Tips on storing travel trailer for use next January 2025

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pawntan

I'm planning to store my Coachmen Apex 28 feet travel trailer in Montgomery , AL, uncovered . I just want to make sure there is no surprise next year when I pick it up.
Can you please share your tips on storing RV travel trailer for long period of time ? Here is my thought, please add more if any
1. Open at least one roof vent (that has maxx air above it) , so that moisture can get out.
2. take out the RV battery and bring it back home
3. Empty hot water heater tank to prevent internal rusting
4. No need to winterize in Montgomery AL ??
5. Lower jacks on all 4 corners so that pressure is not too much on the tire.
6. should I thrown in couple damp rid inside the cabin ??

We use damp rid in ours during winter storage, 4-5 months. You do have to replace the desiccant every so often though. We buy the 42 ounce refill package. One roof vent opened about an inch.
You should also cover the furnace, water heater and refrig outside vents with screening to keep insects from building nests.
As far as the jacks, there are two opinions on this. We don't use the jacks since we do get some high winds in our area. Better to let the suspension take care of any movement, rather than the jacks and frame. In the storage lot we use, maybe one or two of the 50 trailers have the jacks extended.
We also put 2x10's covered with rubber mats under the tires. And tire covers.

1) I would leave 2 vents open about an inch or so. Less likely to get wind driver rain inside.
2) Not a bad idea to do this if it sits on the trailer tongue to be sure that it is there when you get back. I would also either lock or remove the propane bottles for the same reason. I also always used a quality bike lock on the spare tire.
3) I'd drain the entire water system just to be sure and to prevent stagnate water later.
4) probably not
5) Leaving it on the jacks is important to stabilize the trailer in case of a storm as well, especially if outside. I would inflate all tires to the max on the sidewall before you go. I also put the wheels on something to keep them away from any moisture that could build up, depending on what the surface it sits on is. Mine was concrete and I kept a plastic cutting-board under each tire. Wet concrete can leach chemicals that harm tires.
6) couldn't hurt.

Your #1 and #6 are counterintuitive, do not open any windows, vent, etc. and yes, use DampRid or similar product to keep humidity level in check inside the TT.
I would also place some type of sun-block in every window, I once looked an a new 5er in FL that was a year old on the dealers lot. The sofa was so sun-rotted you could see the stuffing in an armrest, carpeting was bleached out by UV rays where it was exposed to sunlight, wood kitchen table was cracked apart by sunlight.
Yes, drain your entire plumbing system and holding tanks.
Remove all traces of foodstuffs and wash food prep areas to remove all traces of food odors.
Air up tires to sidewall max.+ 10psi, to prevent flat-spotting and introducing a "set" to tire steel cords. Cover tires to prevent sun UV rays from ruining the tires.
Don't forget to turn off LP cylinders.
I would use a lock on the ball coupler to slow down thieves enough so they move to an easier target.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom