Towing a Lincoln Navigator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm guessing you want a 3-row seating vehicle and one that can be nicely equipped, maybe to what many might consider "luxury class". The 4-down towable models I can think of that might meet that criteria include, Chevy Traverse, GMC Yukon & Chevy Tahoe, Ford Expedition, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and yes the Escalade/Suburban/Yukon-XL triplets.

Does it have to be new? Vehicles in that class often come off an executive lease after 2 years and have very little mileage or wear.

I'm guessing you want a 3-row seating vehicle and one that can be nicely equipped, maybe to what many might consider "luxury class". The 4-down towable models I can think of that might meet that criteria include, Chevy Traverse, GMC Yukon & Chevy Tahoe, Ford Expedition, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and yes the Escalade/Suburban/Yukon-XL triplets.

Does it have to be new? Vehicles in that class often come off an executive lease after 2 years and have very little mileage or wear.
Right. We were set on the Expedition after moving up from the mid-size vehicles, and we had started with the Grand Cherokee L. The space for the dogs to jump in and out was what sold us on the Large SUV class over the latter. And then after my wife sat in the Navigator seat, we moved up from the Expedition.

We looked at the Escalade after we saw the Navigator, and they are so limiting the dealer supply that they are selling for 15k over MSRP in the higher trim levels. We looked at the Suburban when we were at the Cadillac dealer and she didn't really like the interior styling even in the higher trim levels. I am not familiar with the other Chevies, but will take a look.

I think if we can't get confirmation on the Navigator setup, we will be between the Expedition and the Grand Cherokee.

It doesn't have to be new - we almost bought a Concierge Navigator last week, but the black interior ended up being a deal breaker.

The Lincolns are quite nice. I came close to buying a Lincoln Nautilus a couple years ago, but a pristine, almost new, Cadillac XT5 with the beige leather interior turned up and we jumped on that instead. I don't like the black or charcoal gray interiors that are so common these days.

The Lincolns are quite nice. I came close to buying a Lincoln Nautilus a couple years ago, but a pristine, almost new, Cadillac XT5 with the beige leather interior turned up and we jumped on that instead. I don't like the black or charcoal gray interiors that are so common these days.
I agree with you on the color options. We went back to look at the Grand Cherokee today, and the interior color options were a non-starter. They are almost all black in the dealer inventory, and the only other color available is orange pumpkin! What were they thinking? Black, or a color that most people are repulsed by. How difficult is it to do sandstone or a nice beige or cream?

Every discussion with my wife comes back to the Navigator. Absent the possibility of a wiring harness, we are considering a wireless light panel that goes on the roof. Just came across that when asking about the wiring harness. Does anyone have any experience positive or negative with that? I know it's more work, and has the potential to leave blemishes on the roof, but life is about compromise - right?

Yeah, or so another offroad vehicle can help it out of trouble on a trail. Also so it can pull things itself (backing up, that is). In any case, irrelevant for 4-down towing. For that a tow bar is needed, and that requires a "base plate" to connect to the Navigator chassis.
Has anyone in history ever seen a Lincoln Navigator on a dirt road much less on a trail?

Has anyone in history ever seen a Lincoln Navigator on a dirt road much less on a trail?
Right - it does seem like they are putting in a solution without a real world problem. We don't plan on doing much off-road driving. If that was on the checklist, I would get one of the Trailhawk models, maybe a Wrangler. Our main requirement is interior space and comfort.

Right - it does seem like they are putting in a solution without a real world problem. We don't plan on doing much off-road driving. If that was on the checklist, I would get one of the Trailhawk models, maybe a Wrangler. Our main requirement is interior space and comfort.
I just think if you can afford a new Lincoln Navigator for a toad, you can afford to have it properly outfitted. There are a multitude of threads on every RV forum on the internet dedicated to resolving issues with wireless connectivity issues, ie., "I have an app that allows me to operate my interior lights without getting up from my chair ( because getting up to turn off a light is hard) but it's not working and I got rid of all the wall switches, please help". Or, "the wifi device on the wall that controls everything in my MH and can't be overridden is out and I'm stuck up here on Podunk Mtn. with the jacks down and the slides out, I just climbed a tree to get a cellphone signal. I called the component manufacturer's hotline and the guy in Mumbai said I could need a new manipulator relay on the motherboard , possibly, maybe, which only costs $1500.00 + $400.00 shipping from Yaxhuang, China as soon as they're back in stock, what should I do, please hurry ?".

Last edited:
I just think if you can afford a new Lincoln Navigator for a toad, you can afford to have it properly outfitted. There are a multitude of threads on every RV forum on the internet dedicated to resolving issues with wireless connectivity issues, ie., "I have an app that allows me to operate my interior lights without getting up from my chair ( because getting up to turn off a light is hard) but it's not working and I got rid of all the wall switches, please help". Or, "the wifi device on the wall that controls everything in my MH and can't be overridden is out and I'm stuck up here on Podunk Mtn. with the jacks down and the slides out, I just climbed a tree to get a cellphone signal. I called the component manufacturer's hotline and the guy in Mumbai said I could need a new manipulator relay on the motherboard , possibly, maybe, which only costs $1500.00 + $400.00 shipping from Yaxhuang, China as soon as they're back in stock, what should I do, please hurry ?".
I am definitely committed to spending the money to do this right. Wireless is not my preference. My challenge with this combination is that I have been unable to get Lincoln, the harness manufacturers, and a local tow installation company to definitely agree on a wired solution that they will all support. I was hoping to see if someone here had used these kinds of units and what their experience has been, so I at least have a backstop to get comfortable I can move forward with the purchase.

:D In their defense, I guess we can buy and use the vehicle we want and can afford.

I got some people in a pi**ing contest with me on a RAM forum because I asked why someone would spend $50k - $70k for a truck, then never use it as a truck. You know, hauling lumber, towing an RV, etc. They can't fathom that, although I keep mine mechanically sound, I only sweep it out when it gets crud on the floor, and I've had it for 3 1/2 months and took a hose to it once in May because the pollen was building up on the windshield. I sold my 2000 Silverado when I bought this one in March and I had washed it about 2 weeks before it sold. Before that, I don't remember when the last time was I took a rag to it, and I think the last time I waxed it was in 2015. It's a truck.

Last edited:
:D In their defense, I guess we can buy and use the vehicle we want and can afford.

I got some people in a pi**ing contest with me on a RAM forum because I asked why someone would spend $50k - $70k for a truck, then never use it as a truck. You know, hauling lumber, towing and RV, etc. They can't fathom that, although I keep mine mechanically sound, I only sweep it out when it gets crud on the floor, and I've had it for 3 1/2 months and took a hose to it once in May because the pollen was building up on the windshield. I sold my 2000 Silverado when I bought this one in March and I had washed it about 2 weeks before it sold. Before that, I don't remember when the last time was I took a rag to it, and I think the last time I waxed it was in 2015. It's a truck.
Yep - different strokes for different folks. Viva le difference! And while I am on the subject of cliches, Happy wife, Happy Life. If she wants easy in and out for the dogs with the Full size SUV, and plush massage seats for when we are piddling around our travel destinations, it's my duty and honor to make it happen! :)

Yep - different strokes for different folks. Viva le difference! And while I am on the subject of cliches, Happy wife, Happy Life. If she wants easy in and out for the dogs with the Full size SUV, and plush massage seats for when we are piddling around our travel destinations, it's my duty and honor to make it happen! :)
You got that right.

Only if they are following Google maps though AK, AL or Texas...
Or Arkansas.

I was coming back from an RV dealer about an hour and a half north of me a couple months ago and decided to let my Garmin take me home. I ended up on some really out-of-the-way country roads that eventually dumped onto a dirt road that followed alongside some farmland. I was heading in the right direction so I figured, what the heck. Twenty minutes later I popped out onto a small state highway and knew where I was. I also knew that had I gone the route I originally planned I would have made it to that same spot about 15 minutes earlier.

Or Arkansas.

I was coming back from an RV dealer about an hour and a half north of me a couple months ago and decided to let my Garmin take me home. I ended up on some really out-of-the-way country roads that eventually dumped onto a dirt road that followed alongside some farmland. I was heading in the right direction so I figured, what the heck. Twenty minutes later I popped out onto a small state highway and knew where I was. I also knew that had I gone the route I originally planned I would have made it to that same spot about 15 minutes earlier.

I followed my GPS through a dirt road in AZ that looked like a utility pole service road. It was rutted and terrible. I even passed an electric company bucket truck fixing a pole.

I was in my Jeep and on vacation so I thought this was just dandy and an adventure. Way better than I40.

1 hour and 20 miles later 3 miles from my destination I came to the locked 10 foot gate - LOL...

If you are wondering - it was Winslow to the meteor crater.

I followed my GPS through a dirt road in AZ that looked like a utility pole service road. It was rutted and terrible. I even passed an electric company bucket truck fixing a pole.

I was in my Jeep and on vacation so I thought this was just dandy and an adventure. Way better than I40.

1 hour and 20 miles later 3 miles from my destination I came to the locked 10 foot gate - LOL...

If you are wondering - it was Winslow to the meteor crater.
They built a new section of highway about 15 miles north of me that will eventually tie into another section about 20 miles north of that. Two years after it was opened my Garmin still didn't show it on the map, so on a whim I punched in the coordinates to the Lowe's, which I had originally had to take another route to get to. The poor machine about had a coronary, thinking I was shooting across open country at 65 MPH. I kept expecting it to start yelling, "Terrain - Pull up! beep-beep-beep Terrain - Pull up!" :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom