towing vehicle inspection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pawntan

For full timers that goes from state to state every couple months, what do you guys do with windows sticker inspection that must be done annually ?
Do you have to drive back to home state at least once a year ? What if we do not have home in home stat anymore and just full time RV hop on to different states every 3 months ?

Many full-timers establish residency in a state of their choosing. Some popular states for this purpose are Florida, Texas, Wyoming and South Dakota.
An internet search for "what state residency is best for full-time RV?" will yield important questions to consider.

Check with the state DMV where you're vehicle is registered. Some don't require an inspection until you return to the state whenever that might be. I think Texas does that, and I know NY will send you a 10 day temporary inspection sticker that doesn't start until you reenter the state.

Many states are dropping vehicle inspections so keep that in mind. And some like Texas as of July 2023 only require inspections in the heavily populated counties.

Based on your other posts, thinking of leaving RV in FL, and driving back and forth to MA, I would not worry about MA inspection. Personally, I'd take the tag off with a razor knife keeping tags current if needed based where you leave it. Should you bring it back, have it inspected fairly soon. (What would MA do if you left your RV on your property 5 years without moving it? ) same scenario, I wouldn't worry about the leo's in the states in-between. But that's just me... (and I live in a state without inspections)

Many states are dropping vehicle inspections so keep that in mind. And some like Texas as of July 2023 only require inspections in the heavily populated counties.
That’s only emissions testing and that goes into effect 1/1/2025. It won’t however impact MH’s, they were never subject to emissions testing.

That’s only emissions testing and that goes into effect 1/1/2025. It won’t however impact MH’s, they were never subject to emissions testing.

I think that is a ridiculous law. I live near in a county that requires an an emission inspection. Two bordering counties do not require one, but thousands of those vehicles travel daily into our county to get to the city to work.

Based on your other posts, thinking of leaving RV in FL, and driving back and forth to MA, I would not worry about MA inspection. Personally, I'd take the tag off with a razor knife keeping tags current if needed based where you leave it. Should you bring it back, have it inspected fairly soon. (What would MA do if you left your RV on your property 5 years without moving it? ) same scenario, I wouldn't worry about the leo's in the states in-between. But that's just me... (and I live in a state without inspecti

I am now thinking of going further to just leave the jeep and the RV in Florida What about the Jeep ? Will Massachusetts somehow detect that I do not do inspection in time every year going forward ? I don't know when I will take the Jeep back to Massachusetts yet

I have never filled out above forms as you ask, but I do think you might be over concerned. I'd say again, FL won't have an issue, I couldn't fathom MA tying plate renewal to inspection, and what would happen if you stored your Jeep or RV in a barn for 5 years? You might consider registering and plating RV and Jeep in FL for costs savings and insurance purposes, often a 6 month rule applies. You might wish to call your local DMV for insight.

I'd say again, FL won't have an issue, I couldn't fathom MA tying plate renewal to inspection, and what would happen if you stored your Jeep or RV in a barn for 5 years?
I don't know about other states, but if you live in the Denver Metro area, part of the plate renewal process is getting an emissions inspection, not annually but every two+ years, depending on the vehicle. When the renewal notice specifies the emission test is required you must submit the report with the application.

I have never filled out above forms as you ask, but I do think you might be over concerned. I'd say again, FL won't have an issue, I couldn't fathom MA tying plate renewal to inspection, and what would happen if you stored your Jeep or RV in a barn for 5 years? You might consider registering and plating RV and Jeep in FL for costs savings and insurance purposes, often a 6 month rule applies. You might wish to call your local DMV for insight.
If the state or county requires an inspection, it is quite common to tie tag renewal to a current inspection. It's the most practical way to make sure it gets done. If you are renewing a tag, it is presumed you expect to drive the vehicle and thus also need up to date inspection. If just storing in a barn and not driving, you don't need a current tag or an inspection, so no worries.

States with mandatory inspections may offer procedures for vehicle that are temporarily out-of-state. Check with your state DMV to learn more.

As others have said, no other state cares about your home state inspection status or decal.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom