Potable Water before boondocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We camped at Great Basin National Park this summer at a campground. All of the water spigots were off. They still charged full price. There were plenty of tent campers without water due to they didn't bring along enough or any.

Our TT has a 100 gallon fresh water tank plus a 10 gallon water heater. 9,995 GVWR and 6,147 dry. The water adds up to over 900 pounds. We have a 10% Rocky Mountain grade within 2 miles of our home and another getting to I-70 eastbound within 8 miles. The nearest one is steepest right at the bottom, but then it's another 21 miles of all up grades with over 1 mile in elevation gain to the summit.

Coming down is much more of a concern. Truck training schools use it with their Jake brakes coming down. That's a big advantage of diesel versus our gas TV 6.4L with 4.10-1 axle gear ratios. It's on the sharp steep corners that I can feel the water weight sloshing.

Just blew last week our transmission for the 4th time within a year on a Rocky Mountain steep grade while towing with a full fresh water tank within 5 hours of being repaired. Lost the 4th and above gears due to a hydraulic high pressure failure. Hasn't happened when empty. Hopefully, it gets fixed this time. Cross our fingers.
I haven't been able to test mine with a trailer with electric brakes yet, but I have pulled my utility trailer a few time maxed out with 3000# of cement bags. I experimented with the Electronic Range Select (ERS) system. There are a couple pretty steep hills between the city and my place, and I just set it in 4th gear and let it do it's thing. It actually works better if I put it in 4th gear, then set the cruise control to about 40 MPH. The engine and transmission do their thing and act just like a jake brake on a diesel engine. It was actually quite impressive.

We stayed at one COE campground in Arkansas a few years ago with power at the site, but that shared a single water connection between 2 sites, with the layout of our side and the one next to it being around a curve the water faucet turned out to be nearly 75 feet from our water inlet on the passenger side of our coach. Thankfully at the time we were carrying a 10 ft hose, a 25 ft hose ,and an older 50 ft hose, which combined was just enough though we did have to fish it under the coach to get it to reach, vs running around behind the rear axle.

I see I have options to find dump stations and such as we travel about.
Finding potable water seems to be a bit more of a search.
I don't like traveling with full tanks for weight and gas mileage reasons. I will have some.
So, any tips or tricks on finding potable water locations near your destinations?

Dan
Easy answer is go to Free Camping Near You | Go Camping for Free! type in the name of the town, go up to "FILTERS" at the top of the map, look down to "AMENITIES" and select the box that says "DRINKING WATER". Look for a freebie park or a cheap public park.

Remember, just because the water is safe to drink (designated as "DRINKING WATER" or "POTABLE WATER"), doesn't mean it tastes good.

Me? I bleach the "potable water tank" in the truck camper fairly often. The water we use in it is clean enough to flush the toilet, wash hands, dishes and ourselves. We never ingest it. We only drink and cook with RO water, including the dog's drinking water. I built a POI list of RO water fill stations covering 10 states with verified GPS locations). I loaded it into Google My Maps and use it as part of my main base map that I plan trips on. I have 3 gallon jugs that I fill with RO water. You can find many of the RO fill station stations by going to the company websites and looking (I used Twice the Ice, Watermill Express and Primo). Many of the locations are wrong. This is when I pulled up Google Maps on Sat view and searched all over the towns trying to find the fill stations. Of course Primo is in front of a lot of Grocery stores (and is currently 10 cents per gallon higher than Twice the Ice and Windmill Express water locally). Primo claims their water is be sold at Lowes and Home Depot but, locally, that is not true. Nor can I determine if it is true anywhere. The machines are not out front according to Google Maps and there are no store level SKU codes for water on their websites.

www.twicetheice.com (not all machines sell water, the two that are in my current town do and I get water from them most of the time)
Watermill Express – Pure Drinking Water and Ice (not all machines sell ice, there are several in my town, just not in the places I go, If there is a problem with a TTI machine, this is where I get water))
Purified Bulk Water & Water Dispensers | Primo Water (from what I can tell, Primo only sells water, sometimes the machines are labeled "Glacier")

The result of this practice is that I am not terribly picky about the water, I will, and have, fill up at most any spigot, including one at the side of a restaurant (Cracker Barrel), hardware store (Lowes garden dept) and gas station/convenience store (Stripes?) after asking permission. I can put "garden hose" water in, add the required amount of bleach to purify the water ( 3-3/4 TSP regular bleach for a 30 gallon fresh tank according to the EPA guidelines of 1/4 TSP per 2 gallons water) by putting the bleach into a long necked clean wine bottle (saved for this use and labeled with "1/4 TSP Bleach per 2 GAL water"... a silicone cap keeps the inside of the bottle dust free between uses), filling it with water from the fresh tank and then pouring the water thru the gravity fill BEFORE filling the tank. This flushes the bleachy water out of the fill line and down into the tank. The water does tend to have a slight chlorine smell for a day or two. No worse than some city water sources.

The truck camper has a 3 gallon square water jug with a manual pump (both came from Walmart) for drinking water. We generally keep a gallon or two in the jug unless we will be traveling, then we fill it. For "home" use, we have 5 of the 3 gallon jugs and a USB/battery powered electric pump. It's the 2nd electric pump as the first one stopped working. I bought the manual pump to fill in while we waited on the 2nd electric pump to come in (it was during COVID when everything was hard to get). The electric pump is nice until it doesn't work.

When the camper tank water smells "old", I use the same amount of bleach to "freshen" the tank water. We leave the truck camper on the truck year round and use it when going grocery shopping and taking the dog to the town's dog park. Finding a clean public bathroom is very difficult and the camper makes a good place to leave the dog while we do our shopping. In town, the truck with the camper on it gets the same mpg as the 4WD Jeep.

I always travel with my tanks full and a 55 gallon blue barrel in bed of my truck pump in trailer or gravity feed. If I'm out sight seeing I keep my eyes open for place to refill the barrel.

Back
Top Bottom