Opinions from those who know

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jarmijo6

Hello everyone, just wondering if anyone has anything that they would do different on the below wiring diagram. I just got a new Coachmen spirit travel trailer and want to prepare it for boon docking for a few days at a time. Live in NM so very sunny and I figured I would take advantage of that. I appreciate anyones feedback. Thanks in advance - Julian

Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 9.50.20 AM.png

a couple of notes I forgot:
The shunt will be a victron with bluetooth and display.
The distribution box is the factory WFCO WF-8955-AD with the auto detect on the charge controller.

Hello everyone, just wondering if anyone has anything that they would do different on the below wiring diagram. I just got a new Coachmen spirit travel trailer and want to prepare it for boon docking for a few days at a time. Live in NM so very sunny and I figured I would take advantage of that. I appreciate anyones feedback. Thanks in advance - Julian

View attachment 161868

welcome to the forum,

two questions.

1. what is the Voc of those panels
2. what controller do you intend to use.

Thank for the welcome,
Each panel is 21.32voc and in setting them 3S2P. The controller will be a victory 100/30.

Thanks for the input.

the max voltage you might ever see on a cold day would be around 85 Volts.. so the controller
is good.. any specific reason you are going 3S2P ?
oh, and what wattage are the panels ?

I so apologize for the misspelling. “I’m” instead of “in” and victron
the max voltage you might ever see on a cold day would be around 85 Volts.. so the controller
is good.. any specific reason you are going 3S2P ?
oh, and what wattage are the panels ?
The panels are 12v.
As for the configuration, as I understand it higher voltage vs higher amperage is desired as long as it does not exceed the controller rating. Since the panels are just over 20Voc each setting 6 of them in series would put me at over 120V so I just decided to plug in half to make it match.
Do you think there is a better pattern?

I so apologize for the misspelling. “I’m” instead of “in” and victron

The panels are 12v.
As for the configuration, as I understand it higher voltage vs higher amperage is desired as long as it does not exceed the controller rating. Since the panels are just over 20Voc each setting 6 of them in series would put me at over 120V so I just decided to plug in half to make it match.
Do you think there is a better pattern?
higher voltage is more important on large arrays for fixed installations where lower currents are desired. RV is a different beast and depends on your camping style and location. IF you camp in national forests and expect shading then i would suggest parallel for maximum harvest. if you are camping in open spaces then 3S2P or 2S3P will work just fine.

I appreciate that info. I can see your point as parallel would be least affected by one panel being shaded. I think we are probably 50/50 on that but for the most part we end up with full sun from about 9am to 4 pm in the middle of the summer.

Do you have any opinion on using a dc to dc charger vs an isolator for the trailer to vehicle cable? I’m trying to justify the additional expense for the charger but am having trouble seeing any benefit over an isolator.

Well, it's all done!! This is the final wiring diagram showing the final install.Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 9.02.00 PM.png
Here is a few photos of the install. they were taken prior to the second battery installed:
IMG_6995.jpegIMG_7002.jpegIMG_7001.jpegIMG_6996.jpegIMG_6994.jpegIMG_6988.jpeg
Hope this helps someone in the future. let me know if anyone has any questions.

good job, however I would question the use of 1/0 for a 3000W inverter.
NEC tables show 1/0 at 170 Amps @ 90C.. at 3000 W you will be drawing close to 275 Amps !
275 comes from 3000 W divided by 12 Volts then multiplied by 90% efficiency.
at 2000 W your going to get hot.. just something to consider.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom