Out of date tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not one who lives under the fear of everything going bad if its not new or within suggested change date.
Not about fear, Dude. It's about taking steps to avoid having to deal with unexpected failures that were actually were quite predictable.

Funny thing, the tire up underneath is much older than 8 years and looks brand new with no signs of cracking
When I bought my previous TT the tires were old and cracking, but the spare had always been covered and looked fine. So,when I bought new tires,I only bought three and used the spare because it looked brand new.
The first time out after buying the new tires, the spare blew within 2 miles of getting on the freeway. Fortunately, no damage, and a lesson learned.

I am just saying people should be aware of potential consequences of their actions. There is a man I know, in fact I saw him today, a couple of years ago his sister who I may have met in passing a some point was in a car accident, she hit an elderly couple head on and killed the woman in the other car. The cause of the accident was that she had a seizure, it was not her first seizure, she had been diagnosed with them and put on medication about 4 months earlier, thought everything was fine since she was on medication, but no she has one while driving crosses the center divider and hits and kills someone. Medical guidelines say no driving until you have been seizure free for 6 months to a year, in some states that is the law, though not here.

Tires fail from the inside out (chemical reactions happen faster at higher pressures, a tire at 65 psi has about 4 times as much pressure inside as it does outside), I hope you have good insurance, because when one lets go it is common for them to do $5,000+ worth of body / wiring / plumbing damage to an RV.
And that's EXACTLY how it happened to us when I assumed that if our tires looked good outside, they'd be fine.

On a hot summer day driving at highway speeds on 8+ year-old Class A tires, the driver-side front tire blew on our Beaver Class A. Lesson learned - what they look like outside is only part of the story.

Damage was around $7K, blow-out shards came up through the inside flooring, and I got a lot of religion about tire age.

I recently spent nearly $10K to replace the tires on our subsequent Tiffin Bus. Pushing tire age limits is not worth it.

A quick search for 22.5" tires for a Class A came up with:

On average, you can expect to pay anywhere from $100 to $600 or more per tire.

Wow, that's quite a range or prices How does on decide on a "sweet spot" taking into consideration the balance between price & quality??

My personal approach was to pick a Japanese tire company (Sumitomo in my case), as the Japanese tend to have a cultural obsession about not taking shortcuts when it comes to safety in such things.

A quick search for 22.5" tires for a Class A came up with:

On average, you can expect to pay anywhere from $100 to $600 or more per tire.

Wow, that's quite a range or prices How does on decide on a "sweet spot" taking into consideration the balance between price & quality??
I would definitely pass on the $100.00 22.5" tire unless it's for a tree swing

My RAM 2500 has Michelin Defender LT tires on it, two with 2417 and one with 0118 dates on them. The last is much newer, I curbed the frt rh tire and it shaved a thin layer of rubber off of it. Nothing to affect function or even looks, but I moved it to the spare and put a new one on the front. That was in 2021 I think. The tires get used regular, but don't have a lot of milage on them, no more than 30K. In addition the truck is kept inside my shop when not in use, so the tires look excellent.

Charles

My RAM 2500 has Michelin Defender LT tires on it, two with 2417 and one with 0118 dates on them. The last is much newer, I curbed the frt rh tire and it shaved a thin layer of rubber off of it. Nothing to affect function or even looks, but I moved it to the spare and put a new one on the front. That was in 2021 I think. The tires get used regular, but don't have a lot of milage on them, no more than 30K. In addition the truck is kept inside my shop when not in use, so the tires look excellent.

Charles
Your truck also runs at well under its tire weight rating most of the time.

My personal approach was to pick a Japanese tire company (Sumitomo in my case), as the Japanese tend to have a cultural obsession about not taking shortcuts when it comes to safety in such things.
I am curious if you ever looked at where the Sumitomos you bought were made.

On my prior motorhome I changed out all 6 tires at 4 years old and 18K miles. Michelin junk that cracked and dry rotted from Michelin s error in rubber mix. For truckers full recall and replacement, RV'ers 1/2 off retail via rebate, so taxes paid on full price with rebate only on tire pricing. And, I believe Michelin RV tire warranty is 5 years not 7 as prior post stated. Went with Sumitomos as replacement, half the price and a better tire IMHO . Wouldn't recommend Michelin s to anyone.

My current rig I just switched out all six, front 2 last summer with Hankooks, and in Nov. 4 rear with again Sumitomos. Goodyear s I replaced were 10 yrs old, 45K miles and looked great still!

I hear what's being said about rotting inside our. That isn't my experience or info from the tire guys I've bought my tires from. Dry rot from the sun and driving and sitting with under inflated and poorly maintained tires causing sidewall and bead cracking and failure is the most common RV tire issues.

Of course if you hit curbs and run things over that may bust a steel belt, inside the tire, that's cause someone drives like crap and who knows when one of those could go .

Sumitomo is an international firm with a huge factory in Tonawanda (near Buffalo) NY. Plus factories in Japan and China and South Africa. Presumably they all manufacture to Sumitomo's corporate standards

And, the former brand is known to us all as Dunlop. The Buffalo Plant, actually Tonawanda, NY as Gary stated expanded employment once Sumitomo took over. That plant is their main factory for motorcycle tire production, the No. 1 motorcycle tire in the world. Great company, with great tires, and reasonable pricing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom