to all my wonderful rv er's out there i need 30amp solar advice please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's crazy that someone wants $15k to run power.
Not if it involves putting up power poles (or underground cabling) across a public right-away. It's a damned expensive undertaking. But if you own the land and that 262 ft is your service entrance, you could probably have it done for about half that (depending on the terrain).

Not if it involves putting up power poles (or underground cabling) across a public right-away. It's a damned expensive undertaking. But if you own the land and that 262 ft is your service entrance, you could probably have it done for about half that (depending on the terrain).
They quoted us 30K to run a line. It’s why we’re off grid. But we’re about a mile off the main road and here’s the kicker, the other lots on the lane could tap into what we would have run.

They quoted us 30K to run a line. It’s why we’re off grid. But we’re about a mile off the main road and here’s the kicker, the other lots on the lane could tap into what we would have run.

Yeah I figured your lot must be pretty remote and currently unserved. On my property the county went ~300 feet into my lot from the county road for free but there is a county transformer right outside my driveway.

What I don't understand is I thought you said your neighbor has loaned you a 20 amp plug in to his power. Where does his power come from?

If someone else taps into the line the electric provider should charge them pro rata and give you a rebate.

What I don't understand is I thought you said your neighbor has loaned you a 20 amp plug in to his power. Where does his power come from?
The closest neighbor we have with power is 3/4 mile down the lane, we’re at the end of the lane, it wasn’t us who got a plugin! Our power comes from a generator and solar. Propane powers most of our appliances, anything minor like a blender or tv comes off the generator so does lighting which is 12 volt or LED. We used to use kerosene lanterns, but that was ruining our eyesite, so we switched. Electric fences are solar, pumps for this or that are diesel. I think OP said his neighbor was loaning him a plugin.

If someone else taps into the line the electric provider should charge them pro rata and give you a rebate.
I had a friend in Belize and it worked the same way. He lived off-grid about a half mile from the main road. If he wanted a line run to his place, it was $20,000. Afterward, the other two homes on his gravel road could connect for free and not have to reimburse him. He gave them the bird and bought a bigger battery bank.

The neighbors thought he was being an ass because he was the "rich American" and should pay for it. The guy lived on Social Security and day trading.

That’s what I said but that’s not how it works. It’s a co-op and I don’t know if that’s why or not.
We have a co-op here and I think they also work like that. When I first arrived I thought I was with the co-op and visited them. They clued me in that I had FPL - Florida Power and Light.

Maybe there is a difference in their charters where a co-op can charge the users for supply infrastructure. FPL may have state funding and also (I haven't checked) may have the less challenging areas where infrastructure is mostly done.

sorry guys i got away for so long, i've got to check my settings on here i'm not getting any notifications of new replys,,here in allen county if your a camper you have to pay for everything, if i were a mobile home or house they would run two primary lines for free which is transformer pole to transformer pole and they said i can only go 160ft under ground they call that secondary so i was too far for that,,i would have to cross others property and clear a 30 foot wide swath of clearance they said from the ground straight up to infinity,,don't think the neighbors would like me clearing their timber, huge tulip poplars galore,,tree clearing alone probably near 7 grand alone, setting new pole and transformer well over 5 grand, then me running underground to new pole about another 5 grand,,they are really camper prejudiced here,, i called them camper racist and accused them of camper profiling lol j/k i was nice. but i did get my solar figured it out as soon i quit panicking about electricity and realized i just don't use that much to justify the expense and install. was easier to buy another 400$ generator so now i have 2 brand new ones, both with ttr 30amp camper plug,,i can run a generator a cpl hour day charge everything watch a movie, cpl cups of coffee, takes about 15 min for 6 gal water heater to make scalding hot water,, i figured if i can keep from 3 to 6 $ a day in gas it's about the same as a monthly electrical bill,,,and i was so busy installing the wood stove and running down fittings and adapters,,i moved 24 ton of dirt, and 5 ton of gravel its been exhausting but fun

Attachments

• 20231118_165942.jpg
    20231118_165942.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231117_130000.jpg
    20231117_130000.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231117_125944.jpg
    20231117_125944.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 7
Yeah I figured your lot must be pretty remote and currently unserved. On my property the county went ~300 feet into my lot from the county road for free but there is a county transformer right outside my driveway.

the neighbor has his pole across his street in front of his house,,hes on the next street behind me,,so basically i would have to come off his transformer come across his street to another property that sides his and is behind me down at the bottom of a hill, then i would have to run 163 feet down hill underground to the new pole,,his garage though is just up a hill to the left of me behind his house, it's nearest to me. the back corners of our propertys meet.. there are transformers in 4 directions somewhat near me but would require permission from land owners and massive tree clearing any way i go. and would be the same anyone could tie in off my run for free after i spend all the money, even if i were to come down my street from a near pole i would have to get permission from every lot owner the line will pass and cut clear 15 feet back into their property and these are very heavily wooded lots,,i even said to the engineer they sent as we walked i said thats not fair not one transformer pole out here has no clearance of 15 to 30 feet the ones on the streets are on a 5 foot wide easement and the property rules say anyone at anytime has access to this 5 foot across any and all properties, but they want me to cut 10 foot back further into these peoples lots, not one power line out there has that kind of clearance, i even pointed it out and said well thats our policy,,so,, ,luckily the water main i ran for 2800.00$ if anyone ties in i get some money back from the new resident.

the neighbor has his pole across his street in front of his house,,hes on the next street behind me,,so basically i would have to come off his transformer come across his street to another property that sides his and is behind me down at the bottom of a hill, then i would have to run 163 feet down hill underground to the new pole,,his garage though is just up a hill to the left of me behind his house, it's nearest to me. the back corners of our propertys meet.. there are transformers in 4 directions somewhat near me but would require permission from land owners and massive tree clearing any way i go. and would be the same anyone could tie in off my run for free after i spend all the money, even if i were to come down my street from a near pole i would have to get permission from every lot owner the line will pass and cut clear 15 feet back into their property and these are very heavily wooded lots,,i even said to the engineer they sent as we walked i said thats not fair not one transformer pole out here has no clearance of 15 to 30 feet the ones on the streets are on a 5 foot wide easement and the property rules say anyone at anytime has access to this 5 foot across any and all properties, but they want me to cut 10 foot back further into these peoples lots, not one power line out there has that kind of clearance, i even pointed it out and said well thats our policy,,so,, ,luckily the water main i ran for 2800.00$ if anyone ties in i get some money back from the new resident.
forgot to mention all the lots are 70 ft wide by 100 ft deep,,so every 70 feet i need a owners permission to hack out their trees,,its crazy , im disappointed in the realtor that sold it to assuring me utilites were at the road ready to hook up to,,but shame on me for not doing my research better, i know better than to trust commissioned sales people

forgot to mention all the lots are 70 ft wide by 100 ft deep,,so every 70 feet i need a owners permission to hack out their trees,,its crazy , im disappointed in the realtor that sold it to assuring me utilites were at the road ready to hook up to,,but shame on me for not doing my research better, i know better than to trust commissioned sales people
I'm not one for suing others over mistakes, but that is a serious misrepresentation that materially affected your decision to buy the property. Every state has real estate transaction regulations covering that sort of thing and one of the major reasons a realtor has to be professionally trained and licensed.

We’ve lived off grid for the last 10 years and heat with wood stoves. Vermont castings (if they’re even still made) have been the best. “Always have 2“ is an off grid rule we follow. Always have 2 heat sources, 2 power sources, etc.

We bought a class c earlier this year and have been “camping” in our front yard. We’re in SE Ohio. We’ve learned a lot doing that and from this forum. One recent lesson was that the propane furnace drains your battery pretty quickly. Like in one night of cold. We have solar, but only 1 panel and one battery. The starter system on the furnace is what does the draining. At some point we’re going to look at upgrading somehow but we have other fish to fry right now. Our goal is to stay out of the cold once we get going.

Another thing you might want to look is Automatic generator startup (AGS). There is a remote switch in the coach and a unit near the generator that allows you to set it to automatically turn on the generator under certain conditions, like a specific time, temperature or a certain battery voltage. We have ours set to 11.5 volts to kick on because the propane heater kills the battery. Problem with our AGS is that it’s not working so we can’t report how well it works, but we like the idea of it. When we get it working, well put the solution in that thread.

Pearls from another newbie….
i agree with you so much and sorry so late to reply i have been scrambling crazy to complete 30 projects before hard cold january hits,,but yes on that great advice and from the others 2- 3 of everything is key especially off grid and so remote,,the wood stove install now gives me 3 heat options, and running the wood stove at about 400 to 600 degrees, that keeps the double wall chimney at the ceiling at about 94 degrees even at the hottest stove temp, it is working out great, warm and nice, but not too hot. i listened to gary also about the extra propane tanks, and i just re done all the lines new regulator all new gauges,,and now have double generator, 3 ways to prepare food and heat water, i'm not sure about ags or educated on that yet, i think my kodiak is very basic simple, a converter under the fridge and fuse panel, and my control panel is very basic,,slideout water pump, water heater ,tanks and battery level. i found the fridge on propane is much better, uses a trickle of propane and like 10 watts, seems to stay colder even allowing me to move the temp selector from 3 on electric to lowest setting 1 on propane. it has all been quite challenging but so much fun. from developing the wooded hill side lot up above barren river lake, to customizing the camper to my needs and the lifestyle i want to live, i think when i'm all set i will have 4 main monthly bills, water, trash, truck insurance, cell phone. about 160 to 200 a month average, oh and my yearly property tax but that too is simple at 36 dollars a year, this has been my goal throughout all this to be small and simple. thanks thomas

Sounds like you have something workable.
yes i was very fortunate to find this lot for $3,500 and to be able to level a liveable area, and make it work, alot of lots around the area are 20 to 30 grand. even though it wasn't quite as the realtor said and like gary said i did think about misrepresentation legal action but i can make it work and i'm still pleased for the price and location..

I'm not one for suing others over mistakes, but that is a serious misrepresentation that materially affected your decision to buy the property. Every state has real estate transaction regulations covering that sort of thing and one of the major reasons a realtor has to be professionally trained and licensed.
lol yes i'm with you on that i thought long n hard but i'm like you i hate to sue and drag through all that, but for price and location i really can't beat it. just cost me a little more work and sweat equity but still so worth it from my numbers i put in on another reply on here. i think i'm still ahead. thomas

hey rocky hill, so sorry just found this in my email, the wood stove has saved me, we got down to 1 degree here about 12 below wind chill, i don't know why i did'nt install it earlier, than worry about electric heat so much. were climbing back up to 50's even 60 by end of week, crazy for this time of year here. but lucky for me, i did have frost creeping in along base boards in bedroom, and at floor in slide out. at about 30 degree outside i can run wood stove about 300 f. and its perfect, using small split logs and kindling in my small e.p.a us stove i just have to refill more often, but at 1 degree i had to really load it and get it up closer to 600 to 630 degree, but even at that temp i'm still about 94 degree where double wall chimney passes through camper roof so i'm good and safe, and i cut a 18 inch square hole for 9 inch thick chimney to pass through so it touches nothing, was a little un nerveing cutting a hole that big in roof but i'm very pleased with the results. thanks for checking on me, hope you and yours are all safe and well

After a few days I wasn't on here. Glad you're well and pleased with your set up. Other than not enjoying the cold temps we made it fine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom