Pig Butchering - Internet Scams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skookum

Something to be aware of, and watch out for... Basically, scammers get to know you by chatting or messaging. Even if they don't ask you for money, they may chat with or try to befriend you. Ultimately it's a scam to take your money. These don't look like typical Nigerian Prince emails or Gates promising you $1M if you forward his email chain. You might chat with people in a car group, or RV forum, or somewhere else you like to hang out online...

These scammers may tell you about a service or an app that has helped them make extra money on the side. There may be a completely legitimate-looking app or website. People fall for this, and they invest real money. In the app, it shows them their investments are growing and doing well over time, and that's a trigger to get them to invest more. And then, they try to cash out or move money and realize it was all a front, and they'll never recover that money. Be aware of it, warn your friends. Seniors are very susceptible as are many other groups. Stay safe out there!

It's truly amazing how often you hear about people being taken by scammers, these days.
As long as people are looking to get something for nothing, they'll far too often end up getting taken, instead.

Anyone that contacts you, phone, letter, email, sms, etc. must be considered a scam UNLESS you initiated the contact through your known good contact pathway.

I get a ton of incomplete phone message from my old central office code (the middle three digits). The scam is that people will think it's a neighbor or store down the street. Oftentimes there is a name associated - however, calling that number always reveals some poor soul that's had their number spoofed. So, any from my old central office get ignored.

And, of course, e-mails and sms are just as bad - thank goodness I've figured out how to have my systems automatically block spam and scam...

Lately I have been getting a rash of scam texts. Some come with a link and others want a reply. Recently I got 2 different texts claiming to be Amazon in need of more address information and supplying a link to go to, that I didn't use. We live in a gated community and occasionally Amazon drivers do ask for help but they simply call my cell phone and I give them directions.

@Skookum

How did they get the name pig butchering?

Farmers feed and care for pigs so they can slaughter them. In this context, a scammer cultivates a relationship and gains trust with the intent of stealing that person's money.

It's truly amazing how often you hear about people being taken by scammers, these days.
As long as people are looking to get something for nothing, they'll far too often end up getting taken, instead.
I agree, it's not like this information to be wary of scammers hasn't been out there for decades. And yet there are millions of people who fall for one scheme or another every year.

My 94-year-old mother will be in her kitchen and the phone in the living room will ring but she doesn't make it fast enough to answer. So what does she do? She calls the number back. I have told her 100 times to stop doing that but she just asks, "What if it's important, like a doctor's office?" I tell her, "If it's a real call from a professional they will leave a message, tell you who they are, and leave a number...always."

She says, "Not everyone wants to talk to a machine." I tell her, "No, you don't want to talk to a machine. Anyone from a doctor's office will." And she still calls the number back.

Lately I have been getting a rash of scam texts. Some come with a link and others want a reply. Recently I got 2 different texts claiming to be Amazon in need of more address information and supplying a link to go to, that I didn't use. We live in a gated community and occasionally Amazon drivers do ask for help but they simply call my cell phone and I give them directions.
I like those... I don't live in a gated community but... We have our own Amazon Hub.

They turn anything eatable into ham and bacon, they are omnivorous. A hundred years ago it was a good way to dispose of bodies resulting from gang killings.
If it was a good way 100 years ago, chances are it's a good way today.
Or tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom