Recommended handheld radios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lou Schneider said:
... Ham radios can transmit over virtually unlimited frequencies, including those used by public safety and commercial users. ...

This is not correct: amateur radio operations are limited to specific frequencies. There are further restrictions based on license class, and still more limitations on power output and modes of operation on certain bands. Frequency coordinators approve repeater system installation and operations.

Amateur radio is an excellent example of efficient spectrum management.

scottydl said:
Is this sarcasm?  (I honestly cannot tell.)

I asked my question because it really doesn't seem like problems would result from limited public use of certain radio waves.  I say "limited" since radio communication (by voice, i.e. Handheld or console radios) is fairly rare these days.  I can't imagine any particular kind of chaos ensuing.

Perhaps you don't recall the early CB band, right after the FCC dropped licensing requirements (but not tech standards, such as max power out, etc.). Unrestricted use with more than a watt or so, and especially if it also allows more efficient (and even remote) antennas, can be a problem over more than a few hundred feet. Even today, CB can be chaotic, at times, though the long antennas required still don't give portability quite as easily as the FRS.

Lou pretty much has it right above, except that what Happy points out is a statement that, while it is often technically correct, certainly needed clarification, since many ham radios are CAPABLE of transmitting well beyond the ham bands, but there are many legal restrictions on hams as Happy points out, including the specific frequency ranges on which they are allowed to operate and what type of transmission is allowed (AM, FM, sideband, CW, digital, etc.) in any particular band segment, even how much power a license type and/or freq band allows.

Note, too, that amateur radio is a "radio service" that specifically allows experimentation on any of its allocated freqs (some of which are secondary allocations), and has very specific requirements about what may be transmitted (i.e. no music, no "commercial" traffic, restrictions on 3rd party operations, and much more).

But, as Lou so carefully points out, the big reason is to maintain some semblance of order and usability on the various spectrum segments.

And even FRS has specific rules that must be followed, though I suspect that few know much about that.

HappyWanderer said:
This is not correct: amateur radio operations are limited to specific frequencies. There are further restrictions based on license class, and still more limitations on power output and modes of operation on certain bands. Frequency coordinators approve repeater system installation and operations.

Amateur radio is an excellent example of efficient spectrum management.

Absolutely, ham radio is limited to specific frequencies but it depends on the knowledge and skill of the radio operator to stay within those boundaries.  There's nothing specific in a modified or home-built ham radio (which is allowed by a ham license) that guarantees it stays within the ham bands.  That is the responsibility of the operator.

Even a Baofeng UV5R can transmit and receive far outside the amateur frequencies ... which is why you need a ham license to legally use it.

Putting the legalities aside...
If scottydl bought the BaoFeng radios and thumbed his nose at the license, and knowing how he would be using the radios, would anyone here think any less of him? Does it really matter? I mean, who really cares?

Again, I'm not against the rules. But heck, I still have an old Palomar 300A modulator around the house somewhere from the old CB days. As well as 2 or 3 mobile linear amps I used to use. It was nothing to pump up an old CB, clip the modulation limiter, add a couple hundred watts and talk away. And everyone knows how rude and crude the 11 meter band can be! Did I mention that I still have a couple modified 10 meter radios that work on 11 meter too? OH NO! The FCC police are going to get me!  :eek: ;)

My point is if I were in scottydl's shoes, I wouldn't worry about it. Get the radios he wants and teach the kids to respect the use of them. 

Larry N. said:
Perhaps you don't recall the early CB band, right after the FCC dropped licensing requirements (but not tech standards, such as max power out, etc.).

I don't, because I was probably an infant around that time.  Born in 1977.  ;)  Which is mostly the reason why I (probably) have little understanding of this issue, because I grew up a bit after the heyday of the CB craze.

denmarc said:
Putting the legalities aside...
If scottydl bought the BaoFeng radios and thumbed his nose at the license, and knowing how he would be using the radios, would anyone here think any less of him? Does it really matter? I mean, who really cares?

Again, I'm not against the rules...

That kinda sums up my wonderings too... I have a much better understanding of the licensing requirements now from this thread, but my usage would pretty limited to rural camping areas with the two radios less than a mile apart.  A few times per year at that.  But I do consider myself a "rule follower" by nature, and I'll pay for the GMRS licensing privilege IF there is any advantage to using that type of radio for my purposes.  Otherwise I'll just buy some new FRS radios.  (I have a cheap set now that I've used for camping, but they don't transmit too well anymore which is what led me to start shopping.)

One thing to keep in mind on this topic there is a certain class of mostly HAM radio operators that live for going around and turning people in who are "misusing" FRS and GMRS radios.  For example FRS radios are licensed for personal use only, it is a license violation to use them for business purposes, even though lots of people do it.  I know around here they are often used by contractor road work crews for example.  This is where the above mentioned people come into play they love going around catching people who are technically in violation of the license and turn them into the FCC. 

I know of a case where this happened to a vendor at a flea market, the guy had a side business selling stuff, but also wanted to roam the flea market in search of stuff and so had the people manning his table call him over the FRS radio if he was needed at the table, this is until one of these self elected mattress police HAM operators turned him into the police officers who were working the festival and made a big stink over his misuse of FRS spectrum.

Isaac-1 said:
I know of a case where this happened to a vendor at a flea market, the guy had a side business selling stuff, but also wanted to roam the flea market in search of stuff and so had the people manning his table call him over the FRS radio if he was needed at the table, this is until one of these self elected mattress police HAM operators turned him into the police officers who were working the festival and made a big stink over his misuse of FRS spectrum.

I would be shocked if the cops spent more than 30 seconds investigating.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom