Tennessee Roads Less Traveled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Two things I like to do before venturing into new terretory is to look up the "weird" and "unusual" attractions in that location we'll be in.

It all started years ago when I discovered the "Weird America" books, and I purchased the "Weird Indiana" (I'm from Indiana) and I was very surprised to discover that several items I simply took for granted around my home area were in the book and I was surprised that others found them to be "oddities" or "weird." To me, they were just things I grew up with.

The other thing I enjoy looking up are haunted "things" or paranormal activity locations in the area we're traveling to. Ghost sightings, UFO sightings, and paranormal activity can be very interesting.

Then, when in the area, we will go visit those sites if they are not too far out of our way.

With that said, here's a couple links for Tennessee you may find, either frustrating or helpful. This one is pretty inclusive for different sites to visit. It's an awesome list. You can get lost looking this stuff up for days: Tennessee Tourist Attractions.

Here's a list for paranormal / ghosts / UFO: 7 scariest places in Tennessee, Tennessee Paranormal, and here's one for the UFO enthusiasts (you'll love this one)... Click here, Signal Mountain, Tennessee.

Hopefully, that will get you started. Have fun thinking, traveling, and exploring "outside the box."

I've lived in "tourist trap" areas most of my life. I've learned a few things that apply to any state.

Get a good truckers atlas. This shows normally decent roads that you can take pretty much any loaded RV down. It will keep you off the really bad roads as well as get you around towns that have roads wide enough for 1-1/2 vehicles or congested downtowns/center of towns.

Either have a State Tourism book mailed/downloaded or stop at a State Welcome Center as you get into the state.

Onlyinyourstate.com and atlasobscura.com are two great sites for little known places to visit.

Our family was fond of living history museums and nature. The Jack Daniels Distillery "Dry County Tour" filled a slot for history in our home school curriculum.

I do plan on stopping there on our next trip back East (hopefully our final trip as I hope to not come back here). The route I have plotted puts us thru Memphis where we pick up US64 to the David Crocket SP and then Tims Ford and the Distillery Tour before heading south to a cave in AL that we somehow missed when we lived not too far from it. We also like caves. Well taken care of caves.

Back
Top Bottom