Starlink showing up in campsites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks to me like if you work remotely or for any other reason have to be connected to the internet, Starlink is an option you should have, even though I have heard of times and places where Starlink is not reliable. If we had Starlink we would be in Quartzsite for the next two weeks.

During the day we have been running 90-110 down and 25-60 up (lots of variation). In the evening it has gone from 5-8 down to dropping out completely. We did have storms the last two evenings, so that might have affected it, but it was too poor to stream anything the last two evenings.

We live remote and are on Starlink. Got to do the same with the TT's. I like the way that snow doesn't stick to it. It seems to be fast, except between 9 AM and 4 PM everyday when our local ski area is open and busy.

For us geeks this is interesting you-tube video about Starlink.
click here
Thanks for the link, I'm not far into it but so far is a very good primer on satcomm and RF antenna technology.
The 1st phased array antenna I worked on was the search radar on the F-4 Tomcat at Emerson Electric in STL in 1981. Project patch said "Eye of the Tiger".
I was right out of tech school and in hog heaven.

We have ours sittng in front of the motrhome for a clear shot at the north. I get someone to stop and ask about what that dish thing is at least every other day and many are questiong costs and ease of use. We LOVE it as compared to what most any rv park offers for their free wifi. Not the most low cost, but sure makes our internet use fantasic. There are 4 in the park we are in now and only 130 sites. last rv park we counted 16 in that park.

We've been on the road for two months and have been using our Starlink dish. For the first month, we just set it out in a way it could catch a northern view of the sky. For the second month, we've had it on top of the coach and it does a lot better. It's the same dish we use at home, and we use a mesh bag full of clean gravel to keep it weighed down.

We will miss the de-prioritization of service by just a few days - we will be on the move before then. I guess at 60 days of being mobile with the home dish they downgrade you to RV/mobile service which yields to existing residential Starlink service in the area. Within the first 60 days of being mobile you get your normal priority of traffic (home-grade service). We'll be taking it home, so will resume our normal level of service once we get there.

Getting closer to pulling the trigger on purchasing. Cable just increased by $10.00 for the third time in 5 months.

I have been using Starlink for the last several months. It has been amazing to say the least. This fall we boondocked near Moab and at Goosnecks state park in Utah. We also stayed in southern Colorado and in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan. At all of these places internet was basically non existent. I work full time from my RV so having a strong internet connection is critical for me. Starlink had no issues with my Zoom calls either and I am on them anywhere from 8-10 hours a day. Super satisfied to say the least! It is more expensive than some other options but worth it in my opinion. The major problem is if there trees where you camp. Then it wouldn't be the best choice.

Attachments

• Goosenecks boondocking.jpg
    Goosenecks boondocking.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom