Pianist Camping in a Travel Trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am a musician (only do it as a hobby), however, I only play the piano. I usually have a portable digital piano (full 88 key full size weight keyboard with a pedal) I set up on an X stand underneath the awning and I play songs on it (I only do it during daylight and I keep the volume low). I wonder if anybody on here does something like this.

I've joined a few folks (I sing) one time it was a young lady on a piano in a "Gather space" at a mini mall..... Well we performed together for a good 15-20 minutes then the 17 jewels that dictate the rules (line from a song) said it was time to fly and to say good by (That's a watch for the youngsters who have never heard of a 17 Jewel movement) so we said our goodbys and turned around.
The gather space was packed in the manner of a can of sardines.. Guess the folks liked our performance.

Have met some folks in Campgrounds I can sing with as well but not often.
A book.. Very little sheet music and better for Guitar than Piano but lots of Lyrics

Rise Up Singing.

We use to travel with an 88 full size electric piano that we use to tinker around with. It did have ear phones, so it never bothered any other campers, day or night.

We ended up giving it to my Mother-in-law as she did pay the piano in her younger years and wanted to tinker around with a piano again but didn't want to spend any money on one though. Well, that was the end of the piano.

Fast forward about 20 years and now I carry an accordion and play that thing as often as I can. I do select my times to play carefully. As we usually are on the road for a month or more at a time, we are often in campgrounds in the middle of the week when attendance is very low. That's when I pull the thing out and have fun. On week ends... and especially if we have someone parked beside us, it stays put away.

Music is good for the soul! It's such a therapeutic tool when you make your own.

Best campground music story that I have was a visit to Assateague State park where a camper pulled out a set of bagpipes and played for a while. The tank top and use of a beach towel as a kilt completed the ensemble

I've often wondered about that? Are Kilts required to play bag pipes? And then.... there is always that nagging question...???? What are those guys REALLY wearing under those Kilts????? ;)

I have been a full timer for the last 20 years. I started in a van with a 61 key Casio as well as an electric guitar and a bass. Ten years ago I decided to park permanently in Florida. I upgraded from a class A to a 33 foot fifth wheel. I upgraded to a 88 note synth. i have a pair of Fender 20 watt amps on the floor next to my feet to amplify the synth and two 20 watt Fender amps amplifying my Chromebook to play along with. I also have a set of e-drums, a bunch of guitars and ukuleles. I never play outside, always inside. Neighbors get upset too easily. I have been playing with a ukulele group once a month. In December we march in the Xmas parade.

Had space in our MH bedroom over our slide "dresser" that had our bedroom escape window above. The "dresser" was low enough that could leave my my 64-key Yamaha there, plugged in all the time. I'd sing and wail all day and simply put in earphones at night.

Dragging the keyboard in and out would have been a pain - and most of the times we are in hot places and the A/C was enjoyable as I'd rock and croon.

Playing outdoors was for the guitar in our world - but if I'd have found OP I'd be tempted to grab the guitar and tambourine.

I've joined a few folks (I sing) one time it was a young lady on a piano in a "Gather space" at a mini mall..... Well we performed together for a good 15-20 minutes then the 17 jewels that dictate the rules (line from a song) said it was time to fly and to say good by (That's a watch for the youngsters who have never heard of a 17 Jewel movement) so we said our goodbys and turned around.
The gather space was packed in the manner of a can of sardines.. Guess the folks liked our performance.

Have met some folks in Campgrounds I can sing with as well but not often.
A book.. Very little sheet music and better for Guitar than Piano but lots of Lyrics

Rise Up Singing.
When we travel, the thing I miss most is singing! At home I sing with my church choir. I have tried re-learning guitar to accompany myself, but just couldn’t get into it well enough. Teachers want to teach me how to play solo guitar, and I don’t want that! I just wanted chores to sing with. I thought about taking an electronic keyboard (I do play piano), but it would take the space where I put my other hobbies. Sigh. I wish I could find sing alongs in campgrounds. I only seem to find jam sessions with only solo instrumentalists playing in turn.

Haven't seen much in traveling, but in seasonal space there is often a music night which I call performance jams. Musicians gather and play and folks come to listen. Interesting to hear the range of music. Where we are it ranges from old rock , country and bluegrass. One eighty lady plays stuff from the 20's. Usually solo. Songs many of the rest of us had never heard and with chord progressions that need practice to play. We encourage simpler songs so all can join in.Instruments usually guitars, banjos, mandolins, ukes, my dobro and less often, but still in there a keyboard. Our park it is a MOnday night standard.

When it's warm enough I will play guitar outside while the DW watches her game shows. I usually travel with at least two guitars but sometimes more.

This has led to some interesting jam sessions.

Best campground music story that I have was a visit to Assateague State park where a camper pulled out a set of bagpipes and played for a while. The tank top and use of a beach towel as a kilt completed the ensemble
Here's passed forum staffer Jim Dick wearing a kilt that Chris (my other half) made for Jim to play bagpipes while we were camped in Moab:

As kilt-wearing pipers will say: "There's nothing worn, it's all in working order" :)
My Presbyterian Church had a big Reformation Sunday service every year with a heavy Scottish influence. One of the city’s pipe and drum groups practiced in the church, and they always performed as a kind of “rent.” “Highland Cathedral” with pipes, drums, huge pipe organ, and a 50 voice choir was awe inspiring! I was in the choir, front of the church, higher than the pews by 10’ or so, and facing the congregation. The pipers were in the front row of pews, and we all know men seem incapable of keeping their legs closed. Turns out tan shorts (not boxers) were the order of the day. Of course maybe it was just because they were in church …

Reactions: Tom
Some neighbors might/will frown on music coming from an adjacent site. I've played/sung uke and guitar on our (owned) site in WY; Neighbors usually tell others that they are 'serenaded'. We've had a number of visiting campers come to our site to play/sing. We regularly had a tuba player join us.

Founder members of our uke band, also RVers, used to ask (at the office) if there was an issue. If OK, they'd play their ukes around the campfire, and folks would come out of the woodwork.

Attachments

• IMG_1588.JPG
    IMG_1588.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Tuba_uke night.png
    Tuba_uke night.png
    787.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
When it's warm enough I will play guitar outside while the DW watches her game shows. I usually travel with at least two guitars but sometimes more.

This has led to some interesting jam sessions.
Like the pic of your goldens, are they sisters?

Not sisters. But the one on the bottom is a great aunt of the puppy on top.

There are 4 other Goldens that we know of in our neighborhood that are related to these two.

Back
Top Bottom