Slide out/circuit breaker issue help!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JayT54

Hey guys so I have a 2012 forest river trace I was having some issues with slide going in and out and was going to work on the cables to get them nice and smooth, however what has since happened is something has popped or not working properly as there is no power to the slide at all and all I hear is this clicking noise so I looked under by the tongue and it sounds like it was coming from the circuit breaker, what’s happening is every 15-30 seconds it just randomly clicks and you can see the one wire jump that goes to the interior of trailer from that breaker I’m assuming it’s for the slide out and then I noticed the wire was also jumping on the neutral on the battery, so Idunno what to think here is a pic of the circuit break and I’m wondering is there any type of oil or something in these breakers as I noticed a type of red oil on the terminals that were the circuit breaker, any help would be gladly appreciated

Attachments

• DBB1B019-B02C-4CB7-8336-CDF25C7E2C13.jpeg
    DBB1B019-B02C-4CB7-8336-CDF25C7E2C13.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 5
Oh and also right now when I press the buttons for both slides now there is nothing no power at all for either one, when the back one always worked fine

and you can see the one wire jump that goes to the interior of trailer from that breaker I’m assuming it’s for the slide out and then I noticed the wire was also jumping on the neutral on the battery,
What does "jumping" mean? Are you seeing a spark jump, or is the wire physically moving somehow?

It seems pretty clear your trailer has a short circuit and the automatic reset breaker keeps opening and then resetting. Start tracing the wires to find the short.

Some larger breakers have oil inside to quench potential sparking, but I doubt if that one does. The red may be an anti-corrosion coating.

That's not a good sign. I'm guessing a direct short, such that the breaker instantly slams open with enough force to make the wire move? Or worse, the wire is thrashing around as a spark jumps at the point of contact to the trailer frame.

No. The circuit breaker is just doing its job, stopping power so the short circuit doesn't cause a fire. You need to troubleshoot the wiring to find the short.

I have a 2012 forest river trace I was having some issues with slide going in and out and was going to work on the cables to get them nice and smooth...
I suspect that as you messed with the cables, sorry, "was going to..." mess with the cables and now one of the wires got pinched. As mentioned, the CB is doing its job and YOU have to trace it down, not start another thread.

I suspect that as you messed with the cables, sorry, "was going to..." mess with the cables and now one of the wires got pinched. As mentioned, the CB is doing its job and YOU have to trace it down, not start another thread.
I can start as many threads as I want! The cables have nothing to do with the electrical system they are completely separate

I can start as many threads as I want!
Even if from Ontario you should to follow the rules...
  • Unacceptable Messages
    The following types of message are NOT permitted in the forum:

• Duplicate messages across the forum. In other words, posting the same message in more than one of our message boards.

Reactions: SMR
So what the wire would be damaged?
The wire is already damaged, or at least disconnected. It is touching a ground and the electric current (amps) are flowing back to the battery via the trailer frame rather than to the slide motor.

I will repeat: the circuit breaker is not the problem.

I would first look under the slide where all the power comes into the slide. It may be just a pinched wire under there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom