Onan Generator Over Fueling Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The choke plate closes when cranking and as soon as it starts the plate opens allowing air in. I picked up a pressure gauge for the fuel but ended up breaking my wrist the same day and haven't been able to do much with one hand. Once I get the fuel pressure verified, I'll have to go from there. I do have the manual now, just haven't invested much time towards it lately...

My 4000 has a mechanical choke when at ambient, the choke plate should be closed from a thermal spring which as it warms up, it opens up the plate.
Mine would also "open" when the unit cooled down, so I have learned to 'release' the stuck choke before starting, otherwise I would need to crank the unit for 'sometime' before it would fire up.

Attachments

• Onan_choke.png
    Onan_choke.png
    979.1 KB · Views: 11
My 4000 has a mechanical choke when at ambient, the choke plate should be closed from a thermal spring which as it warms up, it opens up the plate.
Mine would also "open" when the unit cooled down, so I have learned to 'release' the stuck choke before starting, otherwise I would need to crank the unit for 'sometime' before it would fire up.
OK, I'll definitely keep an eye out for that next time I'm cranking it. I've never payed any attention to see if mine stays open when cooling or not. It cranks right up with a fresh plug. It just doesn't stay happy very long. Maybe 20 minutes before it sputters out.

OK, I'll definitely keep an eye out for that next time I'm cranking it. I've never payed any attention to see if mine stays open when cooling or not. It cranks right up with a fresh plug. It just doesn't stay happy very long. Maybe 20 minutes before it sputters out.
A stuck closed choke is somewhat common on Onans. It has happened to my Onan. It was the first thing I checked when I once had your symptoms of running way too rich.

You should be able to force it open by hand after the genny starts and runs for a half minute or so and see if that fixes it temporally and then go for a permanent fix. Be sure to check the cheap tubing piece that transfers the heat from the exhaust to the choke:

1713401688464.png

-Don- Reno, NV

If yours is flooding, it possibly could stay "closed" when warming up, that would definitely cause it to quit. I posted the image of an older Onan, I dunno if new ones still have the mechanical-style of choke.

The tubing I showed in message 45 is shown at the extreme right on message number 43 when the photo is opened up and much larger.

That tubing is VERY important to turn off the choke and fails often. Before you even start the genny next time, check that tube when the genny is COLD. Make sure it has no tears, holes and is in both slots. It is connected from the bottom of the choke box to the exhaust. Without that heat from the exhaust on the coke coil, the genny will run VERY rich when it warms up and then will die.

And it's such a common failure, buy a spare. You can get them on E-bay here.

-Don- Reno, NV

Choke adjustment: Onan manual (8-17)

1. Allow the genset to cool down. The tempera-
ture inside the housing must be the same as
the ambient temperature.

2. Loosen the adjustment screw holding the ad-
justment plate.

3. Slowly rotate the adjustment plate until the bi-
metal choke shaft connection is visible in the
sight window. This is the correct setting for an
ambient temperature of 70° F (21° C).

If the ambient temperature is higher or lower