've also had countless UK family and friends visit (on holidays) over the years and needing advice on visas and ESTA visa waiver. So, I tended to keep up with things, but they change continuously. I think all bets are off in today's climate, and compounded by the COVID issue.

So, I always say "Know before you go".

[quote author=jackiemac]I had started updating the document but never got round to finishing it.
[/quote]
The story of my life  :-[

I'll get back onto it soon.
I have a lot of those projects  :)

Tom said:
Good luck, and please keep us updated on your plans. We'd especially like to hear from you during your trip; Many of us will follow along. If the stars align, you might even run into forum members along the way, and you'd be welcomed by new friends.

BTW what part of the UK do you live in?

We live in Cornwall, South West England.
I will try and attach a photo of our van parked at a local heritage site.

Attachments

• A620BB72-B158-49E0-AFF7-1BD9B6EA090B.jpeg
    A620BB72-B158-49E0-AFF7-1BD9B6EA090B.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 17
Thanks for the photo. Beautiful part of the country. I have many fond memories of visiting family in Bodmin as a kid, in my youth, and on visits back to the UK, but it's been a few years.

Born, bred and lived 32 years in South Wales. On the rare days when it wasn't raining, we could see the outline of the West Country across the Bristol channel.

Many Cornish tin miners came to the gold country of California to work the gold mines. There's a Cornish community north of us in Grass Valley, and the nearest place I can buy Cornish pasties. But they're not the same as the original pasties my aunt in Bodmin used to make.

Another small Cornish-related story ... my Dad carried a pixie on his keychain &/or in his pocket for as a long as I can remember. He swore it brought him good luck. Dad's brother was the uncle in Bodmin.

If you are in Cornwall and you make it over here, you ought to bring a barrel of St Austell ales HSD for these poor deprived souls what a good beer tastes like.

MissD said:
For a while now me and the Mr have been planning a big road trip to North America.
We are both British Citizens and I have dual Canadian Citizenship.
We plan on starting our adventure October 2021, travel to either Canada or the USA, buy an RV (C class motorhome) and spend 10-12 months travelling.
We have had a couple of motorhome holidays in both the USA and Canada and we want more.
I realise that the visa situation limits us to 3 months in the USA, so the plan is to cross the border when the time is up and explore Canada, obviously the time of year will factor into our plan.
I have a Canadian bank account, Social Insurance number and a friends home we could use as a base. I was wondering if it would be easier to purchase an RV in Canada?
I can imagine that the cost would be higher, but cannot get my head around how you could purchase a unit in the States if you are a non-resident.
I was hoping to get some advice from all the experienced people on this forum.
Thanks

Your best option is to use your Canadian citizenship, Canadian banking history and Canadian address to purchase in Canada. Depending on Province, most Canadian auto insurance providers will accept your UK driving history so you won't fall into the US insurance money pit. Except for BC, you don't need a Canadian driver's license to own a vehicle in Canada. You'll also experience a better yield on currency conversion vs. the US dollar.

most Canadian auto insurance providers will accept your UK driving history

That's a biggie, and something I didn't know. Thanks.

The only issue I see with using her Canadian citizenship is the OP doesn't make it clear whether her partner has the same status.

[quote author=Tom]Thanks for

Born, bred and lived 32 years in South Wales. On the rare days when it wasn't raining, we could see the outline of the West Country across the Bristol channel.[/quote]

Strange that Tom, a lot of us West County folk could stand on the cliff tops around North Devon and Somerset and see South Wales. Many thought that the best way to see it, from a distance. (Not me, love the Welsh?)

Edit: Fixed quote tags.

[quote author=TonyL]...a lot of us West County folk could stand on the cliff tops around North Devon and Somerset and see South Wales.[/quote]

You may have seen me waving  :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom