Replaced our toad, need aux brake opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laura & Charles

Could be anywhere. Originally from Ohio. Go Bucks!
Our first toad had an RVi 2. It was fine, but we were moving every 2-5 weeks and installing/removing it with each move was getting old. Our second toad had Demco Stay-IN-Play duo system installed and we absolutely loved the upgrade. At the time we had that installed, we were still in our starter coach with its hydraulic brakes. Now we have this DP with the air chuck at the rear available for aux brake duty.

My plan was to just go with the same (Stay-IN-Play) system but reading the hookup procedure in the owner’s manual of the new toad, it says to completely disconnect the battery… that the car’s electric parking brake may automatically apply if the car is moving over a certain (low) speed and engine not running. On our old toad, we fed charging voltage to it from the coach, so even disconnecting the battery, we could still have a 12 volt supply available that route.

Now that brings us to my decision: Stay-IN-Play duo vs Air Force One. Both made by Demco and are about the same price. (NOTE: the entire Aux brake system stayed in the old toad, so not a factor.) Is having the aux braking system air powered inherently better or safer? It would be one more thing to hookup outside, but that’s all I know about the differences.

Edit: I just realized, if we disconnect the battery, won’t we lose the breakaway function. Am I going to have to install a motorcycle battery or something?

Last edited:
If you disconnect the battery from the car system, you will probably want to hardwire an auxiliary power outlet to the battery for breakaway or whatever the aux brake system needs. You only have to disconnect the car's own systems, not others uses of battery power. Using a secondary battery is an alternative, but they you have to deal with occasional recharging.

Thanks @Gary RV_Wizard ! Do you see any great advantage either of the Demco systems in consideration (Stay-IN-Play duo vs Air Force One)? I’m leaning toward the latter.. the literature online says it has a reserve air supply for the breakaway circuit so I shouldn’t have to deal with anything regarding having the battery disconnected.

Edit> This our third toad. Hooking up the first two was very similar. This third one is very different.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom