RV hookup at home construction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pressthestarkey

We live in Nashville TN and want to install full hookups at the back of our property to keep our Oliver. I want a pad, water, electric and sewer. Anyone know of the steps I need to take or of a contractor in the area I can partner with to accomplish? I'm not a do it yourself kind of gal. Thanks

First, check with local ordinances if you can do what you want to do, especially if you live in the city of Nashville.

Where is your sewer cleanout located? The easiest is to use that for the waste dump. Water is never a problem as there are usually lots of spiggots on the outside you can connect to. Power might be an issue, but unless you insist on a full 30A a 20A extension cord should be more that sufficient for everything except AC.

I agree to check with zoning dept at town hall first. It may be considered a second dwelling on the property which may not be permitted. If it is considered a second dwelling unit, there also may be an issue with piggy-backing on the sanitary sewer service pipe. If that is not allowed, now you may have a new sewer connection going all the way to the sewer main in the street and a sewer connection fee. Water supply generally doesn't have the restrictions of sanitary sewer.

A little background...I am a municipal engineer in NJ, one of the most regulated states in the country

Generally you can run a water pipe, run a sewer pipe and run an electrical supply on your own property. This is the "sneakaboard" way to do it.

However if someone occupies the RV as a residence you can run across all kinds of barriers and problems if you get caught.

Over the last year I developed a property here. I applied for an RV occupancy and a mobile home permit. When they inspected the septic, they calculated that the septic would not support "2" residences so I dropped the RV permit side of things.

I did however already install the water, power and septic plumbing. Where I am it is totally legit to do that. The thing I can't do is have someone legally occupy the RV full time. The inspector said it would be OK for occasional dumping, that's my business.

I am on 5 acres in a rural area. If I put my kid in the RV for a month or two no one will be the wiser.

If you are not a do-it-yourselfer any general contractor should be able to sort it all out for you.

The pad cost will be fixed and the cost will depend totally on the type of pad you want and whether you want it covered.

The power, water and sewer will be variable depending on how far the pad will be from the main house distribution panel, which nearby is where the water and sewer will likely need to run from.

Last thought is that if it is a long way the sewer pipe grading may be an issue. A 200 foot run on a pipe that is used infrequently may be prone to drying sewerage and clogging. It's hard to ensure there is enough "flushing" to drive the waste all the way to the city sewer hook up or the septic tank if that's what you have.

With a 200 foot run you would be likely needing a 24 inch drop on the sewer pipe. That is the RV end needs to be 2 feet higher than the sewer end. If it is not possible or it's uphill you are sunk as it gets very complicated and you will need a tank in the ground near the RV, a macerator pump to pump it uphill to the sewer.

I put my RV pad about 50-60 foot from the house, right adjacent to the property's main power panel where there is also a hose bib. The sewer runs downhill about 40 feet to a tee in the septic tank drop in.

Last edited:
I had an electrician run electric from my house to an rv-style pedestal (50/30/20 amp) to keep my rig plugged in all the time. I'm near an outdoor faucet on the house, but no sewer. However there is a sewer access in my front yard where I can dump if needed. So there are varying solutions, and take careful note of many comments above about permits/legality, etc. to keep yourself out of trouble.

But contractors can generally set up what you need.

As mentioned…….local ordinances determine what you can do.

It’s not difficult to design……imagine a quality rv park! As you mentioned that you’re not a “do it yourself ‘er”, with your design and your contractor’s skills and equipment …..it should be easy!

In designing it…..think of the largest rv that may potentially use it! The small money you spend now can enhance your property values, should you sell! memtb

I agree to check with zoning dept at town hall first.
Whatever city you are in or if outside of the city limits then the county comes into play. If in the city proper you most likely will need a building permit and there may also be inspections involved to comply with the city codes. If you take the sneaking approach suggested above and are found out you will most likely be subject to fines and could even be required to pay a fine and pay to have everything removed. If you live on an acreage I would expect to have less issues than if you are on just a typical city lot but even then I think most communities would have some provisions for what you wish to do at east for the pad and the electrical connection. My son did that in a suburb of Dallas and his neighborhood has an HOA that requires the RV to be hidden from the street. A tall privacy fence or screening shrubbery was required. When it comes to sewer and water connections you will probably be find to run a line from the house but it is possible that if both are supplied by the city utility companies there might be restrictions there too. You should be able to learn everything you need from either the city clerk or city engineer's office.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlie13
Back
Top Bottom