Rockwood Roo 21SS / Toyota 4Runner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

THP

We are considering a 2022 Rockwood Roo 21SS. I'd like to pull it with a Toyota 4Runner. Toyota's pull capacity listed on the 4Runner is 5,000 lbs. The Roo, without cargo, is rated at 5,054 lbs. Does anyone have experience with this setup, or similar trailer weight and a 4Runner? Advice please!

Length, closed (its a hybrid with fold outs) 22 ft 8 inches.
Dry Weight
5,095 lbs.
Payload Capacity
1,461 lbs.
That makes the GVWR 6556
You have a potential tongue weight of 850 lbs, which I suspect is way above the vehicles limit for trailer tongue weight, plus add 100 lbs for a weight distributing hitch. No, it would be the tail wagging the dog, and a good way to burn up the transmission.

Charles

I agree, that is too much trailer / weight. With a 4 runner, you need to be thinking pop-up trailer, many nice ones out there.

Unfortunately you need a bigger tow vehicle or a lighter trailer.

Even if you go lighter you need to consider how far you plan to tow. I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5K limit. I would periodically tow right up to 5000# but only locally on surface type roads. Even at that acceleration was slow and deceleration was "planned."

Long tows at MGW will severely try the tow vehicle. There are a few well known members here towing teardrop class trailers with sedans. To me teardrops and somewhat pop up trailers are the next step up from tent camping.

My 2022 Tacoma is rated for 6200lbs. I pull a TT with 4700lb GVW with 3700lb dry weight. Towing is comfortable but I wouldn't go heavier. A 4runner would have a little advantage in aerodynamics. I would suggest looking at something with a GVW around 3500 or a more capable TV

Thank you for your input. We are obviously reconsidering. Trade up to a heavier TV and/or looking at lighter weight TT.
Then the dilemma begins. If I trade up TV, hmmm, I can reconsider size of TT. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Good luck, glad you are doing your homework, many don't.

Thank you for your input. We are obviously reconsidering. Trade up to a heavier TV and/or looking at lighter weight TT.

It's a tough choice but at the end of the day you will likely be better off upgrading the TV.

If you go smaller on the TT you may always feel like you had to compromise on interior layout, space, etc. 5 days of rain in a too small for comfort TT is not fun.

I am guessing there is a lot of value in your 4Runner - I had one and they are great. My recent purchase was a 1500 Ram with an 8600# tow capacity. It was part of a longer plan to buy a 24-26 TT and get rid of my class A.

Having the tow vehicle allows me to look for the TT I want without hitting a tow limit I can't live with.

We are considering a 2022 Rockwood Roo 21SS. I'd like to pull it with a Toyota 4Runner. Toyota's pull capacity listed on the 4Runner is 5,000 lbs. The Roo, without cargo, is rated at 5,054 lbs. Does anyone have experience with this setup, or similar trailer weight and a 4Runner? Advice please!
I have never seen a vehicle that listed the towing capacity on the pillar sticker. Where did you come up with the 5000# tow cap?

I have never seen a vehicle that listed the towing capacity on the pillar sticker. Where did you come up with the 5000# tow cap?
It’s the towing capacity for that vehicle on any spec listing. Oddly enough both the 4 and 6 cyl. are 5k. 4 runners are relatively light as well 6.5k would overwhelm it in a hurry.

It’s the towing capacity for that vehicle on any spec listing. Oddly enough both the 4 and 6 cyl. are 5k. 4 runners are relatively light as well 6.5k would overwhelm it in a hurry.
The way the OP worded it, "Toyota's pull capacity listed on the 4Runner is 5,000 lbs.", made me think they got it off the vehicle.

But you're right, and of course it depends on the engine, but with the 4Runner's GVWR of less than 6000# trying to tow anything above about 4000# would not be fun. This is exactly the reason I got the truck I did this year. With max tow capacity, I'm not concerned about the weight any TT I may choose to purchase as it would be difficult to find one in the size range I want that would even come close to 3/4 of my max.

4runners keep value. I bought a 2014 lease return in 2017. When I traded it in for my new 2022 Tacoma they gave me 5000 less than what I paid for it. That computes to less than 100 per month. I couldn't have leased a Corolla for that.

I tried a major on line car dealer to sell my last car. They gave me 35% more than the dealer was offering as a trade for its replacement. Log in, enter data, they show up with a flat bed and a check

Op, I can speak to this. We had a Winnebago micro Minnie 2108DS. Weighed about 4500 with junk in it. We didn’t travel with full tanks. Wife has a 2016 Limited 4wd Runner. We used an Equalizer hitch and a good smart brake box. For starters, we live in Houston Texas which is very flat. We towed the Winnebago five times maybe 100 miles in each direction. Mostly flat or a few gentle Rollinghills. With a good hitch, it did it and was stable and was not scary. Had to drop down one gear in the transmission to pull it Sport mode. Gas mileage sucked. Cruising speed on the highway was around 60 mph. I would not have wanted to have done it in big Hills. The stability was there and the stopping power and the combination felt very unitized and safe. Never had any issues with wind Or sway. It was grossly underpowered in my opinion For major hauling but local was fine. Again, 60 mph was about all that it wanted. I have a Dodge mega 2500 Cummins. We usually pulled it behind my truck using a standard hitch and no weight distribution. My Dodge would literally pull it faster than anybody ever wanted to run. I usually set the cruise control on about 70. My truck literally did not know it was back there. The forerunner could’ve never achieved 70 and even if it could have, I would not have been comfortable there. If you are doing relatively short pulls and live in a relatively flat area, the forerunner will work for this size of travel trailer. if, however, you want to travel hundreds of miles in any given direction and encounter hills in that type of thing, I would not recommend it. Very big difference between South Texas, Florida and Colorado. two of them are slow and boring and the other one would be perfectly terrifying. By the way, the Winnebago 2108 was the perfect camper for us to start with. We loved it for two years. We ended up in a fifth wheel. Lol

I am certain this has been covered already but a friend did the exact thing you are thinking about and the minute he hit the first hill, he traded the Four Runner in on a Ram 1500 to tow the camper he had and his was 4500 lbs.
You have to consider the occupants in the vehicle and all your payload for both the FR and the camper and all should be well under the tow limit.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom