Off to Colorado!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DogwoodLynx

I am leaving in the early morning to make my way out of Texas and on to Colorado.

Its my first real trip in the trailer that I have been living in for a couple months!

I am excited and a little nervous about things like getting fuel.

I am excited and a little nervous about things like getting fuel.
Truck stops in Colorado usually provide enough space for refilling while towing a TT. Unfortunately, they're on the flatlands along mostly the Interstates and US highways with very few within the higher elevation Rocky Mountains (darker green on satellite image). It's not always easy to access the smaller fuel station pumps within a resort or mining town. Plenty of tourists filling up cars. Good luck.

chrome_screenshot_1689943778953.png

chrome_screenshot_1689943721732.png

Last edited:
In the beginning plan on Loves, Pilot and Flying J. These usually have the biggest space to maneuver in and parking if you want to stretch your legs. Many will have a dump station.

However it is a good idea to check the sattelite view on the map. I stopped at a pilot that was unusually small and tight - really weird.

I am assuming a gas truck. We always looked at fuel stations on Google earth and from the road carefully. Rural areas are generally better than urban or heavy tourist areas because lots of people in rural areas tow trailers of livestock or gear regularly. If you have a diesel truck, just use the truck stops. And make sure you remember to downshift going down mountains rather than riding your brakes. If you haven’t done a lot of mountain driving before, look up some info on how to do it and make sure your trailer brakes are properly adjusted. Have fun and enjoy the trip. We are sitting 7000’ in Wyoming, and the cool is fabulous.

Thanks for all the replies. Trip was a success with a few minor things to fix this weekend!

Gas wasnt too bad to find. The worst station was a Loves south of Walsenburg on I25 (cant remember exactly where) but it was super busy and I got yelled at for blocking someone in a parking spot lol. I learned that some Sinclairs are ok because their pumps are angled better.

Stayed in Blue Mesa Resevoir near Gunnison at Stevens Creek Campground. No hook ups but water is available on every row. I learned that I want electrical hookups at the very least.

I have about a year of trucking experience (hated it) so I had done some mountain driving before. This felt different especially because I was literally towing my house!

Monarch Pass was rough but doable.

Went to Black Canyon of Gunnison NP (without the trailer!) and had a great time. Drove down East Portal Road with 16 percent grades and VERY tight switchbacks.

I made it home to Texas safe and sound.

Things that broke/need to be fixed:

Scissor Stabilizer Jack - bent I think because I ran over a piece of tire.
Screens are coming out of screen door. Going to install sturdyer screens.
Cabinet latch unscrewed itself and took some wood with it.
Black streak removal because some butthole in an RV ran into me (thankfully, just a love tap!).

Oh and my truck battery died yesterday so that was $200 with AAA (3 year warranty).

All in all it was a great trip.

Thanks for all the replies. Trip was a success with a few minor things to fix this weekend!

Gas wasnt too bad to find. The worst station was a Loves south of Walsenburg on I25 (cant remember exactly where) but it was super busy and I got yelled at for blocking someone in a parking spot lol. I learned that some Sinclairs are ok because their pumps are angled better.

Stayed in Blue Mesa Resevoir near Gunnison at Stevens Creek Campground. No hook ups but water is available on every row. I learned that I want electrical hookups at the very least.

I have about a year of trucking experience (hated it) so I had done some mountain driving before. This felt different especially because I was literally towing my house!

Went to Black Canyon of Gunnison NP (without the trailer!) and had a great time. Drove down East Portal Road with 16 percent grades and VERY tight switchbacks.

Black streak removal because some butthole in an RV ran into me (thankfully, just a love tap!).

Oh and my truck battery died yesterday so that was $200 with AAA (3 year warranty).

Correction: the guy was in a Uhaul.

Our youngest daughter drove over Monarch Pass from Gunnison daily in winter to work at the ski area.

Our youngest daughter drove over Monarch Pass from Gunnison daily in winter to work at the ski area.
YIkes! I would want 4WD for that and I dont know if I would want to do that daily!

Until this trip I had forgotten how much of a PITA mountain driving is but it sure is great for vacations!

I do love myself some Colorado winter though!

Colorado is one of the states I am considering moving to relatively permenantly - probably Colorado Springs.

Monarch Pass still has the worst odds of getting in a wreck over the Colorado Rockies.

I definitely don't doubt it! I observed some dumb stuff as I was passing through, as well as just having narrow roads and some construction before and after.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom