Showed the dealer a thing or two!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They would need to do that separately for each truck coming off the line as tow cap is dictated by engine displacement, rear axle ratio, GVWR, and GCVWR.
Yes and they do that. Federal weight placard requires that CCC be calculated for each vehicle and that requires an accurate curb weight. Also, the GVWR is configuration dependent, so that is established from each vehicles build specs as well.

Yes and they do that. Federal weight placard requires that CCC be calculated for each vehicle and that requires an accurate curb weight. Also, the GVWR is configuration dependent, so that is established from each vehicles build specs as well.
True, but CCC and GVWR tell you nothing about towing capacity. Apparently, GM puts all the numbers on the sticker now.

A lot of dealer/owners don't have any experience using what they sell either. Getting advice on most products from the salespeople is like asking a wolf to guard your sheep. The commission system is designed to reward workers for getting the most money for the cheapest products.
I've experienced this very thing in Rvs and vehicles as well.

Not sure about RV sales, but most car dealerships have two rungs of sales staff. A few who have managed to stay around awhile, are good at it and the rest. My dad who owned a string of Real Estate brokerages always said 10% of the sales people make 90% of the money. Car dealers rely in large part on young and dumb wannabes with stars in their eyes who hire on and in the first month or so sell a car to their brother, sister, mom and aunt before realizing they aren’t any good at it and are on the draw for a few weeks before the dealer kicks them to the curb. They only thing they may learn is how to turn the radio on and how to take the worksheet to the sales mgr. so he can refigure the four square and make it look like you aren’t buying your own trade.

Last edited:
True, but CCC and GVWR tell you nothing about towing capacity. Apparently, GM puts all the numbers on the sticker now.
I was responding to your point about requiring unique weight measurements & labels for each & every truck. That's not new - it has been a requirement since the revised federal placard standards went into effect June 2, 2008.

And I'll beg to differ concerning the importance of GCWR to towing capacity.

I was responding to your point about requiring unique weight measurements & labels for each & every truck. That's not new - it has been a requirement since the revised federal placard standards went into effect June 2, 2008.

And I'll beg to differ concerning the importance of GCWR to towing capacity.
I agree that this is probably the most important number. But neither your comment nor my reply to it mentioned anything about GCWR.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom