Recumbent ETrikes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
My DW and I have purchased recumbent ETrikes and really like them. They are recumbents which mean the pedals are out in front. They are very comfortable to ride and very stable because we are so low to the ground.
The one issue my DW has because she is so short is that her feet have the tendency to fall off the pedals. It hasn’t happened yet but I’m affrat it could. If her foot does come off, it could go under the trike. I have the seat adjusted perfectly but I’m still concerned. On a standard bike, the weight of the feet and legs sit in the pedals if you are coasting. On a recumbent trike, you have to keep pressure against the pedals so your feet don’t fall off. The pedals do have pointed thingies which help to reduce the chances of your feet sliding off but I’m still concerned they’re not enough.
Does anyone know if they sell some type of sturrip (spelling ??) that would attach to the pedal and the back of her foot would rest in it. They have them for the front of the foot but I can’t find anything for the back/heel. Thanks.

Last edited:
Yeah Rene, try "Utah Trikes" they have several full support pedals with heel cups. Some replace the pedal and others attach to the existing pedal. UtahTrikes

This looks promising. Need to change the bikes pedals.

Jennifer

Reactions: SMR
This looks promising. Need to change the bikes pedals.

Jennifer
Thanks for that ferfer. The problem is many times we have to stop and may need to back up just a foot or so for whatever reason and it would be a real PITA to disconnect your feet from this devise. Surely there has to be something out there that your heal just rests in with no straps. Maybe it’s time to invent something.

Thanks for that ferfer. The problem is many times we have to stop and may need to back up just a foot or so for whatever reason and it would be a real PITA to disconnect your feet from this devise. Surely there has to be something out there that your heal just rests in with no straps. Maybe it’s time to invent something.
Just order the platform and ditch the straps.

Rene, assuming pedals would physically fit, why could you just not use (eliminate) the heel strap. Need to verify but from picture it looks like the heel strap is deep enough to secure her heel to prevent falling. TerraTrike also says the pedal is counterbalance on the bottom to keep heel down orientation.

LOL Remember evaluation is based knowing nothing about recumbent ETrikes:D

Jennifer

No they are only if a person can’t reach the pedals. She has no problem reaching them. It’s what can she use to keep her feet from sliding off the pedals. Remember, on a recumbent trike, we sit low to the ground and the pedals are in front of us. If we hit something (hope we don’t) with the trike, the pedals would hit first., I hope that explains it better.
And the solution ferfer provided cost $145.00. I may have to bite the bullet if I can’t find what I’m looking for

Last edited:
SMR, I just edited my previous post. Here is a picture of her on her trike.

Attachments

• IMG_1020.jpeg
    IMG_1020.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1019.jpeg
    IMG_1019.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1010.jpeg
    IMG_1010.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 7
You might want to take a look at the clip ins that real bikes use. Once you get used to them they're better and safer than any rat trap pedal. You will also need the matching shoes.

They're called clipless pedals, because the old style pedals had what were called "toe clips", the three problems she'd have is learning how to unclip in a hurry and the road bike shoes can be tricky to walk in ( some mtn bike types are better for walking) and selecting the proper type cleat for the shoe, not enough float ( that's the degree to which the foot pivots on the pedal) and knee problems can develop.

They're called clipless pedals, because the old style pedals had what were called "toe clips", the three problems she'd have is learning how to unclip in a hurry and the road bike shoes can be tricky to walk in ( some mtn bike types are better for walking) and selecting the proper type cleat for the shoe, not enough float ( that's the degree to which the foot pivots on the pedal) and knee problems can develop.
I had already decided I would never use those. Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom